Thread: Sooner today

Sooner today

Fished Sooner today. Boat ramp is good, but the walkout ramp is out of service. Not really sure why, because it’s a controlled level power plant lake. Maybe there are some other problems, but I don’t see the lake level being one of them. I mostly fished for Saugeye and had pretty good luck, caught three decent Saugeye, lost two. Took a little time and fished for LMB with a Carolina rig with a plastic worm in some shallow weed beds but had no luck. Only had time to fish for four hours so overall I felt like a pretty good day. Water was clear and surface temp was ~80 degrees.

What are you using to Saugeye fish?
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou1dadgumit View Post
    What are you using to Saugeye fish?
    I was pulling a size number 7 shad rap, caught them on both the perch color and the blue and white color. That size of shad rap will usually dive around 10 feet, I was pulling them at 2.0 mph trying to stay 10 to 12 feet and that’s where I caught them. You almost always catch Saugeye on bottom, hardly ever suspended. I used to fish a lot for Walleye/Saugeye in the Missouri River system up north, shad raps always worked well. They were very aggressive, so it was a lot of fun.

Thank you for the info. Might try it 1 day. I have several shad raps.
    Denalirods.com
    Solarbat.com

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ou1dadgumit View Post
    Thank you for the info. Might try it 1 day. I have several shad raps.
    Good luck let me know how you do. Another way we used to catch them was drifting in those same depths with jigs tipped with either nightcrawlers or leeches. I used to pull crank baits until I found a spot that seem to be holding a few fish and then I would pull Cranks one-way, and drift back with jigs. Now if I could ever learn how to catch largemouth bass!

6. Member
    While Sooner is a mostly controlled level lake with makeup pumped in from the Arkansas River is does still receive runoff and of course direct rainfall. With the amount of rain the lake and area around it saw its level did rise and the dock traveled up and off of the guidepost anchors. It’s not a normal event but we did have a ton of rain there for a while.

I assume the dock will get repairs soon but am not sure exactly when that will take place

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blindhogg View Post
    While Sooner is a mostly controlled level lake with makeup pumped in from the Arkansas River is does still receive runoff and of course direct rainfall. With the amount of rain the lake and area around it saw its level did rise and the dock traveled up and off of the guidepost anchors. It’s not a normal event but we did have a ton of rain there for a while.

I assume the dock will get repairs soon but am not sure exactly when that will take place
    Thank you for that information. I was wondering why that dock was pulled back. For some reason I thought once it reached a certain level it would just go over a spillway. I was surprised to clean the water was with all the rainfall taken into consideration.

8. Member
    Your correct the lake does overflow via a spillway..........but when inflow is so much greater than what can passe over the spillway (flow constrained by geometry and construction of the structure) the lake level rises above the spillway top. With the amount of rain that we had in such a short time.....that's what happened. My understanding is that when the dock is re anchored it will have taller guide posts, hopefully preventing a repeat occurrence.

Having 2 radar indicated tornados cross the lake in one evening probably didn't help the dock out. It tore the dock from the walkway and shoved it halfway up onto land across the channel to the north.
    Now if someone would please fix the road... I don't believe it's ever been this bad.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Klinger N Ok View Post
    Having 2 radar indicated tornados cross the lake in one evening probably didn't help the dock out. It tore the dock from the walkway and shoved it halfway up onto land across the channel to the north.
    Now if someone would please fix the road... I don't believe it's ever been this bad.
    Road is terrible. Bathrooms could use some regular maintenance as well. I can get by with not using the bathrooms but occasionally I bring my granddaughter with me and they are not even useable. I wonder why these issues are ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by itsahog View Post
    Road is terrible. Bathrooms could use some regular maintenance as well. I can get by with not using the bathrooms but occasionally I bring my granddaughter with me and they are not even useable. I wonder why these issues are ignored?
    I've never been to Sooner but I see this problem at a lot of small lakes. I would happily pay a fee or even a little higher fee to fish and launch at a decent ramp and a bathroom where if you did have an unscheduled download, you could take care of business without feeling like you were going to catch some horrible skin disease from the toilet seat. The permanent concrete block bathroom at Bell Cow was so nasty that I could barely stand to be in there long enough to take a leak....and they charge a good fee as well.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.