Question New bow and trying to settle on a release

I bought a Hoyt Powermax last week. My son joined an archery club a month or so ago and I was dying to join in Anywho, I have been using his Scott wrist release to shoot it. While I hold good groups out to 30yards I am just not sure its what I want to continue with. I am thinking about trying a finger type release. What are you guys using? Any suggestions?

2. Member
    Finger releases are ok for targets but I like the security of the wrist release for use in the stand at awkward angles.

I like thumb releases. You clip it on the D-loop and let it hang there until the shot. Wrist releases are so annoying in a tree stand.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

honestly the best for you may not suit the next guy. Lots of guys brag on the back tension thumb style releases but I never have been fond of them. The biggest pro is they are very accurate and as mentioned the tree stand guys like them. Most of the elk hunters/ deer stalkers I know go with a wrist strap style of some variation because it’s one less thing to keep up with, fighting thick brush gives a good chance to loose stuff and you don’t want to be loosing your release.

5. Member
    I've been using the Carter Wise Choice 3 finger release for the last couple of seasons, took me a while to get the hang of it but it helped my accuracy and confidence a lot, my cousin shoots with me and hates these releases, it all depends on the individual. One more thing, if you're using for hunting too, make sure your shooting something really fast, these releases make a louder click when set off.

I have shot a Scott Rhino wrist release for years. I did shoot a back tension thumb style release a few months ago and wasn't fond of it. For hunting it may be ok but not what I like for target shooting.
    @kennethandmacy
    2004 Triton 196
    200 Merc
    1199/898

7. Member
    I have the blackout double jaw wrist release and absolutely love it. But before I decided on this one I tried every release bass pro had and this one was the best for me. With this release I can make a tight group at 50 yards. Try them all, get what feels best to you and practice like hell.

8. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    Shoot some. I have tried the thumb release a couple times and I just don't shoot well with them.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

9. Moderator
    Thanks everyone. Some guys from my club are going to bring me a few different styles to try.

10. Member
    are you using a string loop or attaching release to the string? highly recommend a string loop, I use a Scott's caliper release. if you are grouping good at 30 yards just starting out I would tell you keep doing what are you doing. shooting 3d tournaments are great for practice and estimating yardage. don't get caught up in the speed game that most club members try to attain.

11. Member
    I've tried a few different ones and settled on a Stan's SX3. They are pricey but they are super nice releases.

12. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Paul... The Winn Free Flight is another option (I use the C-10 model)...

http://www.winnarchery.com/index.html

It distributes the draw weight much better than a traditional wrist strap release, IMHO.

They offer multiple size 'gloves' in both pull and relax trigger mechanisms; and each can be had in string loop or direct-to-serving applications.
    Who controls John Gill?

13. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggie View Post
    are you using a string loop or attaching release to the string? highly recommend a string loop, I use a Scott's caliper release. if you are grouping good at 30 yards just starting out I would tell you keep doing what are you doing. shooting 3d tournaments are great for practice and estimating yardage. don't get caught up in the speed game that most club members try to attain.
    I am using a string loop. I am using my sons Scott caliper right now. I have decent groups at 30 yrds (probably 3" group). Not worried about speed. I have my bow set at 60#s right now and that is plenty for me.

14. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Paul... The Winn Free Flight is another option (I use the C-10 model)...

http://www.winnarchery.com/index.html

It distributes the draw weight much better than a traditional wrist strap release, IMHO.

They offer multiple size 'gloves' in both pull and relax trigger mechanisms; and each can be had in string loop or direct-to-serving applications.
    I saw those but wasn't sure what to look for while searching. Thanks for the info. I will check it out.

15. Moderator
    I bought a Scott straight pull release with the molded grip. I tried the finger style and could not keep from torquing my shots with it. So far I really like this one. Will see how it goes.