Power Steering pump/pulley. Need Mechanic's opinion.

Had a power steering pump replaced on a 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 last Friday. My son was driving it on Saturday and the belt shredded. The pulley wasn't seated all the way and today the shop that did the repair said the pulley backed off. They claim to have seen this before. Is this possible or did they not press the pulley on all the way to begin with?

Thanks

2. Member
    If they put the pulley on a new pump they should cover their work.

3. Banned
    Its possible. If it were my shop, the job would be double checked, corrected, and belt replaced at no charge.

4. Member
    You must have a power steering pulley puller to remove and install these pulleys. A hammer won't do.

5. Banned
    I went to Autozone and "borrowed" the p/s pulley puller. It was not any big deal to install the replacement, new pulley and new belt.

My truck is a Powerstroke diesel with the Bendix Hydroboost system. It uses the power steering pump to operate the power brakes since there is no vacuum on the engine. After changing fluids and bleeding the air out of the Hydroboost system, it was like I'd done a brake job on the truck.

They owe you a new belt and reposition the pulley to proper position. Shouldn’t have to ask for help. Of course at no cost to you...

7. Member
    mopar needs an adapter to get pulley in correct position. comes in the pulley tool kits
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

8. Member
    I just stopped by the shop. They put a new pully and belt on and it through the pulley right away. He showed it to me and it had several chip marks taken out of it. They ordered another pump, pulley and belt and will try again tomorrow. My son has been driving this truck for a few weeks without power steering. They don't seem to know why this is happening.

If they don’t drop the washer from the kit in front of the pusher bearing you don’t get the pulley on all the way

While it’s great they see the chips in the pulley now.. they didn’t see them the first time ?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryT View Post
    If they don’t drop the washer from the kit in front of the pusher bearing you don’t get the pulley on all the way

While it’s great they see the chips in the pulley now.. they didn’t see them the first time ?
    The pulley didn't jump off the first time. It shredded the belt but stayed on the pump shaft.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barca_Veloce View Post
    I just stopped by the shop. They put a new pully and belt on and it through the pulley right away. He showed it to me and it had several chip marks taken out of it. They ordered another pump, pulley and belt and will try again tomorrow. My son has been driving this truck for a few weeks without power steering. They don't seem to know why this is happening.
    If that kid can drive a truck a couple of weeks without power steering, he gots some muscles.