Proper repair for water intrusion on ultrex

Like the title says, had water intrusion in my 4 month old 112 ultrex. Started making a clicking noise under load and the armature would move in and out about a quarter inch. Took to ASC and he removed bottom bolt. Little water came out but it was covered in rusty looking goo. What should be the expected repair?
    1998 Tr-21, 2001 Yamaha 225 OX66

2. Member
    I got a new motor and shaft when I found water in mine . I am sure every situation is different though .

3. Member
    It's going to depend on how extensive the water damage is.
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

4. Member
    Water in motor seems to be a major problem with the Ultrex, I’ve seen a number of posts with water intrusion. I also had to have the motor and shaft replaced because of water intrusion.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Smbass1 View Post
    Water in motor seems to be a major problem with the Ultrex, I’ve seen a number of posts with water intrusion. I also had to have the motor and shaft replaced because of water intrusion.
    Yes it does,I was just hoping I was a lucky one. I hope the asc replaces the motor, though he talked like cleaning it up and replacing anything that needed it. Something about a $2000 investment getting water in a major electrical component seems only right to replace it. I will kindly fight it if not. Surely it can't be good for the longevity of an electric motor to EVER have water in it, let alone only 4 months old. We shall see.

6. Member
    Anyone know the proper torque for the bolts that hold the lower unit together so that I can check mine periodically?

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Anyone know the proper torque for the bolts that hold the lower unit together so that I can check mine periodically?
    dont know the answer to that, but I got my motor back yesterday. Asc did great to get it fixed and back in a few days. Asc repaired this motor rather than replace. I'm still concerned that it's only 4 months old and I feel it should be replaced. He replaced a bearing and the front nose as well as all new Orings. Time will tell but I wish it would've bee replaced for my peace of mind. Tested it out and it works fine.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rat0502 View Post
    dont know the answer to that, but I got my motor back yesterday. Asc did great to get it fixed and back in a few days. Asc repaired this motor rather than replace. I'm still concerned that it's only 4 months old and I feel it should be replaced. He replaced a bearing and the front nose as well as all new Orings. Time will tell but I wish it would've bee replaced for my peace of mind. Tested it out and it works fine.
    I know it may not ease your peace of mind, but if it's repaired correctly it will probably be better than one coming down the assembly line. From what you're saying was replaced, sounds like they did it right.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    I know it may not ease your peace of mind, but if it's repaired correctly it will probably be better than one coming down the assembly line. From what you're saying was replaced, sounds like they did it right.
    John
    Thanks for the encouragement. he also mentioned a couple other "issues" he noticed while in there and said he fixed them. So I am truly hoping you are right and it will now be good to go for a long time! Thanks!

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    John
    What he said was, the guy that did the repair had all the parts in his hand. He wasn't on an assembly line where his only job was to put part A into part B twenty times an hour all day. He had the whole motor, and he knows if it screws up, the blame will be on him, not Minnkota. Many times a repaired or reconditioned item is better than a new one.

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Im thinking 65 - 75 inch #. Maybe john can step in.