Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    When I was in contact with Northstar a few years back, the Dual Pro (Pro Series) was their number one recommendation. Pro Mania was also high on their list.

About two years ago, there were software problems with the MK 460 PC. There were several threads here on BBC. Nobody really knows if they were actually resolved.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

2. Member
    They must have been solved. Me and a couple pals are running a Northstar NSB-AGM-31M and charge it with a MK 460 PC without issue.

So if my charger is the likely issue because it can't fully charge the AGM X2...

I have one of the banks on the charger not being used. Could I hook up 2 banks from the Charger to the X2 and possibly get a better charge until my new charger arrives?

Thanks
    Always "Huntin" the IA Bass!

Boat: Nitro Z7
    Primary Propulsion Unit: 200 Optimax ProXS
    Vertical Depth Propulsion Adjustment: 8" Bobs Action Jack
    Underwater Surveillance: Solix10 G2 Console & Solix10 G1 Bow
    Anchoring: Powerpole, Ultrex Spot Lock
    Dynamic Positioning System: Ultrex i-pilot Link

4. Member
    I have used Guest chargers in the past. If I remember correctly you can use two banks from the guest charger for one battery. At the very least if you are using the 5 amp bank on your X2 I would change it to a 10amp.
    Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

5. Member
    I’ve got the same battery running 4 graphs,poles,pumps and everything else. I bought a NOCO 10 amp charger and it’s only for the cranking battery. Once in a blue moon I’ll get the low voltage beep when I hit the key. I never unplug my charger unless I hook up my portable charger just to give it a hard boost and it’s never left me stranded like the 24 series that came in the boat did.
    Brian Howard
    2023 Phoenix 919 Pro XP
    2023 Mercury 225

Quote Originally Posted by bandit53 View Post
    Northstar manufactures the X2. I have run the same battery (Northstar NSB-AGM-31M) on my last 2 boats. My current boat has 2 HDS12's, 1 Helix 10, 2 PP blades, SonicHub, Oxygenators, Point 1 and NMEA all powered from this battery. I have never had a problem with low voltage. Several of my friends with similar setups, but running 2 Solix units, also run this battery without issue. All of this to say, your choice of battery is not the issue. Maybe you have a bad battery, maybe not. What you need to do is have the battery Load Tested, Any reputable battery provider should be able to do this. A lot of times, when folks are having a battery tested, the store will test for a bad cell; this is not the same test as Load Testing.

I would also recommend you speaking with Northstar and Guest to insure your current charger is capable of charging this battery.

If you battery will not pass the load test, Northstar (and I assume BatteriesPlus) should replace it free of charge. Good luck!
    Just had the battery into Batteries Plus and they said the battery is fine after load testing. Also said something has to be draining it.

I dont know what to do at this point 3hrs and my battery can barely turn over the big motor...
    I puchased a 4 bank Dual Pro Charger (15amps per bank) Still the same issue.

At my wits end, just never had this issue before...

Quote Originally Posted by DREWTICK View Post
    the Stud and threaded post is connected together and its fine to just use one or the other or both, you will need a quality agm charger to charge that battery they way it needs to be charged preferably at least a 15amp on that bank, but 10 amp will do if the charging profile is right.

looking at that model charger there is a separate 5 amp lead for the starting battery, that may have been intended for a standard starting battery, from my experience with they X2 it take a lot to properly charge but that would depend on length of time also.

you may want to also check for excessive current draw while fishing but it takes a lot to drain that battery in a day.
    Charged with my new Dual Pro (4bank 15amp) and still the same issue
    Very frustrating!

8. Member
    Might be time to go to a marine mechanic.

9. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by einsteins View Post
    Charged with my new Dual Pro (4bank 15amp) and still the same issue
    Very frustrating!
    this is a entry level amp meter but should suit the purpose of locating the problem https://www.amazon.com/1mA-DC-Clamp-...19-spons&psc=1

you can get by with a test light between the battery cable and the post but an amp meter will give you a better idea of just how bad the draw is,
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

10. Member
    Honestly man just turn off your console graphs when you're trolling a lot. Too be honest I turn off everything unless I'm absolutely needing it.

I run the same battery, and I know 100% I've got a massive power creep somewhere. So I just take extra steps to allow myself to get home at the end of the day.

this is a entry level amp meter but should suit the purpose of locating the problem https://www.amazon.com/1mA-DC-Clamp-...19-spons&psc=1

you can get by with a test light between the battery cable and the post but an amp meter will give you a better idea of just how bad the draw is,
    So you just put the loop around each of the wires going to the + terminal?
    What reading are you looking for? What is too much draw?

Appreciate the help!

12. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by einsteins View Post
    So you just put the loop around each of the wires going to the + terminal?
    What reading are you looking for? What is too much draw?

Appreciate the help!
    put it around your main power wire or positive battery cable, cut everything off, should be no to little amp draw depending on if the motor is directly to the positive, turn on the main power switch still leaving all accessories cut off, as you start turning on lights or pumps you will see the amp draw increase, make not of what each devices pulls and also read total amp with everything on you have on while fishing
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    info@drewcraft.com

put it around your main power wire or positive battery cable, cut everything off, should be no to little amp draw depending on if the motor is directly to the positive, turn on the main power switch still leaving all accessories cut off, as you start turning on lights or pumps you will see the amp draw increase, make not of what each devices pulls and also read total amp with everything on you have on while fishing
    Ordered the meter and I will have it tomorrow.

Will let you know what I find...
    Thanks!!

OK

Meter arrived and got the battery back from Batteries Plus who said the battery is working perfectly.

Reinstalled the battery and connected everything up

Here are the amp draws

Main Fuse box with accessory Switch off .244 amps
    Main Fuse box switched on .418 amps (5 port HB Switch is directly powered from main fuse box) all other switches are off.
    with just light switch on .667
    with just Livewell pump on 1.05 amps
    with just livewell recirc pump .972 amps
    with just Bilge pump on 1.16 amps

2 solix are run on a seperate fuse box with nothing else connected. Fuse box is connected directly to battery via 10ga wire. Front graph is connected to fuse box via 12ga wire.
    2 solix on (4screen split) 3.5 amps at the battery

2 power poles connected directly to battery .3 amps EACH

Thats it...everything connected to my battery...

Took multiple readings on each one of the above numbers.

Thanks

15. Member
    Following. I have the same battery. I run 3 Solix’s (2 12’s on the console and a 15 at the bow), 2 8ft blades, LED’s etc... I have never had a single issue, and I’m in the middle of my 3rd season on it.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

Quote Originally Posted by TXZ21 View Post
    Following. I have the same battery. I run 3 Solix’s (2 12’s on the console and a 15 at the bow), 2 8ft blades, LED’s etc... I have never had a single issue, and I’m in the middle of my 3rd season on it.
    I dont get it... Nothing in my list seems out of order but I dont really know either.

Hopefully someone who knows will chime in

I just realized I forgot to connect my Hydraulic JP. Will get it hooked up and check it, cant imagine it will be an issue but need to check!

18. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    was this on the main positive cable? and did that include the positive to the big motor?
    also get a total with everything on that might be running when on the lake, pumps will draw more when pumping water also but curious about the total amps with everything on not including running poles or jack plate
    info@drewcraft.com

The engine has its own cables
    There is another set of cables that powers the main Fuse box.
    Readings above reflect the meter reading with meter around Fuse box positive cable and me turning on that device and taking the reading.

Solix are separate as noted above.

With normal trip out I would have accessory switch on, have not been using live well or lights so reading on typical trip would be .418 amps.

Thanks

20. Moderator
    Could there be a weak connection going to motor, making it SEEM like there's a lack of power when in fact there't not? I've had that happen to me before! Chasing down electrical issues can be tough.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast