Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

MEGA 360 Information

I also posted this in the 360 Information sticky topic:

MEGA 360 Compatibility:
    • Direct Connect MEGA 360 Sonar Transducer:

SOLIX 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2SOLIX 15 CHIRP MEGA DI+ G2 CHOSOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2SOLIX 12 CHIRP MEGA DI+ G2 CHOSOLIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G2SOLIX 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ G2 CHOHELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3NHELIX 12 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3NHELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3NHELIX 10 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3NHELIX 9 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3NHELIX 9 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3NHELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3NHELIX 8 CHIRP MEGA DI+ GPS G3N (Note that due to a hardware limitation in the SOLIX “G1” and HELIX G2N, MEGA 360cannot directly connect and be controlled by these models)
    • Indirectly via an Ethernet subscription to a SOLIX G2 or HELIX G3N model:

All SOLIX G2All SOLIX “G1”All HELIX G3NAll HELIX G2NFAQ:
    • How does the MEGA 360 connect?
      • The new MEGA 360 connects the same way that a conventional 2D, DI, or SI transducer connects.
      • The MEGA 360 can be connected directly alongside a second transducer with a transducer splitter cable. For HELIX units use: 9 M360 2DDI Y (720107-1). For SOLIX units use: 14 M360 2DDI Y (720108-1).
      • If the MEGA 360 is connected in addition to another transducer, sonar options will be 2D, DI, 360, and SI from the MEGA 360. Stand-alone SI will not be an option while the MEGA 360 is connected

• Can I connect other transducers at the same time as the MEGA 360?
      • Yes
      • HW, HW/MEGA DI+, HW/MEGA DI+/MEGA SI+ imaging transducers can be connected in conjunction with the MEGA 360. Built-In MEGA DI+ from a Minn Kota trolling motor can also be connected at the same time as a MEGA 360.
      • A transducer splitter cable is needed to do this. Use a 9 M360 2DDI Y (HELIX) (720107-1) or a 14 M360 2DDI Y (SOLIX) (720108-1) accessory cable.
      • If an MEGA SI+ transducer is connected with one of these y-cables, the Humminbird will not be able to get SI data from the MEGA SI+ transducer – only HW and MEGA DI+ will be available. However, the user can get MEGA SI data from the MEGA 360.
      • US2 Minn Kota transducers and Humminbird transducers that are 83/200 or 50/200 cannot be connected at the same time via Y cable with a MEGA 360.
      • Airmar High-Wide transducers can be connected at the same time as a MEGA 360, but Low, Medium, High, and 50/200 kHz Airmar transducers cannot be connected at the same time.

• What is the MEGA 360 wet switch used for?
      • The MEGA 360 wet switch automatically stops MEGA 360 pinging/rotation while the transducer is out of the water,in order to prevent wear and tear.
      • The MEGA 360 and Humminbird unit remember if the user had pinging turned on or off, and when the MEGA 360 is put back into the water, it will resume the users selected previous operation mode.

• What other frequencies does the MEGA 360 support besides MEGA?
      • The MEGA 360 can ping at MEGA and 455 kHz frequencies.

• How can I use the MEGA 360 to mark waypoints and spot-lock points?
      • The MEGA 360 can be used to create waypoints and spot-locks.
      • In order to do this a Humminbird AS GPS HS (408400-1) or Minn Kota i-Pilot Link BT Heading Sensor must be on the network.
      • In order to use Minn Kota i-Pilot Link BT Heading Sensor data:
        • SOLIX must be running software version 3.400 or later
        • HELIX must be running software version 1.940 or later
        • i-Pilot Link must be running software version 1.270 or later | i-Pilot Link remote version 2.010 or later

• How is the MEGA 360 powered?
      • The MEGA 360 is powered by a separate power cable that connects to a 12 volt power source.

• Is the MEGA 360 easy to install and remove?
      • The MEGA 360 has connectors and a mounting bracket that are designed to be installed or removed in 1-2 minutes.

• What trolling motors is the MEGA 360 compatible with?
      • The MEGA 360 is compatible with 45” and 54” shaft-length Minn Kota Ultrex, Fortrex, and Maxxum trolling motors.

• Is there a transom mount version of the MEGA 360?
      • No

• Can the MEGA 360 be shared between the HELIX and SOLIX over Ethernet?
      • No.
      • If the MEGA 360 is connected to a SOLIX – it can only be shared over Ethernet to other SOLIX units.
      • If the MEGA 360 is connected to a HELIX – it can only be shared over Ethernet to other HELIX units.

Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

2. Member
    It will be interesting to see the different installation configurations.
    Mega 360 won't be for everyone.
    I personally wouldn't be able to adopt it without changing bow unit and trolling motor.

When the original 360 came out, was the transom version introduced at a later time?
    Console [HELIX 10MSI G3N || HELIX 10MSI G3N]
    Bow [HELIX 12 CHIRP SI GPS G2N] || RC-2] || [HELIX 10MSI G4N] || [M360 UNIVERSAL MOUNT] || [Mega Live]
    ULTERRA80/US2/IPLINK-60" BT || 2xAS ETH 5PXG || Victron IP67 12V/25A || [NoCo Genius GX2440 24V/40A]
    [X2 GROUP 31] x 3 || [Battleborn 31 lithium]
    Alumacraft Voyageur 175/Yamaha VF115LA

Quote Originally Posted by tweakjr View Post
    It will be interesting to see the different installation configurations.
    Mega 360 won't be for everyone.
    I personally wouldn't be able to adopt it without changing bow unit and trolling motor.

When the original 360 came out, was the transom version introduced at a later time?

When the 360 first came out there was only the transom model. A few years later the bow model was released. Most of the whole history of the 360 is in the sticky topic.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    It sucks that it cant be connected to a g2n helix with a Ethernet port.

5. Member
    So cannot connect the first version Solix?
    John

Solix 12, Helix 12, Onix 10

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeBack View Post
    So cannot connect the first version Solix?
    Doesn't look like it John. Only after connecting directly to a mega +.... or in the case of a Solix, it must be a G2 Solix for the 360 connection. They are saying right now that a Solix won't share to Helix or the other way around.

Seems they were planning ahead on this with the Mega + SI and DI models and added drivers for the mega 360 to them. I think they should have done an Ethernet module and made it more widely compatable .... but I've never been in marketing.
    Last edited by Bob B; 07-01-2019 at 10:25 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

7. Member
    I believe the TM compability FAQ (3rd bullet from bottom) must be an error. Can't find any reference to a 54" Ultrex, Fortrex, or Maxxum TM on the Minnkota site.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob B View Post
    Doesn't look like it John. Only after connecting directly to a mega +.... or in the case of a Solix, it must be a G2 Solix for the 360 connection. They are saying right now that a Solix won't share to Helix or the other way around.

Seems they were planning ahead on this with the Mega + SI and DI models and added drivers for the mega 360 to them. I think they should have done an Ethernet module and made it more widely compatable .... but I've never been in marketing.
    Yes, Bob, it does look like it. We can all accept that some units at some point can be called legacy but a Solix only about two years old?
    John

Solix 12, Helix 12, Onix 10

Quote Originally Posted by StrikeBack View Post
    Yes, Bob, it does look like it. We can all accept that some units at some point can be called legacy but a Solix only about two years old?
    Yeah .... I don't think they should have done it the way they did .... but they didn't ask me either.

The chatter on the other mega 360 thread really died off after this came to light.

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

Delete

Last edited by doctorxring; 07-02-2019 at 01:45 PM.

11. Member
    Well I won’t own one anytime soon as I have the current 360 but it’s nice they eliminated the need to run it as a Ethernet device.
    Nitro z21

12. Member
    Here is some questions I asked Brian of BBG Marine about what comes with the Mega 360 in a box as he got these answers from ICAST.

Here are some questions I asked the HB reps about the MEGA 360 and includes their reply....>>

What's in the box with MEGA 360 ?
    -10 ft Extension Cable
    - 10 ft SOLIX to HELIX Adapter/extension (connector comes standard for SOLIX).

How long will the y Splitter cable be ?

- 30” splitters

Does the short attached cable from the top of the 360 attach directly to the Splitter or will there be an extension cable ?

- Depending on configuration.
    - If you want it direct to the SOLIX or Helix and don’t care about using that SOLIX/Helix for another ducer (i.e: trolling motor MDI), you can connect direct with an extension
    - If you want to read depth from your trolling motor transducer, you would use the Y cable (1 lead on the splitter going to 360 and the other to Minn Kota’s MDI connector) and then use the extension to bring it to the SOLIX or Helix.

Is the AS GPS HS heading sensor included ?

- Not included. Only needed if you want to overlay waypoints.

13. Member
    If an MEGA SI+ transducer is connected with one of these y-cables, the Humminbird will not be able to get SI data from the MEGA SI+ transducer – only HW and MEGA DI+ will be available. However, the user can get MEGA SI data from the MEGA 360

this is disappointing. Basically means you need 2 mega G3N units on the network in order to get full mega 360 capability and full mega SI+ capability.

Unfortunately it also appears that a transducer switch wouldnt solve the problem either (as its not compatible with chirp etc) https://humminbird.johnsonoutdoors.c...nsducer-switch

14. Member
    So I could connect this new Mega 360 to my current Helix 12 chirp with a "y" cable and only use the 360/sonar view on my Helix 12?
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    So I could connect this new Mega 360 to my current Helix 12 chirp with a "y" cable and only use the 360/sonar view on my Helix 12?
    You don't need a Y cable if MEGA 360 is all you want displayed on your G3N Helix 12 CHIRP.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    You don't need a Y cable if MEGA 360 is all you want displayed on your G3N Helix 12 CHIRP.
    Mine is an older Helix 12 si/di chirp (non mega) model
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

Quote Originally Posted by woppercatcher View Post
    Mine is an older Helix 12 si/di chirp (non mega) model

Read the first two paragraphs in post #1.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

18. Member
    From what I am seeing, the Y cable and the AS GPS HS heading sensor would be extra to buy after you buy the Mega 360. Correct me if I am wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by cevans View Post
    From what I am seeing, the Y cable and the AS GPS HS heading sensor would be extra to buy after you buy the Mega 360. Correct me if I am wrong?
    I would guess so with the Y cable since the MEGA 360 will work with a Helix and a SOLIX, the unit transducer connections are very different---7-pin vs 14-pin.

With a SOLIX you would need the AS GPS NMEA adapter to connect the AS GPS HS to the display, same as now. Or with Minnkota iPilot LINK, you can use the Minnkota Heading Sensor instead.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    Wayne

So if I have a Helix 9 Chirp GPS G3N on the bow and a Helix 12 Chirp Mega SI+GPS G3N on the console tied with Link I would not be able to use the Helix 9 since it's not SI nor DI? Correct?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast