Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    After seeing what happens to foam and water leaks, I’m not a fan of it. Yes it’s a great insulation, but you better hire the right company to install it and an even better hvac company that understands it.
    That is definitely a concern to me.
    I'm a pretty much "vanilla" feller, don't like to get off the proven path much. My composition roof and bat insulation has served me fine for over 35 yrs.

it will take a lot of convincing to convince me to invest in something different and better for my particular home / shop.

"ain't too smart.....but I'm always thinkin"

Stomp, waht about yer fireplace. i hear these igloo homes are built so tight that a fireplace won't draft.
    i know an old boy that built his own home, stick by stick, and it wound up so tight he has to open a window to use his fireplace

When I put in my fireplace I install a draft vent. It works great.

Troy, I'm not going to try to convince you of anything. But as you know I was in the construction bizz for over 30 years, foam is the best insulation for your home.

Quote Originally Posted by Stompy View Post
    When I put in my fireplace I install a draft vent. It works great.

Troy, I'm not going to try to convince you of anything. But as you know I was in the construction bizz for over 30 years, foam is the best insulation for your home.

did not mean that you were tryin to convince me. maybe should have worded it different, will take a lot of factual info from folks i trust to persuade my decision.

thanks

5. Scraps
    Venting these tight houses needs to be a consideration. If an HVAC company isn't aware they shouldn't be in the biz.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post

did not mean that you were tryin to convince me. maybe should have worded it different, will take a lot of factual info from folks i trust to persuade my decision.

thanks
    There you go, I know you'll research the hell out of it. I'm around if you have any questions.

7. Member
    We have a 3 year old home in east texas with spray foam. Lower electric bill than my old house with roll insulation. No roof vents at all and the attic stays just a few degrees higher than living space. It is amazing.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    We have a 3 year old home in east texas with spray foam. Lower electric bill than my old house with roll insulation. No roof vents at all and the attic stays just a few degrees higher than living space. It is amazing.

did they use closed cell throughout, or open cell on the roof decking like Stompy did?

Cork, if you do a "closed envelope" type of house, you need to do mechanical input AND output of the air in the house. Some folks seal up their house so well they can't light a fire in winter without opening a window. I've heard closed cell foam under and sides, about R60 fiberglass in the ceilings & make use of radiant barrier material.
    Just my 2 cents...

~~~~~ Bury my soul where the blue bonnets grow ~~~~~~
    https://www.mccainfishing.com/

10. Member
    HIGH humidity in deep east Texas makes things way different. Talk to a roofing manufacturer about warranty before committing to a plan. They will deny warranty for lack of proper ventilation. I’m not saying the foam isn’t good, I don’t know the answer, but this ain’t west Texas.

11. Member
    Been following along and thought I’d throw in my two cents. I remodeled my home, complete gut job. I should include I work in the HVAC industry and have my whole life. I spray foamed (closed Cell) everything and would do it over in a heartbeat. For us in the north we also have to worry about condensation in the attic in the winter time. I wanted to spray the underside of the roof but the insulator recommended with asphalt shingles to actually spray on top of the sheet rock instead and install soffit and roof vents. He said they have seen long term issues with the asphalt singles getting too hot. He said with a steel roof this wouldn’t be a concern but as my roof wasn’t that old I wasn’t going to touch it. You definitely need to have a HVAC contractor that knows what he’s doing to insure there’s ducted fresh air intake for any gas/wood burning appliances. I actually had to add a fresh air for my gas clothes dryer. I would recommend a good air exchanger also to allow controlled air into the house (most areas up here this is code now). All in all, great stuff. Whether -30’F and windy or 90’s and 70% humidity the house is very comfortable and utility bill usually $150/month 2000sqft. (And we keep the house 72’F year round)

12. Banned
    Cork, talk to your insulator about bib & fill, it has a fiber cloth system across the studs and then pumped full of insulation. Way cheaper than foam, works really well and you have no drawbacks to it. Will it make your house a foam igloo? No, but it has a much better R-value over regular fiberglass bats. It’s basically the middle of the road of the 3 types.

70% humidity??? I’d sweat my ass off with that, 30% sounds good to me.

13. Member
    Yeah, 83’F and 64% humidity currently, we really know how to pick our climate....

14. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XingEyeballs View Post
    Yeah, 83’F and 64% humidity currently, we really know how to pick our climate....

Lol, I bought a house in South Texas. The other day it was 105f and with the humidity around 90%, the “feels like” temp was 124. It was a HOT mofo!

I love the dry climate of West Texas, just too far to travel for subpar fishing.

We have an extra outside vent to bring air into the house. Attic is cooler then my previous house, but its still warm. They have the radiant barrier on the underside of the roof of my house.

They did a IR scan of the house from the inside to find any spots that needed attention. They found 1 for sure, and fixed the issue.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie206 View Post
    HIGH humidity in deep east Texas makes things way different. Talk to a roofing manufacturer about warranty before committing to a plan. They will deny warranty for lack of proper ventilation. I’m not saying the foam isn’t good, I don’t know the answer, but this ain’t west Texas.
    True Charlie... Mold can become an issue without proper air on this end of the state.
    Probably best for Cork to get a professional opinion from a "good" source.
    Sometimes in the sweatbox hear, you spend a ton of money to seal things up, then have to spend a ton more on mechanically ventilating the structure. Then you spend money on infrastructure & electricity you were hoping to avoid in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by pYr8 View Post
    Sometimes in the sweatbox hear, you spend a ton of money to seal things up, then have to spend a ton more on mechanically ventilating the structure. Then you spend money on infrastructure & electricity you were hoping to avoid in the first place.
    yes, seems like a vicious circle.

The more I read about it all, the more I think I'll build the next place with the "old way" of insulating. It's served me pretty well over the last 30 yrs.
    It will be just me and the old lady, in a 1700 - 2000 sq ft. home. Not gonna break the bank if the August light bill is $175 compared to $100. And I won't be wondering if I got moisture trapped in my home or a roof leak that I can't detect.

I got another year before I have to decide, so still plenty time to investigate my options.

18. Member
    If you go metal roofing check with your insurance company? I don't know this for a fact but have heard that when you have damage they will only replace the metal that is damaged and not the entire roof.

19. Member
    Sorry insurance companies will do the same thing with composite shingles.

Quote Originally Posted by Corkpuller View Post
    yes, seems like a vicious circle.

The more I read about it all, the more I think I'll build the next place with the "old way" of insulating. It's served me pretty well over the last 30 yrs.
    It will be just me and the old lady, in a 1700 - 2000 sq ft. home. Not gonna break the bank if the August light bill is $175 compared to $100. And I won't be wondering if I got moisture trapped in my home or a roof leak that I can't detect.

I got another year before I have to decide, so still plenty time to investigate my options.
    Well, inch for inch, close cell foam will give more R value than others. used in the walls then get about R-60 worth of fiberglass in the attic. Install your soffit vents and gable or ridge vents & you should be in good shape. Keep in mind here, I'm just armchair quarterbacking here... Check with the pros, I've talked with the feller from Du-West through his Texas Home Improvement radio show before, had a lot of helpful info. Here's a page with their contact info https://www.du-west.com/locations
    HTH bud

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12