Thick smoked chops on a Weber Smokey Mountain.

First time smoking these cuts of chops. Turned out OK. I have a weber smokey mountain grill, 18 inch. The bottom rack took about 15 more minutes for the chops to get done then the top rack. Used the water pan. Is this typical of smoking meats using both racks with the water pan?
    thanks!smokedchops.jpg

2. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I have the same smoker, but haven’t tried chops. I usually don’t use the water bowl unless it’s a long smoke and I want to keep the temp at 225. Looks good, might give it a try.

3. Member
    Cover that water pan with foil and don’t bother with it aside from changing out foil once in awhile. I’ve never used the bottom rack on mine so I can’t comment on temp differential.
    Ill add, if you do chops, brine them if you haven’t tried it. I get the butcher to cut my pork chops 1 1/4”. Much prefer a brined and seared chop over charcoal to a steak.

Worth it if you enjoy smoking and use it enough to justify.
    https://pitmasteriq.com/collections/...products/iq120

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol-Blue View Post
    Cover that water pan with foil and don’t bother with it aside from changing out foil once in awhile. I’ve never used the bottom rack on mine so I can’t comment on temp differential.
    Ill add, if you do chops, brine them if you haven’t tried it. I get the butcher to cut my pork chops 1 1/4”. Much prefer a brined and seared chop over charcoal to a steak.

Worth it if you enjoy smoking and use it enough to justify.
    https://pitmasteriq.com/collections/...products/iq120
    Thanks for your reply. When you're smoking a brisket or other meats that take all day do you still not use the water pan? I'm going to smoke a flat brisket next week. Most of the videos I have watched uses the water pan for smoking those long cooking meats.

5. Member
    I do not use any water when smoking on my WSM, and I’ve been using it for a few years. Watch your temps, choose well marbled cuts of meat, brine as needed on poultry and pork, crutch when you feel the need to.

Have you used your WSM a lot? I ask as the water helps with temp control, but a well “burnt in” smoker does just as well.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ol-Blue View Post
    I do not use any water when smoking on my WSM, and I’ve been using it for a few years. Watch your temps, choose well marbled cuts of meat, brine as needed on poultry and pork, crutch when you feel the need to.

Have you used your WSM a lot? I ask as the water helps with temp control, but a well “burnt in” smoker does just as well.
    I've had the WSM for a few months. Have smoked a turkey, a few chickens and those pork chops. I do brine the turkey and chops. I tried a brisket but got the fire too hot so it cooked too fast and was tough. Will try another brisket flat in the fall.

7. Member
    I like to cook the thick "Rib Eye Cut" Pork Chops from Sam's Club. They have more marbled fat then the lean center cut chops. I sear each side for 1-1/2 min's over direct heat, grill grates at 500 degrees, then indirect heat to finish to an internal temp of 142 to 145 degrees. Let rest for at least 15 min's.