A Curado 70 For Light Weight Lures?

I fish baits like Shaky Heads with a baitcaster. By reading post on this site; I understand the Curado 70 will would cast these better than say a Curado 200k. How would it compare to the Chronarch 50MG for these weights that I use now. Reason I am asking is; looking at the faster gear ratio. But; I am not sure the faster ratio will matter that much overall. I have had some fish come out from a dock that was hard to catch up to. I also see a lot like the Diawa. Thanks a head of time.

2. Member

For those techniques a 7.1 or 8.1 is what you want. I’ve had a 70XG before and it does cast light weight lures nice, but you have to dial it in right. I’ve also had a Curado K before, but did not use it for light weight stuff. I own several Tatula SVs and if frame size is not a concern to you, I’d take a serious look at the Tatula SV in either 7.3/8.1.

Now my personal finesse bait caster is a Steez SV TW, and it’s well the best of everything. But it’s in its own class of price point and reels
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

3. Banned
    Casting wont be any better. That MG spool is the tits. However, you will get a bit faster retrieve with the 70 ratios. The choice is yours.

If I had a 50mg I wouldn't be looking to a Curado for an upgrade. I use Cronarch 50 E for the same technique and I love it. The 50mg would but that much better.

I don't understand what a little faster ratio will do for shakey head fishing.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    You can pick up a used Pixy in good shape for less than the price of a new 70. You can get 6.8 gears for them. I got 7.2:1 gears for a reel I had tuned and upgraded, but can't remember if it was a Pixy, Alphas or TDZ 105H.

6. Member
    I will second a used Pixy. For mag finesse an Alphas SV105 is nice

7. Member
    I have a 50mg and a 70xg and in my opinion the 50mg does a better job with lighter baits like shaky heads down to an 1/8 ounce, but on the other side of the coin, the faster retrieve on the 70xg has helped me a lot on catching up to fish that kick it in turbo mode around hard cover after the hook set. I would recommend the 50mg for what you describe and possibly a handle upgrade for a longer handle for leverage and do your best to catch up to them.

8. Member
    Also, I would recommend a rod that’s maybe a few inches longer to help with line pickup on the hook set. I use a 7’2’’ rod for the same exact technique you are describing and have noticed it helps to make up the difference in retrieve ratio.

9. Member
    The spool in a 50MG is going to help with casting a lighter bait but I've got a couple of the curado 70's and I use them for shakyheads pretty regularly. Works fine for me but I'm a shimano guy. Pixy might be great for it.
    '13 Triton 19SE 225 Pro XS
    '09 Chevy Silverado Z71