Rod That ca Handle 3/4 oz. Spinnerbaits

I cast mostly 1/2 oz. spinnerbaits mostly I haven't found a good rod for 3/4 oz. Looking for a rod in the 6' 8" to 6' 10" that will handle both 1/2 oz. and 3/4 oz. spinnerbaits in the $200 dollar range or less. Trying to catch the sales. Would settle on a 7 foot if it fit the bill. I had thought about the AlX Dock Skipper also till I read the other post. I see a lot of M/H or heavy rods that look like they would fit the bill; but I wonder if the tip would be to light on them also. Dobyns Sierra 6' 8" Heavy, Falcon has a 6" 10" heavy, Kistler Feel and Reel 6" 11" heavy, etc....

2. Scraps
    The Falcon frog rod. I know Christie uses their 6-10 frog rod for big spinnerbaits.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    The Falcon frog rod. I know Christie uses their 6-10 frog rod for big spinnerbaits.
    I had seen the Cara T7 6' 11" Frog rod. I was wondering if the long handle, ( 14 1/2" ) would get in the way of roll casting?

Check out the Hammer Rods 6'9" Heavy. It's a very versatile rod and 1/2 to 3/4 oz spinner baits are well within what this rod does well. Its well under that $200 mark and a really nice rod.

5. Member
    I posted the dock skipper thread. I’m still undecided.

Shimano has 6’10” MH Fast in The Zodias rated up to 1 ounce.

May try that. I’ve also had some Hammer rods in the past. Loved them but picked up two MB XX when they were in close out

6. Member
    You might also look at this rod. Good choice if you want a shorter length.

https://www.alphaangler.com/products/powerskipping

They also have the 7'3" MH Zilla that I use for 1/2 and 3/4oz spinnerbaits.

I've been throwing 3/4 and 1 oz spinnerbaits on an ALX Promise 73 for about a year now and this is hands down the best big spinnerbait rod I've ever had in my hands. It has muscle to spare for throwing a heavy bait, but still maintains plenty of "bend on the end" to accurately place a bait on targets. I've really gotten into throwing the heavier spinnerbaits the past couple years and I tried everything from Xheavy action 7 footers up to standard 7'6" flipp'n rods and the Promise 73 is as close to perfect as I've found. It's a great deal at roughly $150 MSRP.

8. Member
    well - take the JM Carbonlite spinnerbait rod off of your list.

I snapped one clean in half on a cast a couple of weeks ago. 1/2oz spinnerbait w/ big trailer. That one is on me- not the rod,... but don’t think it will handle over the spec amount!!!��
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

9. Member
    Dobyns 734 or 764

10. Member
    Earlier this year, I was looking for a Spinnerbait rod specifically that would allow me to launch one especially around windy points. I mostly throw 1/2 oz baits, but sometimes up that to 3/4. When I'm fishing tight to cover, I'll use a 6'6-6'8 rod. I stumbled onto the IRod Genesis II 7'2" Stone Cold Swim/Vibrating model. Fantastic rod that can handle all my spinnerbaits. Moderately priced. Fantastic rod. Highly recommend. I use it for every situation now.

2017 Phoenix 618Pro

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoZero View Post
    well - take the JM Carbonlite spinnerbait rod off of your list.

I snapped one clean in half on a cast a couple of weeks ago. 1/2oz spinnerbait w/ big trailer. That one is on me- not the rod,... but don’t think it will handle over the spec amount!!!��
    Personally, I've had more of the high end rods snap. More sensitive rods, I've read are more prone to breaking.(Gotta be thin to be sensitive.) That's why I stay in the mid-range pricing now.
    2017 Phoenix 618Pro

12. Banned
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I cast mostly 1/2 oz. spinnerbaits mostly I haven't found a good rod for 3/4 oz. Looking for a rod in the 6' 8" to 6' 10" that will handle both 1/2 oz. and 3/4 oz. spinnerbaits in the $200 dollar range or less. Trying to catch the sales. Would settle on a 7 foot if it fit the bill. I had thought about the AlX Dock Skipper also till I read the other post. I see a lot of M/H or heavy rods that look like they would fit the bill; but I wonder if the tip would be to light on them also. Dobyns Sierra 6' 8" Heavy, Falcon has a 6" 10" heavy, Kistler Feel and Reel 6" 11" heavy, etc....
    3/4 oz - ALX Rods IKOS Hammer 7 is best match we have for that.