Where to fish in Maine

I recently relocated to Portland, ME from VT where I fished Champlain all the time. Finally got the boat registered and ready to go. I've never fished any of the lakes and have no idea where to start. What lakes should I start with? Sebago, Little Sebago, Cobbosseeconte? Trying to stay around an hour drive from Portland. Just looking for some guidance on a decent lake to start out on. I don't even know where any ramps are at this point. Small or largemouth. Thanks for any help.

Cobby about 1hour 15 from Portland, down the road is Maranacook also in Winthrop, 1 hour and 1/2 from Portland is Androsoggin Lake there is a free ramp in Wayne , and a Pay ramp at Riverbend Campground in Leeds , Also there is ramp in Leeds onto the Androscoggin River , check ME.Gov I'm sure there haver listings for all public ramps in the state of ME

2009 ELITE 210

Do a search of this forum. Have answered this several times lately.

4. Member
    Thank you. I think I'll try Cobby. Not a great time being around the 4th, but better than sitting at home.

5. Member
    Maranacook is good
    Red Sox in 6!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrog Phil View Post
    Maranacook is good
    Is there a good smallie population in Maranacook? I'll be fishing the area in september!

Quote Originally Posted by javjoe View Post
    Is there a good smallie population in Maranacook? I'll be fishing the area in september!
    Yes

8. Member
    Very Yes
    Red Sox in 6!

Matt,

Dana, marinetechnician, here on BBC actually works for a marina in Portland. Good guy, I'm sure if you message him here, he can help you out. Just click his name here and send Dana a message.
    marinetechnician

BTW, a group of us from the Northern Rally will be on Cobbee the week of Sept 15. You should come and join us even for a day or so.
    Last edited by Big Al; 07-05-2019 at 05:20 AM.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

10. Member
    I'll be there for the 2 weeks before you guys Al. I'll try not and educate em all��

Quote Originally Posted by Ruffhills View Post
    I'll be there for the 2 weeks before you guys Al. I'll try not and educate em all��

Mike, you need to schedule your fishing with us in Sept. We have a great time.

12. Member
    Thanks for the invite Al but after Cobb gotta get home grab the dogs and head north for awhile and chase birds. But nothing better than fishing in the fall in maine

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Matt,

Dana, marinetechnician, here on BBC actually works for a marina in Portland. Good guy, I'm sure if you message him here, he can help you out. Just click his name here and send Dana a message.
    marinetechnician

BTW, a group of us from the Northern Rally will be on Cobbee the week of Sept 15. You should come and join us even for a day or so.

Thank you! I'll definitely try to stop by in September.

14. Member
    Just as a follow-up, I ended up going to Cobbee on Friday. Launched at the public ramp and made a first stop mid-way down the lake along a rocky area. First cast of the day caught one. Figured that was bad luck as it has been in the past, but ended up with 11 total for the day. Mostly largemouth. No real size, but not bad for half a day.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seagoo View Post
    Just as a follow-up, I ended up going to Cobbee on Friday. Launched at the public ramp and made a first stop mid-way down the lake along a rocky area. First cast of the day caught one. Figured that was bad luck as it has been in the past, but ended up with 11 total for the day. Mostly largemouth. No real size, but not bad for half a day.
    We think that was a good day !! Fishing is fishing and if you hit it on a good day and get to see some of the hot spots, you will be more then happy...

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by red tzx 190 View Post
    We think that was a good day !! Fishing is fishing and if you hit it on a good day and get to see some of the hot spots, you will be more then happy...
    Went to Sebago today and got skunked. Didn’t fish much as the family was with me but at least we got out and rode around the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by seagoo View Post
    Went to Sebago today and got skunked. Didn’t fish much as the family was with me but at least we got out and rode around the lake.
    Matt,

Messaged marinetechnician and Dana said he would be happy to help you out with info on ramps and lakes. Just message him.