HDS Carbon 9 at Console & Bow Point 1 Problem

Guys, I have a friend that just bought a boat that has Carbon 9's at the console and bow W/Point 1 and NEMA.

The unit at the console does not see the Point 1 it's good to go at the console. I tried auto-configure and still nothing. The boat icon at the trolling motor just spins and moves while sitting.

With the NEMA running threw the boat shouldn't both units see the point 1????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Member
    Do both units see eachother?

3. Member
    NMEA net probably has a fault. Search “NMEA network” and you’ll find countless NMEA network diagrams on how it “should”be.

4. Member
    No they do not see each other. My next step was to run his NEMA.

5. Member
    Not sure what you mean by "run his NMEA", but if it means to trace it out, then perhaps you could post a diagram of your findings. In your OP, you stated that the console unit does not see the Point 1, but the console unit does. I assume you mean 1 unit (either bow or console) sees the Point 1 on the NMEA, while the other unit does not? The NMEA is fuse protected, so if 1 unit is seeing the P1, that would imply the NMEA is getting power. Does the owner know if the previous owner ever had it working? Good luck!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch711 View Post
    Guys, I have a friend that just bought a boat that has Carbon 9's at the console and bow W/Point 1 and NEMA.

The unit at the console does not see the Point 1 it's good to go at the console. I tried auto-configure and still nothing. The boat icon at the trolling motor just spins and moves while sitting.

With the NEMA running threw the boat shouldn't both units see the point 1????

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Would that happen to be an Evinrude HO on that boat? Was one not long ago that had 2 NMEA networks on it. One for the engine and one for the electronics(or something like that). In any case only one NMEA is required.

7. Member
    Bandit, What I mean by "run his NMEA" is just check his connections or see if there is a bad kink something like that. I apologize about my first post the unit that does not see anything is at the bow the unit at the console is good. I'm not sure if the previous owner had it working or not. It's hard to help the guy when I only see him at our local Thursday night jackpot. LOL

Yup, No he's running a Mercury

Thanks for the input guys....

8. Member
    Mitch, based on your description, I would say there is a default within the nmea somewhere. I assume you are familiar with nmea assembly, but make sure that there is a terminator on each end of the nmea network. The sticky posts at the top of the forum show proper nmea assembly, should you need to look. Bottomline is each device should connect to the vertical leg of a tee, there should be a tee with power connected to the vertical leg of a tee (called a power node) and a terminator on each end of the nmea network. If all that is in order, you might disconnect and reconnect each connection to make sure nothing is loose. Good luck!

9. Member
    If he has already confirmed that the bow unit does not see the console unit or the Point-1 in the device list, then the first thing I would do is swap positions of the two HDS units and make sure the problem remains at the bow. At least then he would know the HDS is not the issue.