Concerning lower unit finds

OK guys so when i ordered the tracker valve from Don I ordered a new water pump rebuild kit. Let me go ahead and say I should have my butt kicked for this but yes. This is the first time the LU has been removed and water pump replaced. I honestly havent had any issues with it and just have let it be. Well on to what i found.

2015 Mercury 150 ProXs

Removed LU this morning in preps for new water pump rebuild kit and i found some really alarming stuff. Or at least stuff that looks out of place to me. Keep in mind this is straight from Mercury. This LU has NEVER been serviced (yeah i know like I said I should be ashamed)

First pic is the globs and globs of silicone around the impeller housing. Is this normal? I'm thinking it is not.

20190705_080513.jpg
    20190705_080517.jpg

Second pics is where is my boot that goes from the tube to the impeller housing? Is that it still attached to the tube?

20190705_080831.jpg
    20190705_081049.jpg

As stated before I have had 0 issues with water pressure. I have always kept an eye on it and I also have MercMonitor so I get a really good feedback on WP. Does this need to be corrected or is this the way it is?

So I am seeing silicone in some other pictures around Im assuming that is normal. This is the first time I have tried to accomplish this on a Mercury. lol. Looking around on other pics etc. that does look like the tube going from impeller housing to feed tube for motor. But man that thing is not budging. I don't want to damage the feed tube to engine but that boot wont budge.

3. Member
    some times they get in hurry with sealer on exhaust dam just clean it off and make a bead on that lil cross bar, take a pair needle nose pliers and grasp that black seal lightly and kinda twist it back and forth its just stuck, do nt bend copper tube, bcareful with install watch that shift line up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Thanks for the head up Joe. Gonna give her a lil twist.

Well got LU back together and all seems good. WP is around 1.6-1.8psi with the muffs on. She goes into gear just fine. One quick question. IDK if it has always done it and I haven't paid attention or if it is normal but i have water coming out of port below the pee hole. The exhaust port I think. Not alot of water kink of like a dribble. Is this normal?

Here is a video of the water.

7. Member
    normal roll on
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    You did good, if your from Opp Alabama, you can come do mine since your pretty good at it.

hey bud just lmk when. Just get with Don and get her ordered and we can knock it out.

10. Member
    Thanks for the offer, just joking!, you might bring one of those darn rattlesnakes up this way!

11. Member
    Have done the water pump on my 2.5L several times and happy to see your water tube remained in engine side boot. If, in the future, the tube comes out with lower unit (very well may), don't panic, just push it back in place. Definitely want to reseal the dam with hi-temp silicone, it protects your impeller and pump housing from exhaust heat.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax