Faster than lightening!

Not really but last night a freak thunderstorm hit us on Pickwick and lightning was dropping way too close. It really did seem to come out of nowhere. We were already putting rods and things away to head in since the wind was picking up. When the lightning hit nearby I told Mark to put the rods down and hold on. I never advocate running fast at night.....unless lightening is dropping. I don't know how fast we ran to get to cover but it was fast enough. Thank goodness for a boat that can run and run well when you need it to. Any cookie cutter boat trolls who want to bash me for running fast in the dark...... well just keep it to yourself. I could care less what you think when I'm saving my old skin. LOL

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Maxwell View Post
    Not really but last night a freak thunderstorm hit us on Pickwick and lightning was dropping way too close. It really did seem to come out of nowhere. We were already putting rods and things away to head in since the wind was picking up. When the lightning hit nearby I told Mark to put the rods down and hold on. I never advocate running fast at night.....unless lightening is dropping. I don't know how fast we ran to get to cover but it was fast enough. Thank goodness for a boat that can run and run well when you need it to. Any cookie cutter boat trolls who want to bash me for running fast in the dark...... well just keep it to yourself. I could care less what you think when I'm saving my old skin. LOL
    I'm a cookie cutter boat owner (not a troll)... And I say run it however fast you feel safe running. My boat's slow, but I run it the same at midnight as I do at noon. I still remember the first time I went night fishing on a local lake with a buddy in his Ranger. We were up a creek flipping when a storm blew in and we had to get out fast. It was a pucker up moment for me as we're running out of the creek, storm getting closer, and he tells me: 'hold on... there are stump fields on both sides of the channel here'. At the time I thought he was crazy. Now I run the same area any time, Of course, when he did it (20 years ago) we didn't have GPS's to help us stay on course. We still chuckle about that night.

I'll now return to my regularly scheduled lurking.

Clint

3. BBC SPONSOR
    That lightning is just gonna BBQ my rearend, ive hit enough stuff at night for one life time
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClintCone View Post
    I'm a cookie cutter boat owner (not a troll)... And I say run it however fast you feel safe running. My boat's slow, but I run it the same at midnight as I do at noon. I still remember the first time I went night fishing on a local lake with a buddy in his Ranger. We were up a creek flipping when a storm blew in and we had to get out fast. It was a pucker up moment for me as we're running out of the creek, storm getting closer, and he tells me: 'hold on... there are stump fields on both sides of the channel here'. At the time I thought he was crazy. Now I run the same area any time, Of course, when he did it (20 years ago) we didn't have GPS's to help us stay on course. We still chuckle about that night.

I'll now return to my regularly scheduled lurking.

Clint
    Your a funny guy Clint. I didn't mean any disrespect to anyone with my cookie cutter statement. Last time I mentioned running fast on here with my family in the boat I got some not-so-nice responses about being reckless. An old fishing partner and I ran 60 miles once to stay just ahead of one of the worst storms I've been in. His boat was a Ranger 360 with a 200 which was a big motor back then. I was driving it WOT the whole way since my buddy didn't trust his driving skills flying at 72 MPH! LOL.