Etec 200 HO (e200dhlsdf)/2007 stratos 294 Fuel Flow Problem

All,

I'm having a problem every so often I go out where my fuel line will run dry and be nothing but air, and I won't even be able to prime the line with the primer bulb. I let the motor sit for a while then I am able to prime it again with the primer bulb. I've hooked the engine up to the diagnostics software and tested the fuel pump; I can hear and feel the fuel pump running, and the diagnostics look good when monitoring while running.

Any ideas on what to look at? Only thing I can think of is there is some debris in the fuel tank and occasionally getting picked up and blocking the fuel pickup. It's a PITA to get access to the tank though on my boat as they didn't make an access panel.

Thanks.
    Last edited by awmcdonald; 06-29-2019 at 03:49 PM.

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Have dual tanks? I can't remember on the 294's if they have a single or dual tanks. May be a bad anti siphon valve on the tank an easy way to test is to connect a portable tank to the motor and see how it does. I just finished working on a pontoon that had a fuel issue and it turned out to be the fuel pick up hose, it had deteriorated and was broken off about 2" from the top of the tank.

3. Member
    It's a single L shaped tank that goes behind the seats. I'm hoping there is enough clearance to work from the back otherwise the whole top cap has to be raised. Thanks for the idea champion. I'll give that a shot. I may try to find someone with an inspection scope to see what the pickup hose looks like before doing anything too crazy.

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Not for sure, but I think you can open the livewell lids to access the screws for the panel behind the seats gaining access for the pickup tube and sending unit.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    Not for sure, but I think you can open the livewell lids to access the screws for the panel behind the seats gaining access for the pickup tube and sending unit.
    Champion, the boat ran fine on a portable tank, but it also runs fine most of the time on the boat tank as well. This has only happened twice now this year, and I've put about 20 hours on the motor.

Yeah, I was able to slide the tank out. I removed both rear storage compartments and the livewell to do it. The pickup tube was fine and the screen was pretty clean. Anti siphon valve appears to be working, but I ordered a new one just in case. I confirmed the gas tank vent was clear as well. I'm going to replace the primer bulb too since it looks original (gas lines are black and no signs of deterioration), but I'm not sure where to go from here as this doesn't happen every time out.

If something is floating around in the tank it could sometimes clog the pickup and then fall clear when there is no suction. It doesn't take much, a buddy had plastic worms causing the same thing one time. You have to love little grand daughters.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

7. Member
    So I'm back to troubleshooting after replacing the anti-siphon valve and primer bulb. I started with a high pressure fuel pump test, and per the service manual it shouldn't drop below 15psi for some time, correct? Thoughts on what I should be looking at next? Manual mentions fuel injector, pressure regulator, or external leak. I see no signs of an external leak.

Here is a video of running the test via the diagnostics software: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1W_...bxPLhJvlCzcC2q

8. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Tee the gauge in line and run the rig. next time it does it observe the fuel pressure and if the pump is running. Excessive fuel pressure would make me think something is blocking fuel flow......

9. Member
    Thanks Bassmeister. I'll give that a shot. I ran the high pressure test again, and I got different results this time... 40 psi running the fuel pump test and held at 21 psi when it stopped. I can consistently get that result now. I don't think I had the vst completely full using the primer bulb the first time.

10. Member
    I narrowed down the issue to the high pressure fuel pump. I received the new Walbro model, and was wondering if the new pump requires any EMM update or if it is plug-n-play? Did a few searches online, but didn't find anything regarding that. I'm going to use evdiag to test it before cranking, but I figured I would as the question.