Thread: My turn....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Thought I'd post some of the tools I've been using to move this project along.....

I haven't used this but I will when I get back on the windshields...

It's a trim router and I could use it to cut out the pattern but I think I'm gonna stick with the jig saw for that.

The trim router Coupled with the sanding drum - will allow me to do the fine line work around the curves where I can't use a body file and sanding board...

Sanding drum in case you didn't pick it up in the previous pic....

These are mortise bits. They absolutely will not grab/pull into the work like a drill bit will. They take a bit more pressure to get them to cut but they don't bind up or pull into the workpiece. I forgot I had'em til I went to my construction trailer to get something else...

This is a laminate roller but it makes a great carpet roller too. With the adhesive I'm using it is necessary to roll the carpet to insure good, consistent bonding.

And.... this is the adhesive I'm using. It's preformed well for me in the past...

And the trowel to put the adhesive on with...

White marker pens are a little easier to see on the dark carpet backing...

And ya' gotta have something to cut the carpet with....

As stated earlier I'm sanding all the carpeted surfaces to ensure good adheasion. Doesn't "need" to be done but for sure won't hurt. To accomplish that task....

And it looks like this when sanded....

And when it's all sanded it looks like this...

But now it's time to get serious.... Kinna hard to see but the outline for the console area carpet is on there - somewhere...

Then after cutting on the dotted line - OK... it wasn't dotted...

Boy... I sho' hope it fits!

It does. Gonna need some trimming because I can't stuff it back up under the top cap like it was and there's no reason to anyway. I can say it didn't just "fall into place"... and will be a handful when it comes time to glue it down. Probably going to be a combination of the Roberts adhesive and contact cement to make it happen.

Under the passenger console...

I had a pic of under the drivers console but it was pretty blurry so I didn't post it here....

All there is to say now is......

NEXT-->

2. Member
    Then while I was taking a break.....

It's all just laid in there with the fit provided by the old carpet pattern cut. It's gonna need massaging as I install it but at least it fits!

The blue tape marks a few of the rivet holes for the trim and where I had rod buckles installed. Didn't need to mark all the holes. Once you get a few located the others "have" to be where the trim has holes.

3. Member
    Yup that boat probably has more history, stories and man hours of love and hate than any boat I know of!!!! God luck with the refurb my friend!
    Carte's Custom

4. Member
    Lol... I suspect you’re right Mark. But... this is it!

Thanks...

5. Member
    I suppose it can be done a lot of different ways. This is the way I'm doing it. Cutting by using the old carpet also means cutting it close. To get it to lay in like it needs to I'm having to tug on it just a bit. Not much but enough to move it too far front to rear by 1/4". No a lot of room for error the way Gambler trims out the carpet with the thin metal trim. If I were to cut it again I might cut oversize and trim to fit once installed like Mark V did. I dunno. Probably 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. I'm putting the fitting time in on the front end. Oversize then trim to fit just puts the time invested in fitting on the back end....

Then... pull it back and put adhesive down.... Which I might do later today. Fer now gotta go earn some cash'ola to pay for all this fun!

6. Member
    Looking fantastic. If I had to do it all over again, I would of done the bow differently. Oversizing and then trimming once down worked ok, and with the trim back down it looks clean, but it wasn't the cleanest job I could of done.

7. Member
    Thanks Mark!

Welp... the bow is done... sorta. Still gotta roll and glue the edges around the hatches. Hindsight being 20/20.... If I had known it was going to go as relatively smooth as it did I could of nailed the hatch edges down at the same time and been totally done with it. But erring on the side of caution ain't necessarily a bad thing.

The is the only shot you get of the gluing process. When given the choice of doing or documenting.... doing won. The areas that look solid adhesive aren't. That's just where I changed directions with the trowel and the lines aren't visible. I fretted a lot about nothing. The fitment of the carpet was about as good as it is gonna get with me doing it. I had thought I was going to do the front section, wait a day, then do the two legs. But when I saw how it was going down I figured doing all at one time was possible.

And then... installed. Not really much to show looks a whole lot like it did just laying in there but now it stuck down - I hope!

8. Member
    Now the reaaaaaallllllyyyyy fun part. Console area....

Kinna hard to fit something your standing/setting on tends to want to move when you do. Soooo to eliminate some of that I clamped the carpet in place...

Well this is sorta after the fact but you get the idea.....

All of the following pictures are of the "fitting" session. Nothing is nailed down at this time. But... this time is coming. I have yet to figure out where I'll start. I originally thought I'd glue the floor down and work from there. But after doing the fitting, trimming, tucking and tightening.... I dunno... Might start in the foot trough on the drivers side - maybe.

Too much over-lap at the cooler where the carpet was installed before the top cap... "They" had it easy...

After a bit of trimming and tucking on both sides and in the middle...

Then different views of the fitting efforts finalized...

Drivers side.... the carpet has slipped some from when I did the fitting but it does fit pretty good when it's where it's supposed to be...

passenger side...

This is at the cooler area again.... On the right hand side you may be able to see the white line I marked.... that's how much I had to remove to get it tucked up under the top cap.

Drivers side with the carpet repositioned...

9. Member
    I don't want no'mo of this chit!!!!

Working on the console area. Or was it working on me???? DAMN..... Had me cryin' like a 2 year old at nap time! And on top of that only ended up with 3 photos... go figger.

As a lot of ya' know I fish Toledo Bend - alot. It's a big, and at times, nasty mean lake. To say I've gotten wet a time or two might be an understatement. If you fish big water n' have never gotten wet.... mo'power to ya'. Took one over the bow several years ago on Conroe. That's when I found out the Gambler drain plate wasn't worth a crap. Also found out whoever installed it couldn't spell "centered" nor could he install a drain cover that way. Took for ever to get the water outta the boat. Well I sorta fixed it I got a better drain plate but never centered it up. This time I took the time to open the hole up so I get full drain capability!

Mo'better....

Now to the *&(*#^(*&^@(*&^$(*& console carpet.... You've seen the pictures of it fit in place. I can not glue the whole area at one time. Just can't do it. So, I'm doing the floor and the header/riser that the seat bolts to first. Then I'll come back and do the verticals and and each side. That'll probably happen Sunday. So... after it was fit I strategically folded it up so after I put the adhesive down it'd be easy to plop the carpet where it needed to be. AIN'T NOTHING EASY!!!

But folded up it looks like this....

Then after adhesive is installed and carpet/adhesive is rolled out and vacuumed it looks like this...

I honestly don't know what I ended up with. There's no way to really check fit for the areas that aren't nailed down yet. I "think" I'm gonna be OK but I reckon I'll find out for sure come Sunday. Tomorrow is lid day.... Gonna see how many front deck lids I can completed tomorrow. There's 5 up front n' 4 in the back.

10. Member
    This is one of the best write-ups ever.

I feel like I am experiencing this adventure with you, without doing any of the work.

Thanks for sharing.

Awesome progress Yup!! Looks fantastic! Lots of great tips in the comments and photos for lots of us! Many thanks for posting the details!!

12. Member
    Thanks all for the compliments...

Whew... yesterday was... trying. To anyone that has carpeted the console area of a Gambler AND used contact cement - MY HAT IS OFF TO YOU! I have no idea how you did it.

For those of you that may not know the console area flooring is part of the inner liner used in the construction of a gambler. This includes: rod lockers, front deck storage lockers, console flooring up to and over the cooler(cooler is part of inner liner). The rod lockers and under seat storage are lined with black felt(y) kind of frabric. Then the console is, of course carpeted. All of that is done before the top cap goes on. Waaaayyyy easier. Makes it possible to employ a couple of three folks to lay the carpet. Once the top cap is on what was a rather simple task becomes immeasurably more difficult. It doesn't matter if you have an army of people there to help there isn't room but for one person.

Today is lid day....

13. Member
    Whew..... pant....pant.... wheeze.... Yesterday was a long n' busy day. As I had said earlier worked on lids all day long. And by "all" day long I mean I started around 6am and shut the lights off at 8pm. But got a lot done.

Several years ago I redid the bunks on the trailer. Actually I rebuilt the entire trailer and the bunks were a small part of that job. I ordered the carpet for the bunks from BassCat. I do not remember the weight but I had some left. Not enough to do anything with so my kids will inherit it 'cuz I ain't throwing it away. Anyway.... The carpet I'm installing came from bassboatseats.com and there is a difference in quality. The stuff I'm installing now isn't very good quality. It's "OK" quality and I believe it'll serve my purpose well it is not Syntec carpet. There is a huge difference in the quality of the backing. The Syntec is smooth, even and consistent. The bassboatseats carpet is, well, none of those things. It frays on the edges, bits and pieces come off. It's just harder to work with due to the lack of backing quality. Once installed I defy anyone to tell me the difference though. The carpet fibers themselves look identical. Only time will tell the story of longevity with this carpet. Will it go 25 years. I don't know and don't care. The last carpet didn't. It made it about 21-22 years. Something I really need to call Gambler about and see if it's still in warranty....

Nuff ramblin'...

These ain't yo'mamma's scissors...

They're made for cutting fiberglass/kevlar fabric. I got'em when I replaced the stringers/knees/inner liner in this boat back in 2010/11. I used them on this job to cut the corner notches and trim the carpet edges when the need arose. Cutting 1/4"-1/2" off the edges with the bassboatseats carpet with a razor was a challenge. It kept wanting to pull apart/fray and the scissors put a halt to all of that...

Batter up! First lid of the day. A little note here... I tried measuring the width/length then adding 1 3/4" to the dimensions and layout the cut using those measurements vs using the frayed, dirty and torn old carpet. I mean... should be simple right? If you answered yes to that question you have not installed bass boat carpet before. Ain't nothing simple. So, I did the measurements and layout. Cut the carpet then fit it to the lid - or tried to fit it to the lid. Came out too small. Could I have solved that problem? Yeah, probably but I didn't want to invest the time and materials to figure out how much more than the 3.5 inches I needed to add to the dimensions. So.... grabbed the old carpet as a template.

Main storage compartment lid.... I put arrows on the backside of the lid. I put arrows on the front of the lid. I put arrows all over the carpet. If I was gonna screw up it would not be because I didn't have enough arrows.... You'll see all the arrows as we move along. After doing 10 lids I had one instance where if the arrow(s) weren't there it could of gone badly...

Rigging compartment lid....

Rod lockers and livewell lid...

Over the years these lids have probably been closed on who-knows-what'all. But it bent them on the edges. So little hammer n' dolly work was called for....

Bent in upper LH corner

Bent no'mo

Bent... Guess I didn't take a picture of un-bent... All in all 3-4 lids needed a li'l TLC...

All the lid patterns are cut and each lid is resting on it's new cover....

I picked these up at Harbor Freight. Thought they might come in handy and they did. They cost .99 per card of 6 - I got 9 cards worth. Didn't use that many but where I did use them nothing else I had in the shop would'a worked.

What I'm doing here.... I have positioned the lid on the carpet. I've checked for fit and trimmed as necessary. Now I want to apply the 6700 Roberts indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive to the lid. To do that I gotta take the lid off the carpet. That means I'll lose the position it's in where all sides fit. I won't lose that position if I mark it! So, leaving the edge on the carpet I pick up one side and roll/stand it up on the edge I'm going to mark. Then, as you can see, I mark horizontal and vertical positioning in three areas so when I go to put the lid back on the carpet it will go back exactly where it was when I picked it up. Can't see but two of the marks - trust me... there's three of'em there.

Then it was time to apply the adhesive....

Then I flipped the lid over - using my alignment marks to get it were it needed to be. But.... Unfortunately I have no photos of that step. But it ain't that hard to figure out.

So then I repeated that process 9 more times to get all 10 lids stuck to carpet. But I did not do the corners/edges at that time. I figured, for me, it would be easier to make the finishing work a multi-step process. At this point I have the face of the lids nailed down. Next step is to trim/fit/glue the corner tabs. At this point I shift from using the 6700 adhesive to Weldwood contact cement. Had I continued on with the 6700 every corner and every edge would have required clamping for a 24 hour period - yuck... No Thanks.

Step 2 complete. 40 corner tabs trimmed/fit/secured... Here's where the li'l spring clamps came in handy. Probably wasn't really required but didn't hurt....

I didn't have a clue how long all of this was going to take or if I'd hit delays. Wanted to make sure I had enough brushes to complete the task at hand. As it turned out... I used one brush. Well 2 brushes. When I did the corners I used a 1.5" brush. But a guy can't have too many chip brushes in the shop.... Got'em at Harbor Freight. I don't recall the cost of the box but it was less than 1/2 the price vs Home Depot.

Every lid required fitting/trimming after cutting from the old carpet pattern. They were all 1/4"-1/2" too big.

For whatever reason my photos seem to have gotten out of order but this photo was actually taken prior to gluing the corners in. In this one all the edges and corners have been trimmed to fit like they need to...

Then after all the corners and edges are nailed down I used duck bill vise grips(I'll post photo at the end of this message) to apply even pressure to both sides of the edges. I ain't gonna post 10 photos showing the edges stuck n' tucked. They all came out looking like this....

Then the o'l elephant eating one bite at a time thingee....

Until it all done....

You might of noticed in the last photo that the cooler lid wasn't installed - here's why. The radiused corners were not cut/notched. Just bunched up n' squished in there. The contact cement was struggling to hold all that wad of carpet in place so.... I put those clamps on it. I'll find out if it worked here in a little bit. If it didn't .... I got's me a plan... ALSO.... in this photo you can see the duck bill vise grips I used to press and tuck the carpet edges. It did make a difference in the over all appearance using that technique.

I got carpet fully installed on six doors(front deck) yesterday. The rear deck primary surface is glued down and just need the corners/edges finished which will happen today.

When I wrote of having to trim all the edges after cutting the pattern from the old carpet.... This is what I was talking about.... That's a 1 1/2" piece of 1/4" flat stock steel. I need 1 3/4" for the edge to fit right. Soooo... lay the 1 1/2" piece down spaced 1/4" from the edge. In some cases, like this example, I could use the razor knife to do the cutting. If it was less than what you see here I had to use the scissors to do the trimming.... The excess to the left of the flat stock is what gets trimmed...

Sooo... agenda for today.... final carpet install on the remaining doors. Fit/tuck/glue carpet edges around all front deck hatch openings. Install one piece of carpet on rear deck. And ARgggggggggg... complete console carpet install... Rather take a whuppin' but it's gotta be done.

14. Member
    Ground Hog Day 2019

Gluin' corners....

Notes n' points of this job....

This is what the bassboatseats carpet struggles with... fine line cutting w/razor - won't happen... Scissors.

You can attempt it with a razor but this is pretty much what you'll end up with if you do... Then you'll get the scissors!

And the #1 question - Does re-carpeting a boat make a mess? You be the judge.

15. Member
    All the lids are done... Got some more photos to post but before I do and before I forget I want to address the "why" of why I purchased the carpet from Bassboatseats....

If you are re-carpeting a 209(probably any of the other too) AND you want to go side-to-side in the console area without splicing you have to use 8'6" carpet. The Syntec was only available in 8' widths. I think I could of gotten the Syntec in 8.5' width but.... minimum 100' rolls. I got 25' and have more than enough to do all the trailer bunks. So... as Paul Harvey said "Now you know the rest of the story!"

One of the techniques I mentioned using involved the duck bill vise grips.... This is the "how" I used them...

This is the "why" I used them...

This is before...

This is the after....

Someone... no doubt... is saying "yeah... that all looks good but - What about the corners.... Welp.... here's some random ones. There's 40 of'em and I ain't posting 40 corner shots...

16. Member
    Soooo... I got arrested for murder. I requested a judge only trial. Judge ask me for reason. I said "Judge, I was carpeting the console area of a 209 Gambler and that guy came in and ask me what I was doing. And that's the last thing I remember...." Judge said "Case dismissed"

17. Member
    Well.... just got back from the emergency room. What'a ordeal that was!

When I post the pictures you'll understand...

I was under the drivers console layin' up contact cement getting ready for the next stage of carpet install. Ask anyone that has performed this task ya' just about gotta be a contortionist. Well I got the can of glue setting where I can reach it with the brush. But my head is all twisted up under the console such that the only way to get the brush loaded with glue to the place I need it to be is to bring the brush over my head. Well... wouldn't ya' know it... Just about the time the brush got over my eyes a big o'l glob of contact cement fell off the brush. It almost got in my eye - almost. It was on my forehead and in my eyebrows. In my haste to remedy the situation I rolled over trying to get out from under the console. I suppose, hindsight being what it is, that wasn't a good idea. My head came in contact with an area I had already spread contact cement. My head came in contact... cement... stuck. Wellllll chit... So I have my cell phone with me. Dial 911. Operator answers "This is 911 - what is your emergency?" I respond "Yes'um... My face is stuck down under the drivers console on my Gambler bass boat." Operator: "You are aware the penalty of law for reporting false emergencies - RIGHT! Me: "Yes'um I am. My face is still stuck to the floor of my Gambler - I need help!" Operator: "What's your address?" I provide the information. Operator: "EMS is in route. Is there anything else I can do for you?" Yes'um.... winning lottery numbers for tonights drawing?" DIAL TONE.

So I hear EMS arrive. I hear'em come in the shop. They're calling my name and I respond as best I can - all things considered. They approach the boat and look in the console area and see me with my face stuck to the floor. I really didn't think those EMS folks were supposed to laugh when they made emergency calls.... I'll give'em credit they didn't laugh all that long. Then one of them crawled in the boat and started tugging on my head.... "OUCH...." so he turns loose. After surveying the situation the EMS dude in the boat said "Well sir... we're gonna have to cut this carpet to get you out from under there. I went ballistic.... NO SIR!!! You ain't cutting this carpet. Cut my face if you need to but don't touch the carpet!!!! That got the EMS dude to back off just a tad... I could hear'em muttering to each other then the boat EMS dude ask me if I had a spray bottle and any acetone. HEY... I did. So.... told'em where everything was and it wasn't long they were spraying acetone on my face - hurt like hell! Didn't take long for the acetone to works its magic - I'ma free man. But EMS insist on carting me to the emergency room to have the acetone burns doctored up.... So we went to the emergency room lights n' siren blaring. They cart me in.... the tell the emergency room folks what had happened - Ok so everyone had another hearty ha... ha... ha... on me they put some salve and a bandage on me and told me I was free to go. HUH... you ain't carting me back to the shop. Luckily it wasn't but a 30 minute walk....
    Last edited by yupitsme; 07-14-2019 at 02:23 PM.

Lol, I'm sorry to laugh but that story reminded me of the American pie movies. I think it's the second one where he mistakenly uses superglue to master bate with and gets himself stuck on.....himself. Ems was also involved. Glad your ok and your work looks great!
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

19. Member
    I am glad I did not read this at work. I was laughing so hard, I was crying.

I can imagine the 911 operator has a good story to tell their family.

20. Member
    There have been several times, I thought I was stuck under the console of my GT183. I can’t imagine doing it with glue all around.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast