Thread: Hydraulic fluid

Hydraulic fluid

What other ISO 32 biodegradable fluid is available locally instead of the $20+ a quart green stuff? Getting to be as bad as Seastar. Also, does anyone have a schematic, diagram, pics of 2 poles on one cutoff switch?
    Thanks

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    2 poles to 1 cuttoff switch is simple... both negatives from pumps run to negative of cranking battery, both positives run to stud of battery cutoff, a 6 guage battery wire runs from other leg of cutoff to positive terminal of battery. As far as the fluid any ISO 32 fluid can be used however we suggest the Green Marine. As with the seastar fluid you dont need it often and only 2 quarts for a fluid change on duel pumps so 40 annually or bi annually isnt really that bad in the scheme of what we spend on out boats and fishing equipment.

Thanks Kevin

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    very welcome!

5. Member
    I run all of my accessory electronics including two power poles to a fuse box that receives power that is interrupted by a single on/off switch.

I currently run 2 switches, didn't know if I could just double up on one switch. I can get valvoline ISO 32, mineral hydraulic fluid locally for $18 a gal. Don't know if that's biodegradable or not. But that would work ok, right.

7. mikesxpress

Only one I could find at Tractor Supply was 30w. So you're saying 20w non-detergent motor oil can be used safely in the power pole pumps. Always thought it had to be 10w ( like mineral oil). Some say you can use plain old mineral oil, but that's not true. Some say the mineral oil you buy over the counter ( say for instance Walley World) will work, but it won't. It's 3 times thicker than the mineral oil you can use in the pumps. That will make you power poles sluggish. I don't mind using an alternative. All for saving money. I was only using SeaStar as an example on how these companies try to make a living off of one person. I understand the profit/loss deal but they seem to have gone overboard ( excuse the pun) in their products. And $30-40 bucks a year is not much if that was the only thing I had to pay a year. Do an oil change on a SHO, Impeller ( complete water pump), spark plugs, etc each year. Seeing as how that motor cost $20,000, I guess that annual maintenance is nothing also. Then, God forbid, you hope nothing breaks ( electronics, motor (both), boat, trailer, etc. I guess if I had deep pockets like some on here, that is trivial. Unfortunately I have to work for a living.

9. Member
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

Thanks guys. I thinking about using this: Valvoline R&O ( rust & oxidation preventative) ISO 32 Mineral hydraulic oil. I can get this locally for $22.32 ( that's including tax ) from Grainger. This is the 1 gallon jug so that breaks down to $5.58 a quart.