Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hydro foil ???????

hey guys. i have a zx 190 that porpoising around 30 mph with motor trimmed down. i have been reading about alot of guys using a hydro foil from BC marine. is this necessary or does my motor need to just be lowered?

2. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    What motor? Jackplate or mounted in the transom? Have you checked that when you trim down the motor is indeed going to the lowest setting?

A Chris Bailey foil is a piece of art imo, but your boat should not have this issue!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

3. Member
    I have tzx190 had similar problem , set motor at 3 1/2 inches from pad to prop center all is good now

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    What motor? Jackplate or mounted in the transom? Have you checked that when you trim down the motor is indeed going to the lowest setting?

A Chris Bailey foil is a piece of art imo, but your boat should not have this issue!
    06 Yamaha 175 hpdi. mounted on a slidemaster.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper54 View Post
    I have tzx190 had similar problem , set motor at 3 1/2 inches from pad to prop center all is good now
    you set prop below pad 3-1/2?

6. Member
    Yes look under show us your numbers and you will see other peoples measurements on there boats

7. Member

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper54 View Post
    Yes look under show us your numbers and you will see other peoples measurements on there boats
    mine apperars to be about 4- 1/2 inches below now

clike, I recently had an issue on my TZX200 with a 200 HPDI that did the same thing with the motor down an inch too far. The 3 and a half inches below pad is a great rule of thumb, and the problem stopped with my boat when I went to 3.5". Now, I echo the masses: start at 3.5" below pad

Good luck
    2004 Skeeter TZX200
    Yamaha 200HP HPDI VMax
    Networked Lowrance HDS9 Gen2 Touch, HDS7 Gen2 Touch, LSS-2

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisBreault View Post
    clike, I recently had an issue on my TZX200 with a 200 HPDI that did the same thing with the motor down an inch too far. The 3 and a half inches below pad is a great rule of thumb, and the problem stopped with my boat when I went to 3.5". Now, I echo the masses: start at 3.5" below pad

Good luck
    So, I am having the same issue as clike. Below 30 MPH my ZX190 starts to bounce.

Is the above true? If you are too far below pad it will also porpoise, just like if it is too high?

11. Member
    thanks for all your input. i will raise it and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by axis View Post
    So, I am having the same issue as clike. Below 30 MPH my ZX190 starts to bounce.

Is the above true? If you are too far below pad it will also porpoise, just like if it is too high?
    I highly recommend starting there now. Since getting mine to 3.5" prop-to-pad, there's been a world of difference.

Before going to 3.5, when the height was incorrectly set, I would porpoise badly at low speeds before. I hadn't yet measured my prop-to-pad and just experimented by dropping from where I was by another 1/4" to see what difference was made. The porpoising at low speeds only got worse, but I was nearly at 5.5" below pad at that point.

Measuring with the pad level and the motor cavitation plate level and raising to 3.5" center-line prop-to-pad solved all of this and greatly improved my holeshot. Really, I think it made the boat ride like it should. I think it was a big part of why I hadn't been impressed with how the boat was riding. What a difference now. I wish I'd prioritized it sooner.
    Last edited by ChrisBreault; 07-06-2019 at 11:52 AM. Reason: Additional information
    2004 Skeeter TZX200
    Yamaha 200HP HPDI VMax
    Networked Lowrance HDS9 Gen2 Touch, HDS7 Gen2 Touch, LSS-2

13. Member
    The CB Marine foil is solid. It help with low speed performance, but what i didn't expect was how it help in rough water performance. It plants the rear solid and really improves performance in rough water. Glad I took the leap.

14. Member
    I have a 2016 ZX190. I purchased a CB Marine foil. Best purchase I ever made for my Skeeter; changed the whole boat. Mine was porpoising too. I moved the motor up and down with no success until I installed the foil. All problems were solved.

15. Member
    i went for a test ride today after adjusting to 3 1/2 below pad . it deffinetly was an improvement. might go another 1/4 inch. thanks for all the help

I just checked my Prop to Pad, on my 2008 ZX 190. It is right at 4" below pad.

I just raised the motor this spring by 1/4" when I installed some Talons, thinking that with the extra weight it would need raised.

So, my understanding is that to raise the motor by 1/2" will help with the porpoising??? Just want to make sure. Seems backwards to me. How does this effect the rough water ride? Thanks!

17. Member
    I just checked my Prop to Pad, on my 2008 ZX 190. It is right at 4" below pad.

I just raised the motor this spring by 1/4" when I installed some Talons, thinking that with the extra weight it would need raised.

So, my understanding is that to raise the motor by 1/2" will help with the porpoising??? Just want to make sure. Seems backwards to me. How does this effect the rough water ride? Thanks!
    I

it helped me a lot and yes it seems backwards

18. Member
    raised it another 1/4 inch . ride has greatly improved. thanks for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by clike View Post
    raised it another 1/4 inch . ride has greatly improved. thanks for all the help

Clike,

So are you at 3 1/4" Below Pad currently? Has it effected, good or bad, the rougher water ride?

20. Member
    Clike,

So are you at 3 1/4" Below Pad currently? Has it effected, good or bad, the rougher water ride?
    sorry. just seen this. yes and it rides better

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast