Mega transducer on jack plate

Anybody out here who’s running there mega transducer on the jack plate . I wondering if you get as good a image as you do running it down on the transom . I put it here with the transducer shield to protect my investment. But I see a lot of images looking better than what I have been seeing.

The number one item to allow for regardless of the transducer location is a clear "line of sight" left and right for the SI pulses.

Next is, the farther you have the transducer above the hull bottom, the less speed you can use when scanning (that cavitation thing).

Also the SI pulses "see" from the water's surface to past vertical under the transducer on both sides. If you put the transducer on the side of the jackplate and don't have a hole shot plate or cover, you will get multi-echoes recorded from the inside of the jackplate. You will also get that if you attach the transducer to the hull where the sonar pulses will get to the inside of the jackplate.

Post #2 here has some examples of the jackplate echoes on the left side of the centerline:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=172535
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    The number one item to allow for regardless of the transducer location is a clear "line of sight" left and right for the SI pulses.

Next is, the farther you have the transducer above the hull bottom, the less speed you can use when scanning (that cavitation thing).

Also the SI pulses "see" from the water's surface to past vertical under the transducer on both sides. If you put the transducer on the side of the jackplate and don't have a hole shot plate or cover, you will get multi-echoes recorded from the inside of the jackplate. You will also get that if you attach the transducer to the hull where the sonar pulses will get to the inside of the jackplate.

Post #2 here has some examples of the jackplate echoes on the left side of the centerline:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=172535
    wow I haven’t noticed any images like that . That image number 6 is awful. I guess I need to dial it in better.

4. Member
    Mine is centered below my Bob's 10" jackplate.

5. Member
    I moved the transducer for my Helix 9 G1 to 3 different spots on my jackplate and was never satisfied with the image quality.. Decided to invest in the epoxy mount so I could mount it lower on the transom w/o drilling any holes and it made a world of a difference. I have since upgraded to a G2N mega and use the same mount and location as my old HD transducer and it has performed well
    Main Lake Hump.jpg

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass_prodigy75 View Post
    I moved the transducer for my Helix 9 G1 to 3 different spots on my jackplate and was never satisfied with the image quality.. Decided to invest in the epoxy mount so I could mount it lower on the transom w/o drilling any holes and it made a world of a difference. I have since upgraded to a G2N mega and use the same mount and location as my old HD transducer and it has performed well
    Main Lake Hump.jpg
    What epoxy mount are you talking about? That sounds like something I definitely need.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberOne View Post
    What epoxy mount are you talking about? That sounds like something I definitely need.

http://sternsaver.com/
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL