LED Trailer Lights flicker when truck is off

Background is that I purchased a new tow vehicle. Since doing so, my trailer lights flicker rhythmically while the truck is off and it is parked in the lot at the lake. At first, I thought that it would quit after a while due to residual lights in the truck and the super-low voltage threshold needed to fire the LEDs. This is not the case, as it will still be blinking hours later when I return from fishing. For reference, this did not happen on my last tow vehicle.

I know that this is caused by small amounts of voltage building on the truck's trailer wiring, but I'm not sure how to stop it. Is there a fix out there...a resistor kit or something that can be added between the truck and trailer? It's not enough current to drain my truck's battery, but it is a bit annoying.

As I'm sitting here writing this, I'm wondering if it blinks in cadence with the security light on the dash??
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

2. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Can you tell if it is running lights, brake lights or both? What vehicle?
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

3. Member
    2019 GMC Sierra AT4 and it appears to be all of the marker lights. I don't think that the brake lights blink. They blink once every 15-20 seconds.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    I would kind of guess it’s the system try to see if a trailer is connected. Does it do it with the truck running with the lights turned off?
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Not sure, I will have to check. Would it continue to check, even if the engine is off and the key is nowhere close? It does have the trailer light check system that will tell you if bulbs are out.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

6. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MIZ-ZOU View Post
    Not sure, I will have to check. Would it continue to check, even if the engine is off and the key is nowhere close? It does have the trailer light check system that will tell you if bulbs are out.
    I wouldn’t think it should, but can’t imagine what else would be doing it.
    nothing else matters.​

7. Member
    I’m having the exact same issue with a new 2019 Sierra. Did you ever find a fix?

8. Member
    So i have a 2019 GMC as well and my trailer lights flicker. It's part of the trailering package. The truck continuously monitors for the connection and flashes intermittently. If you disconnect the trailer harness from the boat when the truck is locked, i was told the alarm will go off. I havent checked that yet but that's what it is supposed to do. Hope that helps...

9. Member

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrancom View Post
    A long but necessary read if you have a new truck. Used to be able to work on a truck without an encyclopedia of service bulletins.

Some engineers do not know what real world conditions are. That's why these failures using electronics to monitor certain things exist and must be rectified. Just my 2 cents.

12. Member
    Google “trailer lights flicker” and you’ll see that various brands of trucks do this. My 2016 F150 also does it with a 2019 triton (EZ Loader) with LED lights behind it. I quit worrying about.