Pantera IV Setup

Bass Cat Pantera IV 2004
    2005 Merc 200HP 3.0
    25P Tempest Plus
    Wide open 5300 RPM Summer and 5500 or so Winter. MPH-- 66 summer 69 (chine) winter, not much trim required on this one at all. Lots of tackle, so I would say full tournament load
    Stiff steering and not much lift. Cooler water in Spring and winter, I can get Chine around 68-69. Steering always seems stiff.
    Holeshot seems OK considering the load. Slidemaster manual plate looks to be about 1/8" below flush. I am reluctant to move higher since steering is so stiff.
    Not very impressed with the performance as it seems to take a long time to get to top speed with not much mid range at all and tough lots of steering torque.

2. Member
    I was thinking 24P fury. Or should I try messing with JP height?

3. Member
    water pressure around 20 at WOT.

4. Banned
    Go back to the setup page and read the sticky at the top about measuring prop to pad. If your really 1/8" below the pad it's about 3" too high which would explain the stiff steering and lack of lift.

5. Pat Goff
    That should be a pretty sporty setup.
    That is the prop I'd be rigging on it.
    So, what exactly is the boat telling you? You're not really clear on a couple of things, you say it doesn't lift, but you then say you don't use much trim.
    So, is 69 all it's got, or is 69 all you can take it to?
    Are you throwing a big roostertail?
    Not enough information yet to give a decent answer to.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

6. Member
    I meant jackplate setup looks like its about 1/8" from being flush for the sliding pieces, not 1/8" PTP

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcarrol View Post
    I meant jackplate setup looks like its about 1/8" from being flush for the sliding pieces, not 1/8" PTP
    Agree with others. Need to verify actual PTP.

My uncle has that exact model year '05 PIV with a 200 Opti. 25P tempest / 24P fury is the right prop. He does 74 MPH all day with 2 people loaded with his 24P fury.

8. Member
    Thanks Dmart

Quote Originally Posted by jmcarrol View Post
    That information is useless. You need to properly measure your PTP so you will know what it needs. You may be too low and have speed and rpm's to gain with the prop you have.

10. Member
    Is that 200 Opti or 200 EFI? I had '06 with 200 Opti. You will need to be closer to flush, but I hate to gauge by the top of the plate. Measure true prop to pad. You will probably end somewhere between 3-1/2 up to 3" (mine worked best at 3"), but they all can vary a little. If that doesn't work, prop might be bad. Too much trim, and it'll try to chine, don't let it get ahead of you. Mine liked a lot of trim, but you have to drive it. Seat time, seat time, seat time...

11. Member
    It's a 200 opti max 3.0L and it needs be set like taylor said 3.5 to 3" under so you have to measure your prop to pad.

12. Member
    Thank you. I will try to measure actual PTP this weekend.

13. Member
    Prop to pad measured 3.25"

14. Pat Goff
    So,
    Let's get down to details.
    Need to hear what the boat is telling you.
    Is 69 All it's got? Full power, full trim, or is 69 all you've got?
    That boat gets pretty light when it's running hard, if you're not used to that, you might not be finding all it's potential.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

15. Member
    Right now 69 is about all i have got as far as driving.

16. Pat Goff
    There should be some expert cat drivers in your part of the world, see if you can find one that can find it's potential. Then you'll know what you've got..
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

17. Member
    Agree with Pat. Those RPMs sound a little low for that prop, motor height and that boat. Even with a heavier load I wouldn't think you would be lugging the motor with that prop/height setup.