XR4 Lower unit swap?

1988 150 XR4 - OB264398 - At the moment I have the smaller 1.78 gearcase and I believe my lower unit is having some gear issues. I'm thinking of replacing it with the bigger 4 3/4" case as this is the second time with this problem. A few question I have and appreciate any info, thanks in advance.

What gear ratio should I use (1.87 or 2.0)?
    I'm running a 24"P (4 blade) prop now, can I use this prop with the smaller diameter or do I need to go bigger diameter?
    If I need a new prop, any ideas on what size, to start at? (3 or 4 blade)

Again, thanks for the help. Engine on a Ranger 374V with a 5" manual plate.

Have a great Independence Day!

Paul

2. Member
    Hello Paul,
    I run and 89 XR4 with a 4 blade trophy on a 18ft Astro with a 5" setback and I get 5700 RPM Med load. A 24 four blade sounds way to high for that application... What is your RPM top end and hole shot

robinr011

Right now, I'm getting 5600 RPM. The setup now is great and she runs well but I do believe the prop may have been worked over by H&H propeller. My problem are my gears in the lower unit are binding and I'm thinking of going to the bigger lower unit. I've had enough of this small one.

5. Member
    1;87 ratio , try your 24 first, lets see how it does, boats gonna act completely diff with large gearcase all for the better, done many and they work great
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Thanks Joe...... Going shopping for a 1:87...

Just wanted to update, Joe. Replaced lower with a new SEI and now found out my hub is spun on my prop. Out looking for a prop to try and go from there.

8. Member
    I had the successor (XR6) with the 1.78. It came with a 24p prop and ran just fine. If you go to the 1.87 you will probably want a 25p prop instead since it will be spinning a bit slower at the same engine RPM.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrodbender View Post
    Just wanted to update, Joe. Replaced lower with a new SEI and now found out my hub is spun on my prop. Out looking for a prop to try and go from there.
    Hope it works out for you. See a lot of problems with the aftermarket gearcases, break-in is "tedious" at best, and if ever used in a tournament: No warranty.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor