KY lake info needed

Headed to the great Kentucky lake next week - grew up going there but haven't been in down in a long time . I know the bass fishing isn't the same but I'm sure there are still some nice catches to be made ! Bringing my dad down for an 80th birthday trip and would love to see him land a few decent green ones . Any info is appreciated! I figure shallow in the am and move to ledges in afternoon . Whats the word on depth and primary food source ? Still gizzards? Carolina rigs still doing the job off shore ? Thanks ahead of time and really can't wait to be on the lake soon !

2. Member
    Check my post in the Ky lake thread. We were there a week ago but the fish were on the move making their was out to the main lake. I'd suspect that they are on the shallow ledges or at the mouths of the bays by now.

To be honest the majority of my good ledge fish come on a drop shot. I still catch em on a big worm, C-rig and a crankbait but a hair jig, heavy scrounger head with a mag fluke or a drop shot trick worm has definitely been the baits that put the most fish in the boat the past couple years.

3. Member
    The lake is up 2 ft and expected to keep rising with all this rain. Water color was good in big bear yesterday. Watch for things floating in the water. Fish could be in the bushes.

4. Member
    With the water rising Id fish shallow(er). Thats maybe because I have fished ledges in 15 mph winds the past 4 times out and want no more of that haha We shouldnt have these types of winds in June

5. Member
    You can catch some fish shallow. They are feasting on shad and fry right now.

6. Member
    Excellent info as always on BBC ! You all are awesome and I appreciate the info . Keep it coming if you know and I will let you know how we did when back in a week or so .

7. Member
    As some have said you can catch some shallow. Last weekend in our club tournament I was the only one with a limit. All but one came shallow and I lost three that would have helped me. That being said I only got 2nd. One guy had four of the ledges and beat me by 2 pounds. I do think you need to fish ledges to find the better fish. I just got tired of fight the wind and boats.

8. Member
    Will say that with the high winds the lake has seen, the fish on the ledges may not have seen as much pressure as you would expect this time in the year. The past two weekends on the lake have been rough. Really rough. I tried to fish around big sandy last weekend and we saw maybe 3-4 boats on that stretch. The wind had 4-5 footers out there. It made it impossible to fish.

9. Member
    Was out early this morning...first time out in 3 weeks. Had 18 bass. Fishing back shallow. Mostly on topwater but some on square bill and lipless crankbait. Only 4 keepers but topwater is too much fun and that is what I was out there for...Fun

10. Member
    Went out again this morning....only had 10 fish (7 on topwater but missed 5 blow ups). Biggest was 5lbs. Had a 6lb back shallow on square bill also after the top water bite died. Stopped on a ledge on the way in and had a 4lb on C-rig on first cast. Best 5 this morning went 20 lbs. Was off the water by 9:00 a.m. Not bad for a "dead" lake.

11. Member
    Great morning

12. Member
    Lake seems to be fishing good. We had our club tournament last Sunday and the winners had 17.92 with a 3 fish limit. 2nd was over 15# with 3 fish. Only one team 0. There was also a lot of smallmouth weighed In as well. My son and I caught smallmouth shallow all day. Was a fun and productive trip

I don’t know about KY but Barkley is a mess with all the stuff floating in it right now. Some very large trees out there so definitely keep your eyes open and be careful.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

14. Member
    Great trip with the whole family . Apperantly I was on a fish diet as I got three fish a day 2.5-3.5 lbs once I figured out a pattern . Main lake points with big rock and some wood . White spinner bait ,double willow blade and a chatter bait with a 3" paddle tail . Got 1 4.25 green one and they all where very soft hits on a yoyo return . I know the carp are affecting the lake pretty bad but growing up going down there once a year back in the 70s and 80s I still have a soft spot for that TVA gem . I'll keep her in my prayers and I really believe it's gonna come back someday !�� Thanks again for the info and good fishing to all ! Back to the mighty Mississippi i go

15. Member
    Fished for a few hours yesterday morning. Topwater bit was decent. Nothing to go crazy over but I'd rather catch a dozen on a Rico than staying home in bed. Didn't see any carp shallow. Moved out to main lake points and ledges and the carp were just awful out there. Hit several spots and never got a sniff. Moved back shallow with some shade and got bit on a worm. Schoolers chasing fry mostly. Just had three keepers. Lake was pretty empty of fishermen. A few pleasure boaters out. And it was a nice day for mid July.