Thread: My turn....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
  1. Member
    Okiee Dokiee.... I'm outta jail. Outta the horse'piddle(face is healin' up just fine). In spite of everything I did manage to get some stuff done yesterday.

I was under consoles pretty much all of yesterday. As you'll see I did the work in stages. It was between the stages while waiting for contact cement to flash off when I got into trouble. Last time I worked on the console area I nailed down the floor. Good thing I did. I was twistin' and turnin' pushin' and pulling. Hell at times I thought I was break dancing. Earlier, after installing the carpet in the floor area when I finished I stated I didn't know how it came out as far as position goes. Turns out it wasn't bad - but it also wasn't perfect. It did create some problems and did cause some of the seams to end up in the wrong place and visible. But... it is what it is and you'll see what it is when I start posting photos.

The start was easy enough. Stick the carpet to the vertical piece in front of the cooler....

I've not applied to contact cement in this photo. I have held it up. Made sure I could get it under the top cap @ cooler. I did have to do some trimming around the cooler to keep the carpet from puckerin' up but I expected to do that.

Now both surfaces have contact cement on'em.

And here it is stuck in place. You can see where the carpet runs along the cooler on the left hand side and why it required trimming....

Now... under the drivers side console. All told I probably spent 4 hours on this side alone. Cutting, trimming, fitting, checking, cutting....... And still it came out less that what I was shooting for. But it is what it is and it's ain't getting done over.

On this step I did only the foot trough or whatever'in'tha'hell you wanna call it. That little narrow opening that's only on the drivers side. It's virtually impossible to fold all the carpet back and out of the way to put contact cement down without it coming in contact with its-self. This is the reason I'm doing it in stages.

Contact cement is applied and waiting flash off....

Welllll... guess I didn't take any photos of that piece stuck in place. Not to fear.... it's visible in other photos later on.

Once that area was stuck down I then started prepping an fitting the section of carpet that goes over the "step" that exist on both sides of a 209 Gambler console. It was here.... actually it was when I got to the console area that I abandoned the great idea I was going to sand all the areas to enhance to adhesion of the carpet. As you can see in the next photo I started sanding. Sanded for about 1.5 seconds and said "screw this"... Put the sander away for the remainder of the job.

The white marking on the carpet backing is where I'll stop when applying contact cement to the carpet. I rolled it up the step and marked it where it begins to transition from horizontal to vertical up the wall.

At this point trimming/fitting has taken place no contact cement applied.

And now it has contact cement applied and you can see the area to be carpeted a little better.

Not much information here. Now it's stuck down but you can't see it for the overhanging carpet. But you can see a little of the foot trough area that was stuck down earlier.

And the side section nailed in place. As you can see it goes up under a lot of cabling(had to cut tie-wraps to get carpet out and will re-do once carpet is complete). Getting the carpet up under the wiring/cabling isn't all that hard as long as you don't coat it with contact cement. I was careful not to do that so the install went fairly smoothly... The taped wrapped wires visible on the RH side are connected to the foot trim switches and will be run around to the left hand side of the toe trough area when I start buttoning everything back up.

Two pieces left on the drivers side console area... And the next one was an absolute royal pain in the buddinski. If you look on the corner on the left hand side(outside corner) you can see where the seam will be. This seam existed with the original carpet but it was located around the corner so it wasn't visible. That is the result of the carpet not being positioned correctly when I nailed down the floor section. The shiny stuff you see in the back area is the epoxy I used to fill the holes where the fire extinguisher was located. I'm gonna put it back there but figured my chances of locating the same holes was pretty slim. I also epoxied up trim switch mounting hole, hot foot mounting holes, ect....

This is the piece, contact cement applied, that is going in there. I tried getting the original piece to fit but because of the shift in carpet position the original simply would not fit. I tried using the original as a template and made a couple of pieces that still didn't fit. Ended up making a cardboard template that did work after a few fitting/trimming sessions...

And this is the place it's going - contact cement applied.

Stuck in place... The seam is visible. It isn't horrible and would have be perfectly ok if it had been positioned on the inside like it was originally. I worked on that seam for awhile and I suppose I made it better than it was. If I know anything I know this - It ain't coming out for a do over!

I started to not even do this last piece. It's really not visible unless you don't put a piece of carpet there. Then it is visible - go figure. But for what it's worth. Here's what the drivers side looked like upon completion.

On to the passenger side....

It an identical process without the foot trough for the passengerside...

Contact cement applied waiting for flash off....

Guess I got lazy towards the end.... I didn't get photos of each step on the passenger side - 'least I can't locate them. Soooo... on the contact cement flashed off I completed the passenger side carpeting. Oh... I did clean off the side panel before installing carpet...

So... all that's left is the side panel on the drivers side and a small section on the rear deck.

Drivers side vertical panel... Cleaned and ready...

It was a bit of a pain to get the carpet installed with the livewell panel there. I ended up cutting one side of the carpet such that I could wrap the carpet around the livewell panel vs trying to work the livewell panel through a hole in the carpet. Whatever.... it's done.

Last piece! Glued up n' ready to go.... Blue tape w/white mark denotes the center of the piece. The carpet has it's mate stuck to it.

Speaking of it's mate.... Here 'tiz.... glued up n' flashin'....

And installed - DONE!

Some photos of the finished console area....
    Last edited by yupitsme; 07-15-2019 at 09:18 AM.

2. Member
    Reached my photo limit in the last message....

Here's those photos of the console area completed...

I'll get it all cleaned up n' post a few more photos of the completed console area....
    Last edited by yupitsme; 07-15-2019 at 08:22 AM.

3. Member
    Doug have you found anyways to insulate the cooler better mine sucks and I’m not even in your Texas heat
    Lowrance Pro-Staff
    Picasso Outdoors
    PowerTeam Lures
    Red Dirt Baits
    Boing Lures
    E Custom Baits
    Full Throttle Tackle

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CCGambler206 View Post
    Doug have you found anyways to insulate the cooler better mine sucks and I’m not even in your Texas heat
    Yes... I did. I did a write up on it back in 2012. I located that thread but unfortunately I move the photos because the links are bad now. And the text without the photos is pretty useless.

The cooler is part of the inner liner. Then they set the top cap on which has the cooler opening and the lid. There is NO seal between the top cap and the cooler. If you go into the compartment next to the cooler put your fingers where the top cap and the compartment back wall meet at the top - right where the locking hole is for the compartment you're in. You may be able to stick your fingers from the compartment to the into the cooler - I could. I had a photo showing that but I can't find it... This should help...

That condition exist all the way around the top of the cooler. Left and right sides back and front. I ended up making some fiberglass plates to fill the gap then used urethane windshield sealer to both secure the plates and seal the opening... It takes working on it from the outside of the cooler and the inside. It requires pulling the carpet out from under the top cap on both sides so the sealer can stick to the fiberglass. Pulling the carpet out looks like this... Passenger side you should recognized the light hole as the light shining on the cooler from the other side...

Drivers side....

You know when you're trimming carpet on the outside of the cooler and it ends up here.... there's a problem.

Another thing I did is I put a latch on the cooler. Got tired of it filling up when water when it rained real hard.... Don't have a photo of it handy but it looks just like the other 9 lid latches on the boat.

Then I went to the junk yard and got a trunk pinch weld gasket(goes around the opening on the trunk of a car) that I thought would work and installed that around the opening. Looks like this...

Once I get the cooler conditionsed, 2 days with ice/drinks, it'll hold a full cooler of ice a couple of days without adding any. That's in the summer. In the fall/winter/spring. I can go several days,3-4, without adding ice.

5. Member
    Somboddies pirating my thread talking 'bout coolers. Knock it off y'all!!!

So yesterday was install lids day. Do you know the religious song "One day at a time"? If you do... replace the word "day" with the word "lid". Found myself singing that song most of the time I was working on the boat yesterday....

While yesterday was indeed lid day I did have to take a detour. Last year I installed "REAL" lighting in the rod lockers. I put two LED lighting thingee's in each rod locker while removing the poor excuse for lighting that was the original. I put them in with rivets and there's a reason why I did but it don't matter now. I tried sealing them up but they were forever leaking into the rod lockers. So now was a good time to remedy that problem....

The lights I installed look like this - Got'em at Academy. I think they cost 4-5 bucks each.

If you're own a boat - especially an older boat - you're gonna end up working on it. It's alway a good thing to have SS fastener on hand for any need that arises. This is years of accumlation. Needing 1 and buying 5 for spares that you know will be needed. You just don't know when...

Back to the lights...

The goal was to eliminate the leaks.... So needed to seal the screws that were replacing the rivets. I gave making my own gaskets a shot. With the results coming out like this....

The red box contains a gasket maker punch set that I've used a lot to make virtually any gasket I need - long as it's made out of some form of sheet gasket material. I made spare gaskets for the thermostat housings, spare gaskets for the poppet valve, ect... anyway....

What I made looks like.... the blue thingee...

I didn't like the results. I though it was ugly, the blue would show once installed and it would take forever to make them. Searched for a better solution.... Found it.

I just took some rubber vacuum line and cut off small sections that would fit on the 10-24 screw.... Looks like this.

But to keep the screw head from tearing the rubber when tightening it needed to be lubricated so I did this...

Used the brush to apply the grease on the underside of the screw head...

Once installed it looked like this. Quick wipe to remove the excess grease and it was a done deal...

Still ain't time to get back to the lids. One more side track job need doing....

Hatch gaskets. I replaced all of them many years ago and for the most part they've held up. Some of them have torn the seal from the mounting strip. Looked like this...

Now you can go to the auto parts store and buy some 3M Weatherstripping Adhesive and remedy this ORRRR.... I already have a bucket of contact cement - which is all the weatherstripping adhesive is. So I used the contact cement I had on hand. I don't have any photos of the finished product but just close your eyes and imagine what those seals would look like if they weren't torn - and that's what the finished job looked like.

OK... now onward to the lids...

Well wouldn't ya' know it.... Yet another side trackin' job pops up.... I've yet to nail down the carpet edges on the front deck that goes around the hatch openings....

Put down tape to keep from having to be so careful when applying contact cement....

Then applied the contact cement, let it flash off then stuck it down... Looked like this when completed...

NOW... on to the lids... How anti-climatic... Put the hinges on... Bolt'em to the boat.... Put the hinges on.... Bolt'em to the boat.... ad infinitum it seems...

10 Of'em to be exact...

Laid out w/required type-number of hinges on each lid.

Then it was install hinges, cut carpet for lock/latch opening, install lock/latch and then install lid on boat.... ov'a and ov'a again. I got 3 done yesterday along with all the side track jobs that kept popping up. Then when I ain't doing nothing I'm also restoring two flood houses.

No photo of hinge install - pretty straight forward. Locate holes(think awl) install hinges.

Install lock/latch...

Hit message photo limit....
    Last edited by yupitsme; 07-16-2019 at 08:32 AM.

6. Member
    End of previous message...

Install lid on boat....

Open...

Closed...

Open....

Closed...

Open...

Closed...

Boring?... Yeah... was for me too!

3 Lids installed - 7 More to go.

7. Member
    Wow, Wow, Wow!!!

Nothing I am doing compares to your work on this carpet job. I did repair a toilet yesterday and did not have to go the emergency room. That is all I got to compare to all your work.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Prestridge View Post
    Wow, Wow, Wow!!!

Nothing I am doing compares to your work on this carpet job. I did repair a toilet yesterday and did not have to go the emergency room. That is all I got to compare to all your work.
    Toilet job huh???? LOL Yeah... that sound's 'bout right!

Thanks to all that posted response... Sometimes it's what makes documenting all of this stuff happen. In the past I've seen other folks posting on replacing carpet. Photos of the before.... Photos of the carpet removed.... photos of the carpet installed. Damn looks easy! And it is - it's not hard at all really. It just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other n' keeping going. You know - Eat the elephant one bite at a time. I gotta tell ya'.... I'm getting kinna weary of gnawin' on'a elepahants ass. But we'er getting there...

9. Member
    Making progress..... Did run into one snafu but it wasn't all that dramatic....

Gonna show some of my methods of getting this done. It's simply the way I did it... there's a lot of good ways to get this done....

When I'm putting hinges back on the lids. Like everyone else I use an awl or similar tool, nail will work, to locate the holes... But then... I take it just a step further. I take a drill the size of the bolt hole and run it through the path created by the awl. For me it seems to make it easier to push the screw through the carpet/hole. Probably 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other if it's really beneficial or not....

Where I can I use this setup to tighten the hinge screws. I can get them tighter, easier than trying to twist the phillips head screw.

But.... that li'l 1/4" cordless impact driver packs a bit of a punch and...

Can happen...

The next lid in line was the main compartment lid. And it did pose a bit of a problem... When I stripped the carpet off I noticed there were a double set of holes drilled for the hinge screws. Obviously 1 set was right and one set was wrong.... I marked the ones I "thought" it was. Welllll.... we all know how that plays out - seen this movie too many times! I checked all the hinges I had and they were all the same. So... had to be the holes - that weren't marked- figures. They were easy enough to locate. Find one, put the hinge up there to mark where the other'ns were. So got that done. Something is still "off" I bought 20 oz. carpet. I am having no problems opening and closing lids. When my buddy bought this boat in '97 we noticed the carpet was way thicker/plush than that of my '96. There's nothing doing about the way it is but I'm thinkin' I could'a gone with 24oz. 'cept I don't think 24oz was even available in the burgundy. But... this is what I saw after installing the main compartment lid.

There is little to no side to side movement possible to, even without the hinges on. And there is certainly not enough to correct what is there. So....'nuther case of "it is what it is..."

Soooo... back to...

Opened...

closed...

open...

closed...

Open...

Closed...

And with that shot of the cooler lid you can see a part of my cooler problem solution... Gambler folks will recognize that the latch on the cooler lid is not factory. From the factory there was no way to secure the lid. When it rained hard the cooler would fill up with water, which melted the ice... which defeated the purpose of havin' a cooler....

10. Member
    Teaser shots.....

I will say this.... This shop replaced every sq. inch of foam on the seat back, seat bottom, and both pedestal seats with high density foam that wasn't even available in '95. And... cost for all of that was $475.00. I didn't have to remove the covers from anything. I just unbolted and toted parts n' pieces 3 doors down... That cost also included recovering the seat saver step.

11. Member
    Dang... No body told me the livewell lids were gonna be that difficult to re-install. But they are. Had to leave the hinges on the boat as there's no access to the nuts on the backside. At best the heads of the screws are pointing straight down 3/4" from the top of the livewell. Just getting the screws in takes... A lotta luck. Then... ok... so ya' got'em in. Now - tighten them down. Hahahahaha.... make a mad man outta ya'.

I used several tools methods to get the job done.

The rear hinge is the easiest. I use the duck bill vice grips to pinch the hinge flange tight to the door. Used the awl to line up the hole. Then get a screw in the first hinge hole. Normally you can't just stick the screw in the hole and push it in. You can get it started then twist it in while standing on your head so your fingers/hand is pointing the right way. Now you can get a nut on it. Then, not pictured I used a 90 degree phillips screw driver to hold the screw while tightening with the impact driver. Sounds easy....

And then you get to the front hinge. Livewell opening and gasket are in the way. Can't use the 90 degree screw driver. But you can use a stubby phillips screw driver held in place with a pair of vice grips while you tighten the nut with the impact driver!

Then.... ta'hell'wid' all'a that OPEN... CLOSED BS.... I got two livewell lids installed w/o latches.... Here they be.

Was gonna.... Install front deck trim until I discover I do not have any 1/8" pop rivets that are long enough. Nor does Lowe's, nor does Home Depot. Grainger wants to sell me 7,000 of them. And a place on line has a hell of a deal for a lot of 9,000. I need about 75 of'em. I reckon I'll find'em some where....

12. Member
    Been a this n' that kinna day. Carpet is installed. Now going back together with everything that had to come off...

Got one lid, rigging compartment, left. Got tired of doing lids so did other things today.... Got the trim around the front deck carpet... Photos came out like crap so will forego posting them.

This is a teaser shot that does have the deck trim in it. Dang.... that upholstery is looking good!!! Can't wait to stick it back it. But that will be the last thing I do...

Biggest task in front of me now is putting the drivers side back together. Got livewell panel, engine controller, ignition switch, ambient temp probe, hot foot, SS3D module and foot trim switches to install. Soooo... Let's get started...

Engine controller needed installing so it got installed....

First you cut carpet out of opening....

Then you install bezel...

Then you bolt controller to bezel... you can see it in the center of the bezel...

Then you install shift lever w/trim switch wiring...

This get's kinna tricky because of a brass barrel bolt that holds the shifter on. The head is pretty thin and got a bit rounded off trying to get it out. Ended up using an easy out to remove it. The center of the tube bolt is not used for anything so a little burring up won't hurt it. But getting it back in was also a problem. It's recessed inside the shift handle and not readily accessible. The head was rounded off a bit... I just needed to get it started after that regular socket will take it the rest of the way. Soooo.... put the same easy out I used to remove it in a vice then turned the tube bolt on it till it bound up real good. Then installed it easy as pie. When it started getting snug, because I'm using an easy out, a little right hand pressure and the easy out released. Then 150 IP(Inch pounds) on the torque wrench and "done"..

Then stick the "M" emblem in the tube bolt and it really is done...

Then the livewell panel. Carpet already cut out so it a matter of screwing it in place.

That left the ignition switch and a ambient temp probe to install... Cut carpet n' stick the stuff in. When done it looks like this....

I thought I was getting a better shot of the drivers side console area.... apparently not...

Left to do in the drivers area:

1.) Install hot foot
    2.) Install SS3D module
    3.) Install foot trim switches
    4.) Install fire extinguisher
    5.) Splice kill switch wiring
    6.) Splice trim switch @ shifter wiring.

Left to do in the console area....

All of the above plus:
    1.) Gold trim around edging
    2.) Trim carpet at deck drain and install screen
    3.) Install seats(That won't come until windshields are completed)

13. Member
    Again, fantastic work.

Being stuck under the console, yikes. The fumes must have been horrendous.

14. Member
    Actually the fumes were, for the most part, non-existent. I had a big stand fan blowing from the front of the boat and it seemed to curl under the consoles when the wind got there. Wasn't bad at all. Just got done sticking the seat back in before I put the rigging compartment lid back on. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS!!!! The long ratchet I got from Harbor Freight would'a been the ticket "IF" it actually worked or would hold a socket.

15. Member
    Just about done.... For photo management I use Google's Picasa and Photobucket for photo hosting. Both are struggling to keep up.

In this photo the drivers side console is completed. To complete it took reinstalling: hot foot, SS3D module, fire extinguisher and foot trim buttong. Additionally had to splice kill switch wiring and shifter/throttle trim switch wiring. A person doesn't really think about all the stuff they're taking off, moving until that person has to reinstall all'a that stuff....

And I have one rod buckle left to install on the bow....

And the rear deck is done....

Got some carpet clean-up left to do. Install the bench seat bottom and step/seat saver and that will bring to a close the carpet replacement and re-upholstery projects. Last thing on the list is windshields and I hope to complete that this weekend. Then it's back to fishin'!!!!!

looks amazing and really freshens the boat up!

great job YUP!

you should do yourself a 1UP+ and install the Blinker style Trim switch...you'll end up never using the foot trim again!
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by low slung cruiser View Post
    looks amazing and really freshens the boat up!

great job YUP!

you should do yourself a 1UP+ and install the Blinker style Trim switch...you'll end up never using the foot trim again!
    Thanks LSC!.... Actually - I'm one of the few that really likes the foot trim. When I re-installed the switches I moved them far enough apart so I can plant my foot between them. That had been my only issue with the foot switches.

18. Member
    Hummmm... wonder what this means....

Ahhh Haaaa... It means I'm finished with the carpet install. Well actually I need to install the grommets in the rod locker drain holes and the rating plate. Yeah, I'm gonna stick it back in. I'm way past wantin' a 250HP on it.

So the question is: How long can a work table remain empty? Answer: Not long!

Do you believe there's a Gambler windshield in there? Actually... there's two of them!

19. Member
    O'tay.... drum roll please.... Hahahahah... I got one windshield done and installed. Took all day so including R&D work I've got about 2 days in one windshield.

If you've been following along you saw the creation of the test windshield made of clear plexiglass. If you didn't... it's some pages back in this thread. The test piece was to show me that it could be done and, more or less, how to do it. It actually came out pretty decent, the test piece, until I tried to flare the top of it which messed it up a bit. But still I learned what I needed to know. Today was different in so much as this time I'm firing live bullets - it counts. I'm also using a different material, acrylic plastic instead of plexiglass. The only thing I could tell different between the two is I could not successfully flame the edges on the acrylic plastic. Gonna have to hand polish - prolly ain't gonna happen. It looks "good'nuff" as it is.

I had a template made during the test piece exercise.... To transfer the shape of the template to the acrylic plastic I just stuck it on protective paper on the plastic. I only spray contact cement on the template. I do not apply any to the protective paper on the plastice. I just don't want the template to move while I'm tracing the pattern - Not stick to where I can't get it off. Spraying only one piece does that task nicely.

Then I stick it to the plastic....

But then... I remember there were things about the template that needed fixing...

So I took it off the plastic and stuck it to the window opening on the boat....

Then I started looking for the areas that needed tweeking.... both corners/sides... needed help...

I extended the right hand side to cover the roll bars...

Then I ran across the jig saw blade I used to open the console drain area... Think it's wore out or can I get a few more cuts out of it????

I got happy with the template... re-stuck it to the acrylic plastic and cut'er out...

We've see this song n' dance before....

If you're gonna use this heat gun to melt that acrylic plastic you better have you some of these....

So I did the heat it up n' bend it thing....

Black line on the blue tape indicates where and how much I need to trim for it to fit good...

On to the other side... When creating the test piece I found out that paper won't stretch and it makes bending the plastic harder until the paper breaks. So... best thing is to get the paper outta the bend area.

Got the other side bent then it was back to the work table sanding, filing, grinding, test fitting, sanding, filing, grinding, test fitting.... sanding.... ect.... until I was happy with the fit. Several hours invested in fitting. Just like on the test piece I had "issues" with the plastic wanting to bulge out at the corners - like this.

Pulling... pushing... tugging and turning eliminates that bulge.... Then it was time for the final install. But first.... Needed a cushion/bed for the windshield to rest in. Gorilla tape to the rescue. I did have to paint the edges to keep a thin white like(tape adhesive) from being visible...

I did try flaming the edges. It did not work.

Time to clean it up and complete the final install...
    Next message outta photo space....

20. Member
    Final install of drivers windshield....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast