Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Leaving Saturday for Long Lake Alpena!!

Cant wait. got house on the lake. taking family so wont be fishing all day. but will be doing some everyday. Prob will stay on Long lake mainly. Hows the fishing up that way right now?

Anyone from Alpena any restaurants we need to hit? Def gonna check out brewery i found. looks good.

Directions has me going up 23 from Toledo.Merging with I75 then getting off 33. sound right? anything to watch out for besides Flint?

Thanks!!! Pumped for week of fishing and cocktails by the fire. Water might be too cool for me to swim but my youngins wont care.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

2. Member
    Even worth trying for LMB in Long?
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

3. Member
    My advice is don't wear any buckeye gear...
    Wave Therapy

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by detroit1 View Post
    My advice is don't wear any buckeye gear...
    oh im wearing it. and browns.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

5. Member
    buddy from MI said dont use 23 and stay on I75. said 23 gets packed? what you guys think?
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

6. Member
    Pompeyos Mexican Grill is pretty good, and you can't beat the location right on Thunder Bay. You can eat on the covered porch while you eat, wishing you were out there fishing. There's a park with a beach right there, so pick the hottest day of the week to head there with the family for the afternoon.

7. Member
    Browns gear ok.
    Wave Therapy

8. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    23 isn't any different than 75 as far as traffic volume goes. I will tell you the lake isn't what it used to be. The added pressure that MLF brought was not a good thing for the lake.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

Yep...

Marks Props 317-398-9294, 1850 East 225 South, Shelbyville, Indiana 46176 propellerman59@gmail.com http://www.marksprops.com/index.html

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerTim619 View Post
    23 isn't any different than 75 as far as traffic volume goes. I will tell you the lake isn't what it used to be. The added pressure that MLF brought was not a good thing for the lake.

Prob still better than Ohio!!! Lol. I feel that’s true about everywhere with the internet now. No secret lakes. I’m sure there are small ones here and there that don’t get pressure.

I chose long cause they said grand had fish kill and Hubbard has bigger but less numbers.
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

11. Member
    It's hard to go wrong with which lake up there. Even the worst lake in northern Michigan is better than the best lake in Ohio. I like Hubbard more than the others in that area.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DubyaDee View Post
    It's hard to go wrong with which lake up there. Even the worst lake in northern Michigan is better than the best lake in Ohio. I like Hubbard more than the others in that area.
    yea Ohio can be bad except for Lake Erie. I may check out Hubbard one day. Lots lakes too choose from in area
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

13. Member
    Let us know how you do. I watched that episode and viewed Airbnb offerings, like to pull trigger myself on a trip like that.

14. Member
    Beautiful area up here. Our house and dock face the sunset! Not busy area. Perfect!

fished today we Did ok. No big ones. Lost two biggest. Really gotta watch where you are running on the lake.

Didn’t fish as as much as I wanted too had kid obligations
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

Any day fishing is a good day. Just learn a little more of the lake each time your out there.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfisher42 View Post
    Prob still better than Ohio!!! Lol. I feel that’s true about everywhere with the internet now. No secret lakes. I’m sure there are small ones here and there that don’t get pressure.

I chose long cause they said grand had fish kill and Hubbard has bigger but less numbers.
    I have had no problems catching Smallmouth, Perch and Walleye on Grand....I think that the fish die off is all a rumor started by locals to keep everyone away..lol.
    .I've said it before that I really dont know where that is coming from other than online forums.
    I also havent seen any drops in numbers on Long..I cant get as many over 4-5 during the summer but they are there in the spring....The pressure on Long has definetly increased but I have seen that all over up north...I was on Charlevoix and Walloon in the spring and the number of Bass boats has increased significantly....Its Social media and people going where the fishing is good as much as MLF..
    I'm headed to the inlaws on Long the first week of August and I'll definetly be on both lakes...They can be tough in Mid Summer so I'll be off shore..
    Maybe people are confusing it with this fish kill on Grand Lake in Minnesota...https://www.duluthnewstribune.com/sp...ke-over-winter
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 07-08-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

17. Member
    I think it is 32 that you get off of and not 33. I myself prefer the drive up 23 as it is more scenic.

I go to Alpena every year for military training and I get ple type opportunities to fish. I hate MLF for ruining that place for me. It is still great but it used to be that no one fished for bass there.

Definitely go to Austin Brothers Brewery. Their Woody Wheat beer is a favorite and their food is great too. Also, go to John Boys restaurant for breakfast. It is a mom and pop, greasy spoon type place and it is great. Get the cinnamon roll as it is huge! Hubbard lke used to have a good BBQ joint but it burned down last year.
    -2016 Phoenix 721 250 Pro XS
    -Old Rig-2006 Triton TR-196 200HP Optimax

18. Member
    I have found nice enough spots think I have added 7-8 waypoints. Some nice off shore rock piles. Side scan looked like mars!! Today was bad cause no wind at all. Saw all kinds of them they were real skittish. I might go hit winyah for some Lmb action.
    So so far only place out we hit was jjs steak n pizza. Was very good. Plan on hitting brewery before we leave for sure
    Phoenix 618
    Evinrude ETEC 150
    Go Buckeyes
    Go Browns

19. Member
    The hideaway is a decent pub fair right there close to the lake. The Sandbar is another local spot for grub.

20. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    I will 2nd the hideaway. We have never had a bad meal ,and really like the pizza
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast