Local Quality Yamaha Mechanic

Any good recommendations for a high quality Yamaha mechanic/diagnostician in the Charlotte area? I'm looking for someone to take a look at my outboard. I last brought it to J&J Marine, but after having it a week or two they gave it back and said there was nothing wrong. However, undoubtedly, there is.

I posted here on the Yamaha forums two weeks ago, but never got a reply. I've just updated the post with a video, which I've included here but can remove if it's problem.

The best indicator is the sound of the motor, which I understand is hard to diagnose by. However, when it's not running properly on the water, it's very obvious when it's right and when it's not just by the sound of it.

Any and all help/thoughts/suggestions on this would be great. Thanks all.
    2004 Skeeter TZX200
    Yamaha 200HP HPDI VMax
    Networked Lowrance HDS9 Gen2 Touch, HDS7 Gen2 Touch, LSS-2

2. Member
    You mught have a problem with bad fuel in the tank...might want to check that out...might have trash or water in it.

Run a tank of gas with Ring Free added and see if that helps. You don't have to add in every tank but Ring Free is a must for the HPDI's. Good Luck.

I've run through both tanks multiple times while this problem persists. This video was running fresh 93 octane fuel put into a near empty tank that morning. One big caveat it seems though, is that I haven't been running Ring Free at all; I've only been treating the fuel with Stabil but I'll give that a shot as well.

Does anyone know if the fuel tanks in the boat have their own fuel filters? It's known that ethanol ruined this boat's fuel system, and everything has been rebuilt and replaced since, with the exception of fuel filters "in the boat" or "in the tanks" as I'd recently heard rumor of.

Any decent Yamaha guys closer to the Charlotte area or would it be worth the haul to see Rodney out in Clinton NC? Any chance anyone else may know his name and could vouge or comment?
    2004 Skeeter TZX200
    Yamaha 200HP HPDI VMax

5. Member
    O2 sensors were notoriously the big problem with the hiding motors. See if you can clean them

6. Member
    Have you checked out Rock Outdoors in Southmont at High Rock? I’ve heard great things about their service Dept. I’ll be taking my boat there from now on.

7. Member
    362188-low-pressure-fuel-pump-yamaha-hpdi-3.html

Just wondering why 93 Octane?

Quote Originally Posted by rclark1 View Post
    O2 sensors were notoriously the big problem with the hiding motors. See if you can clean them
    This is one avenue I haven't gone down, but wouldn't be surprised. They can get carbon all over them and read incorrectly, right? I'll have to pull it and have a look. Would it be stupid to just replace it, rather than fuss with cleaning it or do they clean back to spec? I mean, I'd hate to throw money at a problem, but exclusion can bring peace of mind just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
    Have you checked out Rock Outdoors in Southmont at High Rock? I’ve heard great things about their service Dept. I’ll be taking my boat there from now on.
    I'm going to give them a shot I think before making the trip out to Rodney. Thank you for the recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by JayLaw View Post
    Given the motor sat as long as it did and has a bit of carbon build up, I was told running the higher octane fuel would require a higher chamber temperature to ignite and would in effect burn "cleaner". To be fair though, this is a recent change, and only made out of desperation. I'd always run 89 in my Mercury and previous have run primarily 89 in this boat as well.
    2004 Skeeter TZX200
    Yamaha 200HP HPDI VMax

9. Member
    FWIW, I soaked the tip of the O2 sensor on my OX66 in chemtool overnight, no problem doing that and it loosened a bunch of gunk up. Just don't get it in too far, I guess the upper part of the sensor shouldn't get into the cleaner. Some people say not to clean them though. I guess, what can it hurt to try? Was pretty easy to remove on a OX66.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp