Ute Lake New Mexico

It looks like I'll be fishing Ute either Tuesday or Wednesday of next week, so I'll provide a fishing report once I get back to Tucson. From what I've heard, the fishing in the four NE New Mexico lakes has been excellent. I hope that proves to be the case next week.......
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

2. Member
    Wishing you good results. Looking forward to your report

3. Member
    Was out east today fishing and watching people keeping undersized fish is absolutely disturbing, really wish our Game Department cared about our warm water fisheries. What a shame!

4. Member
    That's the same down south at EB. They seem to care more about game hunting, although they stocked 50,000 very small large mouth bass last week. Boaters took bags of fish out to place them around the lake in cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by FowlZurk View Post
    Was out east today fishing and watching people keeping undersized fish is absolutely disturbing, really wish our Game Department cared about our warm water fisheries. What a shame!

Jeff and I are hitting Santa Rosa the following week for a few days. Fingers crossed that it is still cranking them out, and we can find them!!

6. Member
    Well the fishing was pretty good. We fished from 530am-11am and caught 9 total with 5 being largemouth and 4 smallies. We also had a couple of perch and large bluegill thrown in for good measure. We fished primarily the coves before horseshoe bend on the North side and the fish were focused on the rocks, more than tree structure. Water clarity at the mouth of the coves was 2-3 feet and in the back of the coves about a foot at best. Most of the fish we caught were on the first or second points on a cove and not many bites in the backs of the coves.

We fished primarily shallow/shore and used flukes, crankbaits and spinnerbaits. We didn't fish any water offshore, so I'm not sure how the bite was in deeper water. The heat got to us, so we bailed out before moving toward horseshoe bend to fish jigs and rigs.

I was hoping to pick up a rogue walleye, but didn't get any hits from those guys.....

First bass around 545am on about the 5th cast with a baby bass fluke

My biggest smallie
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

7. Member
    Thanks for the update. Getting away and catching fish on another pond is always great!

Good job. I really like that lake but man it's got my number!