Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

braid line how much to use

I have a reel I want to put 65lb braid on to set up for Frog fishing. How much braid should have I put on the reel and how much backing.

2. Member
    I fill mine about half full of mono, then the rest braid. It's more than enough. If you're only going to be using it for frog fishing, you could probably get away with 3/4 backing and 1/4 braid, assuming you're not making super long casts.

3. Member
    We need to know the reels line capacity or what reel to give you correct information. If its a reel with shallow spool like a curado 70 no backing at all should be used. A large capacity like a Lose BB1 Pro could use quite a bit of backing then braid on top.

I tie the braid to the holes in the spool and then fill the spool completely with braid. As I snip off braid from use and the line starts to get below the lip of the spool a little, I will run the braid out in my yard, add some backing on the spool, and then wind the braid back on the reel so that I now have a full spool.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Fill it with straight braid.

6. Member
    Here's what I do. Bought me a line counter. On short range rods (flipping sticks, etc), I put 100' of braid then fill the spool with 20# Big Game. Then unspool it and wind it back on backing first. Most other rods get 150' except crank, A-rig, carolina rig. Full spool of braid, then backing as needed. What ever length line you think you need the procedure is the same.

Little bit of a PITA to unwind and rewind, but you only have to do it once on each reel. I have a big yard and can just walk the line off in the yard.
    Last edited by MCIPinkie; 06-30-2019 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo

7. Member
    Don’t put straight braid with no backing on a frog reel.

Put 7-10 yards of old mono. Then fill the spool. You can bomb a frog. The less line you have when you cast out, the less line you pull in per handle turn. More braid is more better. Just some kind of backing or it will slip.
    2019 Phoenix 920 ProXP
    Mercury 250 4S ProXS

Don't have anything to add that hasn't been said regarding line capacity and all that, but do have a comment re: backing and braid slipping on the spool: You can do straight braid if the spool has holes in it you can put the braid through then tie off a knot on it. If you knot it to the spool, it can't slip then.

Otherwise, definitely agree that you need at least a bit of backing first, or you can wrap the spool with electrical or self-fusing tape first and use that as "backing." It won't slip on that. The latter is my favorite since it doesn't leave the gooey mess that electrical tape does, you can find it in your big box hardware store usually next to the painters' tape and duct tape.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

9. Member

If your spool doesn't have holes that you can directly tie your braid, adding multiple half hitches will secure the braid down pretty well and prevent slip. I've been doing this method that Chad Hoover explains in the video with great success.

I use straight braid and put a bit of electrical tape over it to prevent slipping on the spool, either spinning or baitcaster.
    Don't bother me, I'm screwing for virginity.

I killed a 12-pack just to watch it die.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    I tie the braid to the holes in the spool and then fill the spool completely with braid. As I snip off braid from use and the line starts to get below the lip of the spool a little, I will run the braid out in my yard, add some backing on the spool, and then wind the braid back on the reel so that I now have a full spool.
    This makes WAY too much sense to be the right way! From now on this is exactly how I will do my braided rods!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

12. Member
    Sounds like someone wastes a lot of braided line. Take a 300 yard spool of any 30# braid. You can wind almost all of it on a reel when you can't possibly need more than 100. I got tired of only getting two reels out of a spool of line. My way works better than anything I've tried, and I am a braid believer. Every rod, every lure, ever sense it became available.

Mono backing 1/3 to 1/2 spool full. Full up with braid. That’s what I do with 50# and 65# Sufix 832.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    This makes WAY too much sense to be the right way! From now on this is exactly how I will do my braided rods!
    The neat thing about doing it this way is that before you add backing, you can also snip off any worn line near the end. Or, you can reverse the line and put the used section down in the spool.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    The neat thing about doing it this way is that before you add backing, you can also snip off any worn line near the end. Or, you can reverse the line and put the used section down in the spool.
    That’s another plus! I have always put 100-110 yards of braid on but as time goes by and I’m low on the spool I’m wasting so much line by replacing that 100 or so yards.

This method will allow me to switch switch from one reel to another until it’s down to that 100 yards or so. Except for my frog and flipping rods that have 65lb 832 on them all of my other braid rods have 40lb Sufix 832 so I can switch between reels pretty easily.

Thanks for the new idea!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    Sounds like someone wastes a lot of braided line. Take a 300 yard spool of any 30# braid. You can wind almost all of it on a reel when you can't possibly need more than 100. I got tired of only getting two reels out of a spool of line. My way works better than anything I've tried, and I am a braid believer. Every rod, every lure, ever sense it became available.
    where is the waste you are referring to?

17. Member
    all braid taped at the spool
    when it becomes twisty just roll it on to another reel

18. Member
    Try 50# vs the 65#, it casts easier.

19. Member
    I have an 8'10" Kistler rod that casts a frog 140 to 150 ft. (roughly 50 yards. I use 65 lb braid only on a Revo NACL reel as it has larger capacity than standard revo's. I throw half the line off the spool with this setup. This outfit will throw a Shower Blows 150 withing a few revolutions of cleaning the spool thus no room for mono. I put a piece of duct tape on the spool for the braid to "bite" and not slip.

20. Member
    Reply: Like most of us, I'd wind some backing on the reel until I thought I had enough and then fill the reel up with braid. If you make the assumption that 50yds is the right amount of line (what ever amount of line you want, it doesn't matter, just changes the numbers) I'd end up getting at the most 4 - reels out of a 300 yd spool of line. So now you've got 75 yards on the reel, when you really wanted 50.

At least for me, before I started with the line measuring, I always put more braid on the reel than I wanted, and spent more for for line than I needed. Remember, you only have do it once for each reel. When you change line, you unspool to the backing knot, retie, and away you go.

Whether you use tape, mono backing, or tie directly to the spool, at least for me, I always thought I was wasting line. I'd have a dozen partial spools of line that I had no idea how much was on. I'd think I had enough, start to spool up, and then not have enough. I mark on the spool with a Sharpy how much I've used. Unless you're one of those guys that just puts a full spool of braid on every reel, and that's another entire different problem, I think you'll find this works extremely well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast