Help with 361V Setup...

I am restoring a 1989 361V with the original 150 XR4. Just got the motor out of the shop and it is running great, but is a pig getting up on plane. Here is a little bit about my setup. I only had about 20 gallons of fuel in it, rear has a total of 3 batteries and the onboard charger. All of my tackle and other items of any weight are in the front lockers. The motor has a 6" manual jackplate that I have set to as close to 3.5" below pad as I can get. It has a Laser II 24P prop without any vent plugs in it. Today, with me, wife, and 17 yr old son sitting across the bench struggled to get it to plane out, I had my son move to the front deck and it planed out better. Even with just me and my wife, it takes several seconds to get it up on plane, hole shot is not very good at all. Even with motor trimmed all the way down, it acts like it wants to blow out. Due to restoring it, I do not have any electronics mounted, so I am trusting the 30 yr old gauges. According to the shop, the tachometer is accurate. I appear to only be getting about 5000-5100 RPM's and possibly 55 mph. I am concerned that when I actually fill the fuel tanks up, it is going to really struggle.

Any suggestions on setup?

2. Member
    What's your RPM at the breakover point?

I've got a 362V with a 150 Yamaha. Prop is a 23P Tempest Plus, with all the holes plugged. Hole shot with full tanks and 2 anglers is quite good. I bought the prop used, and it appears to have been worked twice, so IDK if it's true to spec. My top end is poor, but I've been chasing a fuel supply issue for a while... once I get that solved, back to tuning.

1990 Ranger 362V Yamaha Pro-V 150
    Old Town Predator MinnKota

Back in the day everyone I knew used to run the high 5 on their Merc powered Ranger's. I personally think a modern 4 blade would be better suited to any Ranger hull. I would say a 24 trophy plus or give Mark Croxton a call.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

First of all, you have chosen a great platform to restore and I'm sure you will smile when you get it there. I've had my 362 since 1990 and I remember going through the propacology set up phase with mine. There are many factors to consider finding the best prop and setup. First, remember your XR4 is 30 years old and even if it's running good, may have lost some of its original power, second is water temperature, my rig planes better and runs 3-4 mph faster in the cooler months than in summer bathtub water. Third is bow lift. You have to run a prop that will get the nose up on a 3 series Ranger, if not, you're losing performance. I tested many props on my Yamaha including Merc Tempest, Trophy and Laser. The Tempest was the best all around for my rig, Trophy has best midrange and lift and the Laser was just OK. I stayed with the 3 blade Yamaha "M" series. Primary- 25M, backup-23M. Good luck.

I ran a 1991 361 for years. Best prop ever was a high 5 22p. I had a carbed merc 175. Cool months 72-73 mph by myself. 2 people and full load hot temps 66-67mph. Hole shot was fantastic. I think I still have that prop if you are interested.
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

6. Member
    I might be interested, I just need to do a little research and make sure it’s going to be the the right one. I think my prop to pad is off a little. Holeshot is terrible, putting someone on front deck helps. Ran it yesterday and 2 men, typical fishing load, top speed was 52 mph at 5200 rpms, water pressure is good, but prop wants to blow out trimmed all the way down at take off and sometimes wants to blow out planed out with engine trimmed at or below level.....

The jack plate is as low as I can get it and it still shy of 3.5”, I will verify that today....

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

7. Member
    When I bought mine it had a 23p laser 2. I switched to a 23p tempest plus and the boat came to life. Your rpms should be 5600 to 5800 at full throttle.

2018 Ranger z520L
    2020 250 Pro XS
    2B694324

I don’t remember any measurements on my 361 setup. No help I know. If you think my high 5 would work let me know. I’d be happy to let you return it if didn’t perform as needed. Good luck
    There’s no use being stupid if you’re not willing to show it off.

9. Member
    high 2, I appreciate it. I will let you know. I am waiting on a return phone call from Mark Croxton to see what he recommends, then I will go from there...

I ran a 94 361V with a 150XRi (2.5L) spinning a 25P Tempest. I got very good holeshot and my top speed was a solid 65MPH on GPS, even hit 67 a couple of times. That XR4 is a 2.4L motor and it's probably getting tired. Mine was a rebuilt unit when I bought her in 2005. I broke it in exactly as the dealer said and it ran flawlessly for the 13 years that I had her. If you're doing a project boat you might consider seeing about getting a refresh on the motor as well.

Steel City Bassmasters - Granite City, Illinois

I had a 363 with a 175hp Merc rebuilt by P&B. 10" JP. Started with a 25p Tempest. Croxton repitched to 24p. Tried a 23p Tempest and it was a different boat. Lift and hole shot was greatly improved. 65mph gps with two guys, 70mph alone light load. Your numbers show that 24p is too much prop. Many, many 360 series boats came with a High5. High 2's 22p would be worth a try. Otherwise, a Tempest+ 23p is a good try.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi