Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    Couldn’t care less about your feelings, just saying that you are constantly complaining about Kistler rods it’s old and boring. I’ve landed plenty of big St Clair and Erie smallies and know for a fact that the Avid 8’ Med light moderate 2 pc rod, rated 4-8lb line, is a rod to choose if you chase 2 lbers. No serious Great Lakes smallie fisherman would use that rod unless they want to kill their catch. And based on your lack of command of the English language, it’s evident you’re the ignorant one.
    The lakes I fish SM are a rarity. Never have said it would make a great rod for that purpose. You are just putting that rod into a certain scenario to fit your narrative. I have a 7'6" Legend Elite M/F if more power is needed so whats your point. You just want to disparage a product I own to prop yourself up. I can most definitely say I would purchase another Avid ML/MOD at full price over the H3 at discounted price.

2. Member
    Thanks for the code. Got me thinking about trying one of the new zbones and went for it last night. The modified fast was a bit of concern but I went with the 7'10 Heavy flipping stick so even a true moderate action won't phase me in that rod.

I've got the 2017 zbone and HE3 in the 7'3h exfast and both are outstanding.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

3. Member
    I own quite a few z bones. Happy to talk to you on mod fast.
    Think of a fast rod with a slightly softer tip than most. Makes it great For both seeing the deflection in your rod tip Which can be very beneficial because sometimes you will literally see that rod tip start to deflect before you actually feel something on the bottom that you would like the stop and shake your bait on such as a small stick or a small rock where with a true fast or extra fast the tip doesn't really deflect and you've already pulled it off or over that obstacle instead of pausing at it to shake it.
    Another benefit is that fish stay buttoned better on the fight but have plenty of backbone still.
    Where are the BIG ones? When are we going?
    LOOKING for a Great deal on a Slightly used 20-21' Boat.

4. Member
    Alright, I got my new spinning Zbone mod-fast and put it to the test. Using it as a dropshot rod. I didn't catch any monsters. Only a couple that were close to 2# and a bunch of 1#.

It is very sensitive. It handled these fishes without issues. They were in cover though, pretty out in the open. I just let the fish do it's thing and reel it in.

I'm liking it very much. I did pick up an Addermine. Hopefully weather allows me to use both side by side to see how they perform.

5. Member
    The zbone 7'10 showed up. Overall very good but some mis-leading claims. Lets start with the positive. The rod has outstanding sensitivity. I have impression that it is as sensitive or more sensitive then the most sensitive rods I've fished. I will need to fish it and land more fish to determine- the only thing I can't conclude is if it is the most sensitive rod I've fished.. The rod action is outstanding. It is not moderate. I'd say it is just the best fast action bottom bouncing rod I've fished. It pitches even an underweight shakey head better then you could imagine. Impression is it is most like my NRX 894 but loads better pitching.

now not so good. Web site says 12 inch rear grip and 3.9oz. I purchased because these ergonomics sounded to good to be true. They were. 11 inch rear grip and roughly 5oz rod give or take. Means with a reel mounted, the rod balances about 3 inches in front of lock down nut. For a tip up rod, this is not great.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123