2019 ZX 225 Water in the compartments

Hello all,
    has anyone had issues with getting water in the front center compartments when it rains? The two front starboard ones get wet also. How did you remedy it?

I have a good friend that has 2018 zx250 and his compartments have leaked bad since the day he bought it. He tried putting silicone on the screws holding down the aluminum deck but didn’t work. It seems like ya hear about this happening fairly often on the ZX series.

3. Member
    Bubble seal the aluminum openings and tighten the large plastic nut on the locks.

4. Member
    I have a 2016 ZX 250 the compartments don’t leak from the rain. They do condensate to the point that I pretty much keep the boat compartments empty when not in use. What Skeeter needs to fix is the paint they put on the aluminum deck grid. It bubbles up then falls off. Here is a quick list of issues I have had. I bought my ZX 250 new in JAN 17. The EZ Loader trailer coating is falling off and instantly rust. EZ loader says it’s under warrantee just bring it in. 1700 mile round trip! The 250 SHO made oil until I drove the crap out of it and when my T1 prop was replaced with the T2 the thrust washer disintegrated and the prop ate up the lower unit casing. Fully covered by Yamaha. The new T2 thrust washer is completely different. Rub rail screws back out in different places but I have had skeeters before so I knew to look for that. The paint on the deck grid is complete trash that sounds bad but the deck grid is very nice to have they just need to figure out how to Blue it like a gun barrel. My batteries that town marine rigged the boat with were all dead by the end of the first year. Don’t use Exide batteries they are definitely not top of the line. I also had the fuel fill valve stuck so when I first used the boat it would not vent. I figured that out and fixed it. That’s on another thread. That said the only thing about this boat package I do not like is the damn trailer and I know Skeeter makes their own now. I am considering trading it in just because of the trailer. I feel like most of this stuff other than the trailer is what you have to put up with on any boat.

5. Member
    Do a search, someone else had this issue
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

6. Member
    2018 225, leaked since day 1, dealer has no fix, guess it needs to go to factory.. annoying to say the least

7. Member
    Brandon Palaniuk did a you tube video on the issue and how it was fixed.

To mark L. I feel your pain, I won’t go there anymore. Boat has had its share of minor issues which they took care of but were not happy about it. Good buying experience, awful customer service

8. Member
    Thanks for all your comments guys. I have used silicone on every screw and hinge on the front deck. I ordered the weather stripping for the compartment lips. I also took off the front starboard cleat and used silicone under that. The port rod box stays dry. I plugged the front post hole for the pro-pole also. Give an update after I do the weather stripping. Most likely next week.

9. Member
    My 2018 225 has leaked since day one, and every time I come off the water the bilge area is filled with chunks of loose spray foam. Definitely some quality control issues with this boat. Also my prop cracked in the middle of one of the ears for no apparent reason, but Yamaha is sending me a new one.

10. Member
    paint coming off trailer , I had same problem from 1st year owning my ez loader took pictures my dealer did and month later ez loader gave me a brand new trailer . go after it if still under warrenty

On my 2010 ZX200 the aluminum grid is anodized! None of my compartments leak. Skeeter must have changed a few things on the newer models.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

12. Member

Leak found

Quote Originally Posted by mrbull View Post
    Thanks for all your comments guys. I have used silicone on every screw and hinge on the front deck. I ordered the weather stripping for the compartment lips. I also took off the front starboard cleat and used silicone under that. The port rod box stays dry. I plugged the front post hole for the pro-pole also. Give an update after I do the weather stripping. Most likely next week.
    It is coming from the location where the black grid and the deck come together in the front medial corners of both rod boxes. It is the curved section and it appears to have a sealant that is missing in that location. I sealed it myself from the bottom with silicone and will test it again in a day or two.