Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Angry Working with family

Working with family sucks. I have a small business I’ve run for 29 years. I’ve always been hands on to ensure that my customers got the service they paid for.
    I hired our new son in law two years ago bc his boss was an a-hole and he really wanted to work outside and learn my trade.
    He has lost me several accounts by not doing the service regularly enough, he gets me complaints each week bc he can’t remember to pull weeds or pick up sticks.
    Now the best part. He has put in notice he is taking a new job in two weeks. He is taking his family vacation next week and then quitting.
    We had plans, ie. plane tickets B and B reservations and rental car to go to Colorado at the end of the month for my cousin’s wedding. Will he stay through to run the crew ??? No. Does he appreciate the company truck I let him drive for a year and a half while he “fixed” his truck. I’m beyond pissed but have to keep my cool and bite my tongue so as per my wife’s instructions.
    Sorry. Rant over family sucks
    You can lead a horticulture,
    but you can't make her think.

2. Member
    That sucks! Most people don't realize the risk involved when helping family.

Benny Rigney

3. Member
    Look at it this way. In short order he will no longer be YOUR problem!!

Never hire family. It is less hard to not hire them than it is to fire them. Think of it this way, the sooner he goes, the better your business will be if he is losing you accounts. Plus he is leaving on his own terms so that makes it easier on you and doesn't make you look like the bad guy. Really it is a win win for you. Just got to get over this small speed bump and then will be smooth sailing.

5. Banned
    That sucks. But it does sound like he might of done you a favor by quitting, now you don't have to worry about firing his a%$ and all the B.S. that would come with that.

6. Member
    Hiring family is not good. I had to fire my sister.
    Ranger 520vx Yamaha 225 ox66.

7. Banned
    Reminds me of what Jed said about Jetho..."That boy's got a whole lot of quit in 'em"

8. Member
    Better to stay totally away from family.

9. BBC SPONSOR
    I believe you said "son-in-law". That would mean he is married to your daughter. That is the one that I feel sorry for. Lets hope he grows up soon and realizes good things are not handed out for free like candy.

10. Member
    Look at it as a positive, he will be gone, you get fewer customer complaints, you get company truck back, and you never hire him again.
    Praying for a Cure

11. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    this shouldn't be a rant,, it should be a

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

12. Member
    That does suck. Sorry to hear that. Having to hold you tongue just makes it worse. Hope you can settle on someone to watch over things and keep your trip plans.

13. Member
    So you don't like his work, but you are mad that he is leaving and not showing loyalty?

14. Member
    Always a tough decision on hiring family members. At least you're rid of the problem now.
    2017 Z521C with Evinrude G2 250 HO
    2020 RT198 with Merc 150 Pro XS

15. Banned
    worked with family for 20 years now. most days are "okay". some really suck.

16. Member
    Do not hire him when he comes back looking for a job.... because he will.

17. Banned
    Thank your lucky stars he is leaving this early in the game. Take the high road, wish him luck and act like it doesnt bother you.

18. Member
    My Granddad gave me two rules of life that should never be broken: 1) Never go in/do business with family, 2) Don't screw any woman you work with
    2023 Triton 18TRX
    2023 Mercury 200 Pro XS
    80# Ultrex IPilot Link
    Helix 12 Mega SI & Garmin Livescope w/ 1242XSV GPSmap

19. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big dreams View Post
    Never hire family. It is less hard to not hire them than it is to fire them. Think of it this way, the sooner he goes, the better your business will be if he is losing you accounts. Plus he is leaving on his own terms so that makes it easier on you and doesn't make you look like the bad guy. Really it is a win win for you. Just got to get over this small speed bump and then will be smooth sailing.
    Exactly!
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

Quote Originally Posted by G4bama View Post
    My Granddad gave me two rules of life that should never be broken: 1) Never go in/do business with family, 2) Don't screw any woman you work with
    Brilliant!!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast