Chatterbait Color Question

Been on a grass flat bite lately. I've always just used green pumpkin. The waters I fish are clearer than most in Florida. What do you factor in when choosing a color?

Forage for me, water clarity is secondary. I'll throw white where shad are the forage (here on the river) and water is moderately stained to clear, and err towards green pumpkin where bluegill are the forage or if the river is really clear. Green pumpkin in clear water to 3 feet or so of visibility, something like B-Hite delight in more stained water or low light conditions, black and blue in really stained or muddy water or the rain or after dark. Almost everywhere I fish has bluegill as the main forage, and I throw green pumpkin 80+% of the time.

If I'm honest I could probably just get by with green pumpkin and white, but we all know how confidence matters in things like that.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. Member
    I only have 2 colors, white for low light or cloudy conditions, green pumpkin shad for when the sun gets up. No real reason other than that's what the fish seem to like. I see no reason to have special colors for stained or clearer water, especially with a chatterbait.

I probably throw white/chartreuse more than any other color. My second most favorite color is perch...chartreuse with gold flakes and a few strands of clear and orange mixed in. We have a lot of lakes here that have yellow perch in them and bass readily feed on them. It's my favorite color for smallies. Third favorite color is green pumpkin, which I don't throw (but probably should) as much as I used to. I do throw plain white sometimes, especially in the fall. I also made some using a clear with silver flake skirt and a few black strands along the back...they look exactly like a shad in the water. But, they've been a disappointment so far, even through I do well with the same color of spinnerbait. The one color the pros brag on is black/blue. I made a couple and I don't think I've caught more than a handful of fish on black/blue in several years of trying.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

5. Member
    Few colors here as well. GP, white or white/chartreuse...never thought I needed anything else.

chatterbait, spinnerbait, swim jig, the majority of my bait around here is shad so I go with a pearl translucent to white to match the shad. I especially like a translucent pearl skirt or boot tail for clear water.

7. Member
    keep it simple. I only carry 3 colors. Green Pumpkin, white/chartreuse and black.
    2006 Skeeter ZX225

8. Member
    Black and blue can't be beat regardless of the water color or time of day.

9. Member
    My three favorites:

1. Black and blue
    2. Green pumkin
    3. White and a hint of chartreuse

Those would be my staples. Other colors I will use and do well on are bluegill and Okechobee craw

This year for some reason Black and blue is my first color I throw whether dirty or clear. It just gets bit. The other colors like are White and Green Pumpkin. I guess its just a confidence thing for me. I have done very well on it.

11. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I throw the Jackhammer in 2 colors, white and bhightsdelight. I mainly switch trailers between the 3.8” BPS speed Shad in bluegill flash or male perch in the summertime.

I’ve never been a green pumpkin thrower but I’m going to try that next; the people that are actually catching fish near me have been doing well on that color.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV