Evinrude G2 200hp starting issues

When I turn the key to start my G2 nothing happens until about four seconds. Sometimes it will kick over slightly but not start and sometimes it starts. Occassionally it wont start st all. It acts like the battery is low or not strong enough to start it. The voltage on etec gauge is showing 14.2 volts so should be plenty. Any ideas?
    2018 Ranger Z518C 200hp Rude.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

2022 Ram 2500 6.7l Cummins

Your problem is with the key switch. There is a new switch available and should take care of the problem. Take it to your dealer!
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    Your problem is with the key switch. There is a new switch available and should take care of the problem. Take it to your dealer!
    Thank you.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

Your dealer is or should be familiar with the problem as there have been bulletins sent about improved keyswitchs for the G2 engines.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Your dealer is or should be familiar with the problem as there have been bulletins sent about improved keyswitchs for the G2 engines.
    Dealer said there are no bulletins on it. I called Evinrude and they said there are no bulletins and for me to take it to the dealer.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by Cgs1967! View Post
    Dealer said there are no bulletins on it. I called Evinrude and they said there are no bulletins and for me to take it to the dealer.
    Please ask your dealer to reference service bulletin 2018-17(S) dated October 2018 concerning new key switch replacements for G2 outboards

This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a change to the AD-16 series key switches used with Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards.

Problem
    Intermittent key switch operation due to low current draw of digital electronic control system.

Solution

If experiencing intermittent key switch operation, check key switch operation as outlined in Service Bulletin 2018-08(S).

If the key switch operates intermittently, replace the key switch assembly. Replacement key switches have improvements to the electrical contacts to help prevent intermittent operation. Replacement key switches can be identified by a gray sleeve, the previous sleeve was black.

Order replacement Key Switch, P/N 5011011. Refer to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) if a key switch and panel kit is required.
    -----

Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    Please ask your dealer to reference service bulletin 2018-17(S) dated October 2018 concerning new key switch replacements for G2 outboards

This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a change to the AD-16 series key switches used with Evinrude E-TEC G2 outboards.

Problem
    Intermittent key switch operation due to low current draw of digital electronic control system.

Solution

If experiencing intermittent key switch operation, check key switch operation as outlined in Service Bulletin 2018-08(S).

If the key switch operates intermittently, replace the key switch assembly. Replacement key switches have improvements to the electrical contacts to help prevent intermittent operation. Replacement key switches can be identified by a gray sleeve, the previous sleeve was black.

Order replacement Key Switch, P/N 5011011. Refer to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) if a key switch and panel kit is required.
    Wow, that is exactly what I needed. Thank you for taking the time to provide me with this information.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

Be nice to your dealer when you show them the service bulletin. My guess is that a parts person was the one who said that their was no service bulletin. The service manager and a factory trained technician should know of them.

Evinrude has a feature on their dealer website where the dealer can type the engine serial number in and a list of bulletins and sevice publications concerning that particular motor will come up on the screen.
    -----

9. Member
    If your hot foot isn’t all the way back it’ll do the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cnsickles1 View Post
    If your hot foot isn’t all the way back it’ll do the same thing.
    I dont have one but it's on the short list.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

Dealer, ordered the switch but wanting to go out in the morning. For those that have had the same issue will it just be intermittent or just stop working all together? Should I risk going out or not?
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

12. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    What I have heard is intermittent.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

For me it was intermittent. When it did occur turning it of then back on and to start would make it work.
    Dan Burnette - Marietta, GA
    Triton 18TRX - 200 HO G2

Quote Originally Posted by Danrude View Post
    For me it was intermittent. When it did occur turning it of then back on and to start would make it work.
    Thanks, Dan. I went out today and it got worse as I went through the day. I think it is effected by voltage.
    12 inch HDS Carbon
    9 inch HDS Carbon

The problem is the internal construction of older style keyswitches. A G2 does not use 12 volts going through the switch like a traditional motor does. It uses a 5 volt control signal which makes then it much more critical for a good connection. The new switch with the gray sleeve has silver coated contacts inside of it
    -----