Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    Kistlers seem to be perpetually "on sale"
    I come from the land of the ice and snow.
    YouTube: PunchFishing

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Maybe why they are discounting them.

BTW, what is mod-fast? I just ordered one of those for dropshot rod....
    Moderate Fast...so a slightly slower taper than a Fast taper. Essentially more bend in the tip before it loads into the backbone of the rod.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    Because they aren't worth the inflated MSRP.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QUAKEnSHAKE View Post
    Some of us here like Kistler man. I honestly believe Loomis isn’t worth the price and would take a Kistler over Loomis in a heart beat. Everyone has an opinion but if you don’t like the product please stop commenting on a post that’s has a decent cause behind it.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by punch View Post
    They do.

I have a few Kistler rods. I have a Zbone that I absolutely love. It is super lightweight. Super sensitive.
    I tried a Kistler Mag 2 as a new dropshot rod and hated it. Dull feeling. Since it was the same price as my G Loomis GL3, I thought it was at least be comparable but it isn't.
    I picked up a new KLX twitch n crank or whatever it's called. Been using it a jerkbait rod and I'm really liking.
    Also picked up a couple of used Helium 3 for tubes and jigs. Havent used them yet.

And we'll see how this new spinning Zbone turns out.

I've only bought these rods on sale. Then again, I've only bought any rods when they were on sale.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    Moderate Fast...so a slightly slower taper than a Fast taper. Essentially more bend in the tip before it loads into the backbone of the rod.
    Good or bad for dropshot? Or doesn't really matter, all preference?

Right now, my dropshot rod is an old ass Loomis GL3 I think 842-2 . It's my old trout rod and it's been great for me but I know there's better.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ECobb91 View Post
    Some of us here like Kistler man. I honestly believe Loomis isn’t worth the price and would take a Kistler over Loomis in a heart beat. Everyone has an opinion but if you don’t like the product please stop commenting on a post that’s has a decent cause behind it.
    Cant sugarcoat everything in life. If a company sends out a deficient product a consumer should be told that as well. If they would have sent me an impeccable rod I would praise it just as well.
    So its ok for you to put down Loomis in a thread that has nothing to do with Loomis. You are doing what you are telling me not to do. Ive not mentioned any other brands kept it strickly to Kisler.

Still waiting on those $300 rods that are more worth it. I'd rather hear about those than the other useless comments you have to share :)

9. Member
    I use a MedLight Mod-Fast Zbone for drop shot and I like it a lot. Light weight but strong backbone. I also use it inshore for speckled trout and it does wonderfully there too. I wasn't sure about the ModFast tapers but have a few Zbone (casting & spinning) as well a Mag2 and it suits my style of fishing very well, however YMMV. For the record, I don't like Xfast tapers, but again, that's my fishing style.

Q&S- you don't like Kistler rods. I know that because you seem to find any thread that mentions Kistler and jump in to say how terrible your H3 is. I get it, you expected more for your money and the quality for this rod was subpar. But it's coming off as sour grapes since you continue to bring it up. Folks do have a right to share their experiences. We all want to hear the good and bad about equipment to help make decisions. That's what these online communities foster and it's pretty cool.

I like Kistler rods. A lot. I also like other manufacturer's equipment. But I try to temper my responses to ensure I am providing helpful context to a thread before just being a 'fanboy' poster.

Quote Originally Posted by BoatNoobie View Post
    Good or bad for dropshot? Or doesn't really matter, all preference?

Right now, my dropshot rod is an old ass Loomis GL3 I think 842-2 . It's my old trout rod and it's been great for me but I know there's better.
    I'm more of an fast or x-fast tip guy for dropshot, but its all personal preference at the end of the day. I am sure with the Z-bone it will still be plenty sensitive...just may have to set the hook a little harder.

11. Member
    I am looking for a Blade Bait (3/8-1/2 oz) and Spinnerbait rod (1/2- 3/4 oz.).
    Has anyone used the KLX Reel N Feel S2 Hybrid 6' 11" med/heavy 1/4-1 oz. for these or the 6' 8" model?
    Also the KLX Crank, Rip, Twitch, 6' 9" med/heavy, 1/4-7/8 oz.
    Or; any other recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I am looking for a Blade Bait (3/8-1/2 oz) and Spinnerbait rod (1/2- 3/4 oz.).
    Has anyone used the KLX Reel N Feel S2 Hybrid 6' 11" med/heavy 1/4-1 oz. for these or the 6' 8" model?
    Also the KLX Crank, Rip, Twitch, 6' 9" med/heavy, 1/4-7/8 oz.
    Or; any other recommendations?
    The MH feel n' reel rods are definitely not enough for heavy blade baits and spinnerbaits like that. I have two 7' 2" MH feel n' reel rods and use them for squarebills...they are killer crankbait rods. I used the Heavy feel n' reel as well thinking it was going to be a great chatterbait rod but the tip on those rods still was too slow to get a good hook set especially when stroking a chatterbait and not straight reeling it in. The crank, rip and twitch rods definitely have more backbone and a faster tip and could definitely do blade bait duty.

They make a KLX blades, buzz and chatterbait rod which should work great for anything up to a 1/2 oz. They are out of them now due to the sale, but if you email them I am sure they would have something in stock in a couple weeks. They also have an Argon version as well.

https://www.kistlerrods.com/store/kl...shing-rod.html

https://www.kistlerrods.com/store/kl...shing-rod.html

For the heavier spinnerbaits (3/4 oz) I think the crank, rip and twitch should be able to handle those well. They make them in 6' 9", 7' 0" and 7' 3". 7' is the sweet spot for me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleiron View Post
    I use a MedLight Mod-Fast Zbone for drop shot and I like it a lot. Light weight but strong backbone. I also use it inshore for speckled trout and it does wonderfully there too. I wasn't sure about the ModFast tapers but have a few Zbone (casting & spinning) as well a Mag2 and it suits my style of fishing very well, however YMMV. For the record, I don't like Xfast tapers, but again, that's my fishing style.

Q&S- you don't like Kistler rods. I know that because you seem to find any thread that mentions Kistler and jump in to say how terrible your H3 is. I get it, you expected more for your money and the quality for this rod was subpar. But it's coming off as sour grapes since you continue to bring it up. Folks do have a right to share their experiences. We all want to hear the good and bad about equipment to help make decisions. That's what these online communities foster and it's pretty cool.

I like Kistler rods. A lot. I also like other manufacturer's equipment. But I try to temper my responses to ensure I am providing helpful context to a thread before just being a 'fanboy' poster.
    You want to actually quote me from any post anywhere that I said its a terrible rod. YOU CANT You are just making a fake statement that I said its a terrible rod. I also believe this is the only thread on this site that I have commented on the rod. I bought the rod in April and posted maybe 6-7 times total on all sites I visit and a few of those were to give the weight and just to say I purchased one. So you are incorrect that Im in every thread about Kistler.

You guys really need to grow a pair if you get your feelings hurt and want to silence a person over saying a rod is just ok nothing special and not worth the MSRP.

For the record I didnt even pay full price I got it on sale $213

14. Member
    I’ve gone back and forth on fast vs. medium/mod fast action rods.

I’ve settled on the Zbone as my favorite model. The 3 and 5 power are my go to rods. It’s just me, but I lose fewer fish with mod fast Zbone.

The Feel N Reel works great on moving baits. The rod just loads up and the fish is buttoned up. The 7’2” is a great “Jackhammer” rod. I use the heavy for 3/4 ounce spinner baits and whopper ploppers.

The KLX is a great squarebill rod.

If you live live near Austin TX, I’d be happy to take you out to test different ones. I don’t know how many I own, but it’s pushing 100.

(I may part with the 4 power ZBones I have.) I need another 5 power.

You want to actually quote me from any post anywhere that I said its a terrible rod. YOU CANT You are just making a fake statement that I said its a terrible rod. I also believe this is the only thread on this site that I have commented on the rod. I bought the rod in April and posted maybe 6-7 times total on all sites I visit and a few of those were to give the weight and just to say I purchased one. So you are incorrect that Im in every thread about Kistler.

You guys really need to grow a pair if you get your feelings hurt and want to silence a person over saying a rod is just ok nothing special and not worth the MSRP.

I think it's the other way around. You got it at a discount...looks like way under retail...but your unhappy mostly because of the way it looked? If you want to bash a product at least give a legitimate reason why...not something like "it was blue, so I didn't like it".

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basseditor View Post
    I’ve gone back and forth on fast vs. medium/mod fast action rods.

I’ve settled on the Zbone as my favorite model. The 3 and 5 power are my go to rods. It’s just me, but I lose fewer fish with mod fast Zbone.

The Feel N Reel works great on moving baits. The rod just loads up and the fish is buttoned up. The 7’2” is a great “Jackhammer” rod. I use the heavy for 3/4 ounce spinner baits and whopper ploppers.

The KLX is a great squarebill rod.

If you live live near Austin TX, I’d be happy to take you out to test different ones. I don’t know how many I own, but it’s pushing 100.

(I may part with the 4 power ZBones I have.) I need another 5 power.
    Agree with the ModFast selection. Out of my 5 Zbones, 3 are ModFast, and two are Fast. I was hesitant on the ModFast as I have a Mag2 ModFast I use for jerkbaits and top water. Using a MedHeavy ModFast for my jigs and c-rigs has helped with keeping fish on. I was worried I'd miss bites, but these X-ray blanks transmit a lot. I probably sweep a bit more to get a good hookset, but not a crazy amount (I'm in a kayak).

I like the 2 and 4 power rods, but I don't fish around much if any cover.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fluke1987 View Post
    I think it's the other way around. You got it at a discount...looks like way under retail...but your unhappy mostly because of the way it looked? If you want to bash a product at least give a legitimate reason why...not something like "it was blue, so I didn't like it".
    Thats not a quote from me either never have mentioned anything about the color.

18. Member

Dude, give it a rest. OP does a solid and shares a discount code and you surface again bashing the company. I have read your negative Kistler comments on this and other websites. Like you have some vendetta. Maybe you need to grow up/a pair?

I'm not loyal to any rod company. I've owned/own and used/use GLX, Legend Extreme, Dobyns Extreme, Falcon Cara, Fenwick Techna AV, Phenix Boron, Lamiglas, 13, and custom builds over my 60 years. Anyone who judges an entire rod company based on a single rod purchase is a fool. Every rod company I mentioned, as well as others not mentioned, has "duds" as well as standouts within their lineup. Great rods that come to mind: Megabass EMTF, NRX 893, Dobyns DX742SF, Cara Amistad, and many others. The list of "duds" in my hands is even longer. But you won't see me bashing any company because of it. Unless their customer service was subpar.

BTW, aren't you the guy who raves about the Avid 80MLM spin rod? I have that rod and that rod it is useless for bass, unless you want to drift floats on a small stream (which is what I use it for). It's basically a miniature noodle rod, made for 4lb. test, which means if I used it on St. Clair, I'd kill every tank smallie due to unnecessarily fighting the fish on 4lb. line.

To the OP, thanks. I'm about to purchase myself a ZBone.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    Dude, give it a rest. OP does a solid and shares a discount code and you surface again bashing the company. I have read your negative Kistler comments on this and other websites. Like you have some vendetta. Maybe you need to grow up/a pair?

I'm not loyal to any rod company. I've owned/own and used/use GLX, Legend Extreme, Dobyns Extreme, Falcon Cara, Fenwick Techna AV, Phenix Boron, Lamiglas, 13, and custom builds over my 60 years. Anyone who judges an entire rod company based on a single rod purchase is a fool. Every rod company I mentioned, as well as others not mentioned, has "duds" as well as standouts within their lineup. Great rods that come to mind: Megabass EMTF, NRX 893, Dobyns DX742SF, Cara Amistad, and many others. The list of "duds" in my hands is even longer. But you won't see me bashing any company because of it. Unless their customer service was subpar.

BTW, aren't you the guy who raves about the Avid 80MLM spin rod? I have that rod and that rod it is useless for bass, unless you want to drift floats on a small stream (which is what I use it for). It's basically a miniature noodle rod, made for 4lb. test, which means if I used it on St. Clair, I'd kill every tank smallie due to unnecessarily fighting the fish on 4lb. line.

To the OP, thanks. I'm about to purchase myself a ZBone.
    Is that suppose to hurt my feelings that you dont like a particular product I like, doesnt bother me one bit.
    I cant help that you are ignorant to the specifications of your equipment. That avid rod is rated to 8# line and a quality 8# line will hold a knot past 10 pounds plenty for its ml power. I have caught a number of 5# fish with that rod if you cant thats on you.

20. Member
    Couldn’t care less about your feelings, just saying that you are constantly complaining about Kistler rods it’s old and boring. I’ve landed plenty of big St Clair and Erie smallies and know for a fact that the Avid 8’ Med light moderate 2 pc rod, rated 4-8lb line, is a rod to choose if you chase 2 lbers. No serious Great Lakes smallie fisherman would use that rod unless they want to kill their catch. And based on your lack of command of the English language, it’s evident you’re the ignorant one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast