1999 Mercury 175 EFI flooding?

Recently I’ve had some issues with my 1999 Mercury 175 EFI not starting reliably...I’m wondering if it’s when I cycle the key all the way off when it doesn’t fire off the first time, then go through the beep sequence before cranking over again. Is this possibly causing my issue? Should I try cranking again without turning key all the way off?

I end up having to use the fast idle lever to get it started, and when it does finally start I have to leave it in high idle for a few minutes to be able to get back to idle without dying...a large white cloud I’m assuming is built up gas is expelled when starting this way, leading me to believe its flooding. Most of the time it’s fine, and off the trailer it starts right away. Thanks in advance

2. Member
    no sir that's not problem , excess smoke is good indication of flooding or leaky fuel system
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    So it’s ok to turn key all the way off, hear beep again and crank? That’s not contributing to flooding? Seems like the only times it happens is when I forget to just turn the engine over again without turning the key all the way off.

4. Member
    yes / has someone bypassed ecu and wired fuel pump to run continues ????? some times this will be done when fuel pump driver is bad in ecu ,either way vst should not flood over with key on
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................