Adjusting bunks with boat on the trailer

I have a 1998 Ranger R-91 Intracoastal (19’ 6”) boat with a 200 EFI mercury. The original trailer was galvanized steel (Intracoastal package). The original trailer has severe corrosion on all of the secondary structure, main structure is fine, still rust free and solid. I may rebuild it one day, but too much work for now., I want to fish.

I purchased a newer used Ranger Trail aluminum trailer that is in good corrosion free condition, and it has a heavier weight rating compared to the original trailer, so I really like it. They are both single axle trailers. The new trailer was under a 2004 Ranger Cayman 191 originally. I was hoping the bunks would fit the shape of the hull bottom better, since both boats have similar looking Ranger hulls, but that is not the case.

The bunks aren’t quite arranged at the proper height to support the hull correctly. The center long bunks need to come up about an inch toward the front of the trailer. The short outer bunks are the opposite, they seem to be too high at the front ends of both sides. I’m planning on making the required adjustments by using longer or shorter vertical c-channel sections where required, and bolting the new parts using stainless steel hardware.

My plan is; (with boat on the trailer) to remove one outer side bunk, and raise that side of the boat a few inches with a floor jack or a bottle jack, or both by lifting under that unattached bunk. With one side raised I will install the required extensions on the center long bunk, trying to match the bunk to the hull bottom at each support location. Then, put the outer bunk back on where it was removed, so I can reverse sides, and jack and support the other side, focusing on getting the other long center bunk adjusted to fitting the hull. My plan is to realign and fix the two center bunks first, getting the boat to rest on them properly with no gaps between the hull and the bunks, with the front eye just below the V roller inline with the hand winch. After I have the two center long bunks adjusted properly, I’ll focus on the two outer short bunks. In the end I want all four bunks to have the hull sitting on them with no gaps. It sounds easy but I have never done it before.

Has as anyone ever successfully adjusted trailer bunks to fit a different hull with the boat sitting on the trailer? Or, does anyone have any suggestions to do this different, Maybe someone has a better idea? Or method. Thanks in advance!

Ax
    1998 Ranger R-91 Intracoastal
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI (S/N OG680217)
    Tempest A45 25P (no jackplate)

2. Member
    I have a Load Rite. It was designed to fit several different boats. I have adjustable bunks, the adjustments sometimes slip. I can put a rollaround jack under the bunk support, loosen the bolt and jack the bunk to where it should be with the boat on the trailer. Maybe you can too.

3. Banned
    Is a roll around jack the same as a floor jack.?

4. Member
    yes, hydraulic, with wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by billnorman1 View Post
    I have a Load Rite. It was designed to fit several different boats. I have adjustable bunks, the adjustments sometimes slip. I can put a rollaround jack under the bunk support, loosen the bolt and jack the bunk to where it should be with the boat on the trailer. Maybe you can too.
    So doing it your way, instead of lifting the boat on one side, I should adjust each bunk up or down as required. I like that idea. I think I’ll adjust the center bunks first like my original plan, then after the two long center bunks properly supporting the hull, I’ll adjust the shorter outer bunks.

thanks Bill
    1998 Ranger R-91 Intracoastal
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI (S/N OG680217)
    Tempest A45 25P (no jackplate)

Quote Originally Posted by Axhammer View Post
    So doing it your way, instead of lifting the boat on one side, I should adjust each bunk up or down as required. I like that idea. I think I’ll adjust the center bunks first like my original plan, then after the two long center bunks properly supporting the hull, I’ll adjust the shorter outer bunks.

thanks Bill
    Thats exactly how you do it. Start from the middle and get the boat sitting the way you want on the trailer with the center bunks. Then adjust the outer bunks for fit and support. After a few times on and off the trailer you may need to fine tune.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

7. Member
    Got a new EZ Loader aluminum for my Champ. Mine was a custom, they built it off plans they had from when they made trailers for Champion.

Needless to say, the bunks needed adjustment since it was built without having the boat on hand. The outer bunks were carrying all the load. I decided to shim all the bunks to get it with even contact all around. I actually pulled all my bunks, pulled the carpet, and put the bunks back on with no carpet. That way, when I lowered the boat back onto the trailer, I could see really well where the bunks were low and get the shimming just right all around. I used a combination of wedges I made out of pressure treated 2x4 and 1/8" or 1/4" thick by 2" wide aluminum bar stock, the wedges were up front the bunk needed just a bit of twist to get good contact with the hull.

Once I had the shimming right, I lifted the boat back up, pulled the bunks, reinstalled the carpet (it came with two layers of carpet on to of each bunk, I went with just one, I figure it'll hold less water....maybe that was a bad decision....time will tell), and put everything back.

A lot of extra labor for a new, spendy aluminum trailer....but now it's right, and probably better than it would have been had they had the boat, IDK. But I know it's good to go, and it was just an afternoon of work.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp

8. mikesxpress
    Kevin's process is the correct way to mate the bunks to the hull. Carpet hides allot of flaws when it comes to even weight distribution. Gatorbak bunk cover installation shows all of these flaws and shimming of mounts corrects it for most trailers.

9. Member
    I was thinking about doing the gatorbaks as I was going through all this, partly for this reason of not having to take the bunks off, take the carpet off, put the bunks back on, shim, take them off, put carpet back on, put bunks back on.....a lot of rigamarole.....
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp