Gas regurgitation?

Do any of you guys have an issue when your filling up at a gas station having the gas gush out of the fill hole when the tank hits full? Mines a 2018 205. Is it venting properly? Is it fixable? The first time it happened, it covered me in gas. Second time I was trying to be careful and still got sprayed. Now I wrap a rag around fill nozzle to reduce the splash. Am I the only one?
    Last edited by fuelleak; 07-04-2019 at 08:42 AM.

2. Member
    When it is full it is full. If I am at a quiet gas station I can hear it when it gets close but if it is noisey or has the ads blaring it burps.

3. Banned
    Yea, the new style gas plumbing on boats has changed over the years. They have done away with the vent that spits gas out when full. When my boat spits out gasoline, it's still probably 3 gallons short of being really full.

It's enough to make you order new plumbing and take the fuel system back to the days of old.

4. Member
    Yes happens to me also, I flip the switch on the ignition to get gauges active and use that to see when full.

5. Banned
    get the nozzle in as far as possible and fill it as slow as possible. First notch on the nozzle. Some people have better luck turning the nozzle upside down. Puts the sensing port of the nozzle on the top where the air is being purged.

6. Member
    Thanks guys for the advise. Was hoping there was a venting issue or something that was fixable.

7. Member
    If the gas is moving in the tank... full length sloshing, if you will. Once it starts that last trip away from the fill end, the die has been cast. It will rebound off of the other side of the tank and come back - it's that rebound force that causes the massive spurt of gas out of the vent hole. I try to always have my boat leaning downhill away from the fuel fill side of the tank - in hopes that the air bubble is at the fill port when the wave comes back - so just air and fumes vents out. That has made a huge difference.
    Last edited by NoZero; 07-08-2019 at 04:04 PM.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

8. Member
    No Zero, thanks for the advice. Headed to the gas station now to fill her up. I dont think there is a way to get the boat to lean away from the fill cap? How in the world do you do that? Just going to watch the gauge and fill real slow and wrap my rag around the nozzle to form a gas barrier. From your explanation of "massive spurt" it seems that you have been drenched in gas too!!

9. Member
    I wonder if your usename has to take any of the blame for this problem. My license plate is Noluk so whenever something bad happens to me all the guys just point to the plate.

10. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    No Zero, thanks for the advice. Headed to the gas station now to fill her up. I dont think there is a way to get the boat to lean away from the fill cap? How in the world do you do that?...
    Carry about a 3' piece of 2x4 with you to pull the tires up on.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Luckily I can open the back hatch and see my tank. I would hate to be spilling gas all over myself and the boat. I just listen carefully and watch the tank as it fills.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littleluk View Post
    I wonder if your usename has to take any of the blame for this problem. My license plate is Noluk so whenever something bad happens to me all the guys just point to the plate.
    The Fuelleak name came from a time I was selling a Legend Alpha with a 250 Opti. Had stored it with this stuff called PRI-G in the fuel for the winter. Guy called from somewhere down south in the early spring and wanted to come up and possibly buy the boat. I pulled it out of a heated barn when he got there, hooked up the hose, started it and every O-ring in the fuel assembly had been eaten out by that PRI-G and that baby was spraying and leaking fuel like you couldn't believe. needless to say he ran back south without the boat. Found BBC a few days later to try to figure the problem out and used that name when I registered. Filled my boat a few hrs. ago and filled it real slow and she only burped a small amount out which I caught with a rag wrapped around the fuel nozzle. First fill I was covered from chest to toes when it projectiled vomited gas on me.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    Do any of you guys have an issue when your filling up at a gas station having the gas gush out of the fill hole when the tank hits full? Mines a 2018 205. Is it venting properly? Is it fixable? The first time it happened, it covered me in gas. Second time I was trying to be careful and still got sprayed. Now I wrap a rag around fill nozzle to reduce the splash. Am I the only one?
    I battled that for years on my 2000 TV-18, till I read about the 'In Line Valve' that West Marine sold me. Took a few minutes to install and no issues since. Goes into the gas line and prevents the "back-flush."

14. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    I battled that for years on my 2000 TV-18, till I read about the 'In Line Valve' that West Marine sold me. Took a few minutes to install and no issues since. Goes into the gas line and prevents the "back-flush."
    Got a part# or better description?

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmb View Post
    What? There is such a thing? Awesome.