Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Good Lipless Rod

Have not really fished a lipless much, but tried it yesterday and it worked well. Used and LV-500, and got multiple, bigger bites. I used a Dobyns Extreme 743 with braid to leader. Seemed to do the job. What are you guys using for your lipless rods? As an inexperienced guy with these baits, not sure if I'm asking for trouble with that rod. Also have MB Javelin that I considered using....but, I love it for deep cranking and trying to avoid wasted time with retying on the water.

2. Member
    ALX Grind with 14 lb flouro

In the Dobyns line, the 734 has always been a solid choice. I’m intrigued about how a 735 Glass would handle the duties. Not sure if you’re fishing open water or ripping grass

4. Member
    I use a 7ft 6 medium heavy Denali kovert.

Get another Javelin. It's an awesome lipless crank rod among many other things!

6. Member
    I like:

Dobyns 705cb glass fast for open water.
    G. Loomis MBR843 GLX for ripping or all around.

I own a Javelin as well, but I haven't used it for lipless cranks yet. Should work very well though.

Best lipless rod I have used is the St-Croix Legend glass MH.

8. Member
    I use a javelin. It’s a rod that doesn’t seem as popular in the destroyer line but it’s really versatile

9. Member
    Another vote for the Loomis MBR 843 in your flavor of line... GLX, NRX, IMX, etc

10. Member
    Anyone use a Flat Side Special?

Either a Dobyns 705CBG or 765CB. Lews BB-1 with 15# Ande Backcountry.

My usual lipless rod is actually a Duckett 7' 6" MH crankbait rod....it has just enough backbone to clear the hooks of lighter to moderate amount of grass. Use that with 15 lb fluoro. Never really fished a lipless in heavy weeds.

13. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TohoRookie View Post
    Anyone use a Flat Side Special?
    I use the Gen 1 XX Flat Side Special. I put an snap on it and does double duty for squarebills and lipless. If both lures are going, I'll put the lipless on a Gen 1 XX Diablo Spec-R and use the FSS for the squarebill.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

14. Scraps
    Bin using a Powell Endurance or 3D 755CB for throwing big lipless.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

15. Member
    I like the EMTF

16. Member
    For the money the Duckett Micro Pro 7'6 cranking is hard to beat. Has a good tip for ripping and enough parabolic bend to keep fish pinned. Really nice rods

17. Member
    I use a Dobyns 765cb rod for throwing 1/2 to 1oz traps on big flats. If I need to be more accurate then I drop down to an old gloomis 847cb rod.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scotty34 View Post
    ALX Grind with 14 lb flouro
    X2! Finally got to put this through the paces and now know the perfect set up for me!

19. Member
    Are you fishing it around grass or cover? I rip a trap out of grass a lot. I have been experimenting a lot this year with glass rods, been throwing a JackHammer and a Lipless Crank on glass all year and I am really liking it. My Lipless rod is a Daiwa Tatula 7'2 MHRB-G, this rod is really powerful to be a glass rod and i have a awesome landing ratio with the deep flex the rod offers. Another glass rod I have used a ton this year for that application is the new St. Croix Legend Glass 7'2 Heavy Moderate. That rod is a Beast for ripping traps or chatterbaits, but still has just enough tip that you don't take the bait away from the fish. Same for the Daiwa Tatula 7'4 HRB-G, witch is my favorite JackHammer rod at the moment, powerful back bone but still has enough tip to secure the fish. No hookset needed just let the rod load up and keep reeling! I am normally always throwing around cover or grass being on Guntersville and fishing the south in general, I have always used 15lb or 17lb InvizX, Can i ask why you choose to run braid to leader?
    Sales - The Tackle Trap
    2001 Ranger 518VX
    2001 Mercury Optimax 200
    Tackle Junkie

20. Member
    Honestly because I don't have a dedicated Lipless rod yet. I just cut off a walking bait and tied it on. However, I prefer braid to leader whenever possible though, mainly for sensitivity.

Quote Originally Posted by tacklekid55 View Post
    Are you fishing it around grass or cover? I rip a trap out of grass a lot. I have been experimenting a lot this year with glass rods, been throwing a JackHammer and a Lipless Crank on glass all year and I am really liking it. My Lipless rod is a Daiwa Tatula 7'2 MHRB-G, this rod is really powerful to be a glass rod and i have a awesome landing ratio with the deep flex the rod offers. Another glass rod I have used a ton this year for that application is the new St. Croix Legend Glass 7'2 Heavy Moderate. That rod is a Beast for ripping traps or chatterbaits, but still has just enough tip that you don't take the bait away from the fish. Same for the Daiwa Tatula 7'4 HRB-G, witch is my favorite JackHammer rod at the moment, powerful back bone but still has enough tip to secure the fish. No hookset needed just let the rod load up and keep reeling! I am normally always throwing around cover or grass being on Guntersville and fishing the south in general, I have always used 15lb or 17lb InvizX, Can i ask why you choose to run braid to leader?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast