3M / Tennessee River

This is a couple weeks old but I just saw it. At some point a group of people sitting around a conference room table thought this was a good idea to just dump this stuff into the river.

https://www.waff.com/2019/06/20/poll...mical-release/

2. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Wow. This is why the EPA is such a valuable agency and why we as fishermen should be concerned

Dale Sinclair original

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by local16 View Post
    Wow. This is why the EPA is such a valuable agency and why we as fishermen should be concerned
    Yes sir 100% correct. Lots of people want to discredit the EPA and all the work they do based on politics and global warming. But the second their waterways start getting contaminated with chemicals they get all up in arms and wonder how it happened.

4. Banned
    We used to have a major industrial factory that had agreed to control their pollution in the air. We could see the sunsets improving on weekends. Come to find out that the factory shut off their pollution equipment on weekends because they knew the EPA and the government didn't work then.

5. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    3M self reported,,, wonder who inspects for stuff like that??

Or maybe someone was and 3M knew they were coming,,

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

6. Member
    Oh I am all for the EPA being there to enforce the clean water and air act. It is when they go off on the man made global warming deal and try to put regulations in place that had not been voted on by congress.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lakefolk View Post
    3M self reported,,, wonder who inspects for stuff like that??

Or maybe someone was and 3M knew they were coming,,
    Sounds like they are getting ahead of the ball. Probably make out like bandits after all is said and done

8. Banned
    I'll argue just the opposite... It's an over bloated bureaucracy that can't catch a cheater right under it's nose... See if the EPA releases how many times it has visited the 3M plant without a citation... Dan

9. Member
    Fish Decatur a lot in the 70s and 80s, never eat the fish’s. You could see the run off and water was 10 degrees in warmer in winter. Champion paper just down river EPA didn’t fix that either.

10. Member
    Historically you are correct they are just like most other agencies ineffective and bloated.
    Currently though they a caricature of their former selves. I think they rely on setting regulations and a self reporting. It’s up to the other federal agencies to catch the liars and cheats.
    Either way this type of stuff makes it seem like they are partners rather than oversight.

https://news.3m.com/stories/3m-respo...as-action-plan

11. Member
    old news

12. Member
    Holy crap....since 2007 they've been releasing this stuff into the river. Yeah....way to go EPA for staying on top of things.

13. Member
    I bet the EPA fines little guys/private land owners more than corporations..Can’t prove it, but I wouldn’t doubt it. Sad the way things work.
    Praying for a Cure

Here in Indiana, monitoring this sort of thing has nothing to do with the EPA. It is the state that is supposed to manage and monitor this sort of stuff. The EPA just write the regs, the state acts on/enforces them. The EPA typically does not get involved until after the fact - after the state finds/reports a problem. Unless Alabama is completely different from most other states, ADEM dropped the ball here, not the EPA.
    I would also place bets that, just like the Lead contamination situation here in East Chicago and the Grand Cal River here by me; it was a few payoffs and back room deals that allowed this to happen.