Banned

Evinrude Intruder 150

recently my evinrude intruder has not been performing well at full throttle. It starts fine, runs fine, idles fine, jumps on pad etc. But my top end speed has been decreased by about 10 mph. No extra weight, same gas, same graph gauging the speed, same people in the boat. I always run ethanol treatment, and just put in some sea foam to see if it would help with no prevail. So in short, what could make my motor lack that much in performance at the top end?

2. Member
    Summer. High temps and humidity. Where are your RPM's?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Summer. High temps and humidity.
    ^^^^^^^^^ This.
    1997 STRATOS 285 PE EVINRUDE INTRUDER 175

4. Banned
    interesting, that much drop off? and around 5,000

5. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    What were the wot rpms before this happened?

6. Banned
    closer to 5500 and now im 5,000-5,100.

7. Member
    Not speaking for everybody living in the South but most of us run a summer and a winter prop. I run one lower pitch different in the summer to maintain the 5400 - 5800 RPM's I can get in the fall/winter/early spring while maintaining the same overall performance.

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Not speaking for everybody living in the South but most of us run a summer and a winter prop. I run one lower pitch different in the summer to maintain the 5400 - 5800 RPM's I can get in the fall/winter/early spring while maintaining the same overall performance.
    It's what I do also.....that is a pretty good drop in rpms , if you don't know the health of your engine...a compression test just to be sure before laying out $$ for props....JMHO

9. Banned
    had it out yesterday, first run of the day it topped out at 5,100 RPMS and about half way into that run slowed down to 4,500-4,700 RPMS and stayed there pretty much the rest of the day. Idk if its fuel, compression or what but something is not letting the old girl eat at full speed.

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Next time out when it acts up push in on the primer/choke. If it picks up its fuel, if not it's electrical.

11. Banned
    So just keeping this thread going. Took it out, ran fine...got home and oil had leaked out and was sprayed all over the motor. Popped the cover and it had a little small pool in the bottom. What’s the deal? Leaking oil/loss of pressure maybe my problem the whole time? The oil primer ball stays nice and tight.

12. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Run it on the hose in the driveway and find out where that leak is coming from. I'm guessing the VRO.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

13. Banned
    VRO was my guess as well. Loosing pressure like might explain all my issues.

14. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    It could be coming from leaky float bowls, the nut on the fuel filter, any of the hoses a cracked maintenance valve or cap on the primer solenoid. Need to prime the system with the air box cover off.

15. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Before you go much further, please confirm the model # of your Intruder.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

16. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Once you figure out where that fuel leak is coming from (and fix it), take a look at your timing roller on the topside of your starboard carburetors and make sure the plastic sleeve is still there. If that has deteriorated and fallen off (like most do), you're carbs probably aren't opening all the way. That could be a contributing factor to your loss of top end rpms. If it's not there, I have one sitting in the garage I can ship to ya.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI