Thread: New to flipping

New to flipping

Any suggestions on a flipping jig that is good in grass? Thanks!

2. Banned
    oldhams screw lock jigs

Dirty Jigs makes a good swim jig that excels in grass as well.

4. Member
    punch skirt and a 3/8 tungsten and a speed craw

Grassmaster by All Terrain Tackle is far and away the best jig I've ever used coming through grass. "0 degree" recessed line tie, a stout hook, and they've started tying their skirts relatively recently as well. I'll often trim down the weed guard to make it come through even better, just remember that anytime you shorten a weed guard you also should remove some strands as a shorter weed guard becomes stiffer. I usually fish the 1 oz variety. The North Star South Paw is probably my second favorite, I do the same with that weed guard.

But the rig that comes through the best for me is a pegged flipping weight, I usually like 3/4 oz tungsten, with a punch hub below it (board sponsor ACT Lures makes the best I've ever seen, whatever skirt colors you want tied on an aluminum hub for a great price) and the flipping bait of your choice. The skirt makes all the difference in the world in the rig going into and coming out of the grass. All that said, sometimes they just want a jig.

EDIT: I think I probably generally use a heavier weight than many for this technique, even in sparser vegetation and shallower water. It's not to say that I won't go as light as 3/8 in my punch skirt set up or 1/2 on a jig if I'm not getting bit, I can just cover a ton more water this way and I think most times the heavier weight means you're more likely to get a reaction strike as the bait flies into their face quickly.
    Last edited by DrewFlu33; 07-01-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360