Swimbait set up?

I’m looking to get into the “midsize” swimbait game. I’ve bought three 4” bull Shad and two 5” bullshad swimbaits and now I need a rod and reel to throw them on! I’m looking to spend around 300 for both. I’ve looked around just not 100% sold on any one rod and reel. What’s everyone using to throw these swimbaits!?!
    Last edited by WVTundra; 06-28-2019 at 08:50 PM.

2. Member
    I don’t own these but have been looking like you. If I was buying today I’d be looking at:

Dobyns Fury 705SB $130
    Lews wide speed spool super duty $199

Be $280 during a TW sale etc.

3. Member
    I'm not a huge fan of the Loomis E6X line, but their 7'4" swimbait rod is an awesome rod. Swimbaits, Ploppers, Arigs… all great.

4. Scraps
    I'm just getting into this. Recently bought some Megabass baits in the 3/4 to 1oz range that I plan on trying out tomorrow. I have a Powell Endurance 765SBR, swimbait rod rated up to 3oz. Like a moderate taper but stiff. I have a Lew's BB1 for it and 15lb mono. May step up to 20lb mono. The BB1 is a deep cranking reel and has pretty good capacity, but I think I may have to bump up to a more rugged Super Duty for heaving these big baits. We'll see. I think you can get away with a 734 rod for those baits. Both these rods i have I wish the butt of the handle was a little longer for two handed lobbing casts.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

5. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DMart1 View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the Loomis E6X line, but their 7'4" swimbait rod is an awesome rod. Swimbaits, Ploppers, Arigs… all great.

I use an E6X swimbait rod as well but I won't go so far to say it's awesome. It's a decent enough rod for these swimbaits and I use it for S-Waver 168's and XDs. I use an OG Tatula as the reel.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

It's a little more than you are willing to spend, but seriously looks at the Dobyns 795. You can probably find them used in good condition closer to what you want to pay. They are perfect for those size for the 5/6 inch Bull shads. The 4 inch any good Square bill crankbait rod will handle them. The 795 is a do anything rod IMHO and great for many different types of presentations from A-Rigs to Magnum Spoons.

7. Member
    I use a older Shimano Crucial 711MH mono 15 to 30 Braid 20-65 Lure wt 3 to 5 oz swim baits fast taper and will launch them !!!
    I have switched over to the Powell Endurance series of rods for throwing smaller swim baits other lures . Honestly these rods are the best hands down for the money ! i really do enjoy using them and brag about them whenever i can and they all have Fishing 13 concept A or C reels on them and once again ill brag on the A or C reels . on the Shimano rod i have a revo 4:1 ratio and a 4 or 5 to 1 on the others. The powell rods cast great are light and the Fishing 13 reels can hold a good amount of line and once u get them set up right cast great all day . Just my nickles worth , hope it helps