Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

USA 1992 Ranger 451V Porpoising

Hello all, I am new to BBC boards and to bass boats, this is my first fast boat. I have a a 1992 Ranger 451V, with a 1993 Mercury 150 HP XRi engine. 23P Mercury Tempest plus propeller. It has a 10" Quicksilver Paralift jack plate on it. I bought the boat a year and a half ago used. This year was the first year I have been able to try and run it wide open due to engine repairs. It porpoises real bad when getting on plane after about 30-40 yards of being on plane. I thought I was going to flip the thing. I have to back out of the throttle to a heavy wake to stop it. I did try trimming under, raising and lowering the motor. Three of us in the boat, three batteries in the stern, live wells were empty, 10 gallons of fuel in each tank, plus anchors and fishing gear. I was able to get it on plane with just me and my brother in the boat, he was sitting in the front on the deck. I had to feather the throttle up and down then hold it to keep it from porpoising. Is the jack plate too much for this style hull? I don't want to move the trolling batteries and lose the storage space in front. Does the propeller have too much bow lift for a naturally bow lift hull? Should I get a propeller that has stern lift? I am planning on taking the Quicksilver jack plate off and installing a Detwiller 6" plate. Can anyone who has owned one of these point me in the right direction? I want to thank all in advance. I do read the avise on here and have been helped considerably already from other posts.
    Michael

2. Member
    Welcome to BBC, yes it's a great resource. To start:

Trim all way down, then full throttle, when she breaks over, start trimming up to about 40-50%. Play with trim position to get best performance.
    Mike

2019 Ranger 520L w/ 250HO ETEC G2
    2011 Tracker 175TXW w/ 75HO ETEC

3. Member
    If you are porpoising with full down trim you may need a wedge on the transom. Usually porpoising is caused by insufficient power or too much up trim. Not many bass boats use anchors, you do seem to have quite a bit of stern weight. I don't own a Ranger, but some time in the past, that combination must have worked for a previous owner. Obviously you get a large bow rise on take off, usually a trim issue. Maybe, just maybe too much weight aft.

Did the motor ever have a whale tail on it?

4. Member
    Are you running a jackplate? I had to remove mine. I have a 451 and i went through quite a bit of trial and error before i got it rite. PM me if you want more details..

5. Member
    I would suggest taking the 10" jackplate off. If you want to go back with a smaller one (4" or 6", I'd prefer the 6") that would probably be fine. I'd set the prop shaft height at 3.5" below the pad ..... and see if that fixes the issue. A lot of Rangers run pretty good at that height, though it might not be optimal.

As for the prop, the 23" Tempest should be fine, as long as it's in good shape (no bent blades, large nicks, etc).

3 batteries and a small anchor in the back shouldn't cause this issue. Also, that boat should still run decent with 3 people in it as well. Granted it might take it longer to plane out with 3 (compared to 1 or 2 people), but it should still run decent. You might have to run more negative trim, but you shouldn't have porpoising issues.

Also, check the hull for having had any repairs. Someone might have not done a great job and your issues are coming from a rocker. Also, I think those hulls had a hook added to their hulls on the edges. You might want to Google that to make sure, and then check your hull to make sure someone didn't remove them (via sanding).

Good Luck!
    -391v
    '09 Ranger Z520 Silverado Edition / '09 Evinrude ETEC 250 HO
    '15 Xpress HD16DBX / Merc 59ci

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I read your [OP] post when the thread was created and have been waiting for responses from someone with experience in that hull. But I agree that the 10-inch setback plate may be creating multiple problems. In this scenario, a large plate causes the balance of the boat to shift substantially to the rear not only through its weight but also by extending the “lever.” As the stern drops, the bow must rise, which certainly can exacerbate porpoising. As you already intend to replace the 10” plate with a 6” plate, I’d be tempted if it were me to do as 391 suggests and try running with no plate at all. But an experienced owner or former owner of that hull may still come along to lend expertise.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Spent alot of time in one back in the 90's they are fast nimble great handeling hulls. A 12 inch plate was normal and no porpoising ever with several different props. Hole shot was good and we ran 3 people alot. The paralift plates get shorter as they are raised only full width at lowest setting so that is something to consider but still I was never in one that porpoised. You got something else going on you need to find and figure out before spending money on plates.

8. Member
    Thank you fellows for all the input. I did try all the settings as suggested by Blkfalc 4 suggested to no avail. It did get on plane with two of us in the boat, my passenger was sitting on the front edge of the front deck. Fish4big1, yes I am running a 10" Quicksilver Paralift. The propeller is brand new, just bought it last month. The original propeller is a 25P Yamaha Pro Series, I just found that out after showing it to the Mercury mechanic at Bass Pro here in the area. It has been hit and the hub slips BADLY when it gets real hot. It actually goes into a neutral state until it cools off so I can't run it. The motor never had a whale tail on it. I am going to remove the 10" jackplate, if it ever quits raining here, and put the 6" Detwiller on. I may just mount the engine to the transom. I am not sure the steering cables will allow it due to the length that they are to accomodate the 10" jackplate. I never have checked the hull, I will Google it and try to get that done. Thank you for all the input. I will PM you fish4big1 if I need to after I make my adjustments. Thank you.

9. Member
    Leave the jack plate on. That’s not the problem. I fished with Basil Bacon on Buggs Island during an invitational in the early 1990’s. He ran a 451 / Merc 150 with a 12” plate and it ran like a scalded dog and definitely did not propose. You need to find a good prop guy and have him work a wheel for that rig. I think there’s a guy on BBC that works props and really knows his stuff. Maybe someone can chime in.

By the way that 451 is a really fun rig when it’s set up right. You’ll love it!
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

10. Member
    Thank you ericm. I am talking to Mark Croxton right now over e-mail. I will see what he has to say.

11. Member
    Update, I talked to Mark Croxton over e-mail. The original propeller, the Yamaha Pro Series, is not much different than the Mercury Tempest plus. I have also run across a guy in Texas who use to set these hulls up for a dealer, he said Ranger would not let them put on any jack plate over 6 inches. In recalling the previous owner's comments, he use to go fishing alone in it. I do not think he had the weight I had to know it would porpoise. He did make a comment that it ran its best when the engine was level.
    Whatever level is with a jack plate like the one I have. I cannot work on it due to rain..........AGAIN!
    Happy 4th of July to all!

Back in the day all the boats where tiny compared to the aircraft carriers of today. That being said, my 18'ers where very weight sensative and I recall my hydraulic jack settings varied depending upon load out as opposed to my 21' boat which seems to like the same setting regardless of loat out. The larger boats have greater displacement so they carry more weight better. Its just physics and hydro-dynamics.

Keep a power jack plate, short boats need them more than big ones.
    2012 Ranger Z519 Comanche - Merc. 225 Pro XS - 24 Razor 4 XL/25 Tempest Plus

13. Member
    Update, I took the Quicksilver Paralift off my boat. I put the Detwiler jack plate on. I have yet to try it. I am taking it to Wisconsin in August. I will try it then.
    Last edited by charvelplayer; 07-01-2020 at 06:06 PM.

14. Kansas Bass Club Moderator
    I can’t help but think that in all the years this boat has been on the water that it just started this. I’m thinking operator error, and not bashing anyone but that happens sometimes.

rode in a 451 a lot and I’d love to find a nice one some day

15. Member
    You may be right. This is my first boat of this type. I did try different motor heights and speeds to no avail. The previous owner never mentioned it when I bought it, but he also did not mention a few other things wrong with it that I had to repair.

16. Member
    Anyone wondering how much the Quicksilver Paralift jack plate weighs? It is 64 pounds. I weighed mine today on a shipping scale.

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Fowl View Post
    I can’t help but think that in all the years this boat has been on the water that it just started this. I’m thinking operator error, and not bashing anyone but that happens sometimes.

rode in a 451 a lot and I’d love to find a nice one some day

I'm agreeing with this. Being new to this type of boat and the way it functions is my guess. Now that you have a manual Jack Plate, you need to set it to set it at 3.5 in Pad To Prop. This is a good place to start. I would next make sure you're getting FULL throttle. Take the cowling off and move the throttle all the way forward. Now check to see that the throttle linkage is reaching the throttle stop on the motor. Now, go to the lake and move the trim all the way DOWN. Next give it FULL throttle. As it starts to break over, back off on the throttle until it crests. Now you can start trimming up, slowly until the steering "Feels" like it's power steering. If it starts to porpoise, give it more throttle or, down trim. Hope this helps.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    Thank you for your help. The Detwiler is a hydraulic plate. It will go 4-3/4" below pad, we measured it on the trailer. I will sink it on hole shot with negative trim, then do as you suggest. We will be trying it in two weeks.

Chris Bailey foil will stop the proposing 100%!!

20. Member
    I have heard about the foils fixing porpoising, I do not really want one. I just got back from a fishing trip, we can run with 3 people in the boat, two in the seat & one in the front without any porpoising. If only two ride in the seat, it porpoises. Someone has to ride up front. I may have to bolt the motor to the transom. We are half way home.
    Last edited by charvelplayer; 06-24-2020 at 07:46 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast