Thread: primer bulb

primer bulb

2019 115 pro sx 4 sroke
    SN 2B681557
    Recently re powered with the 4 stroke and the dealer charged me for a new primer bulb and fuel line.I read to not use a primer bulb for this motor.Should i remove the primer. Any issues if I leave it as is. Thanks

2. Member
    Earlier on there was a big discussion on here about your question. Based on discussion I removed mine. If I had it to do over I would not remove.
    Best I can tell it does not hurt a thing. Now someone will come along an say warranty issue. I doubt it!
    In the very unlikely event that your fuel pump died you could use bulb to get you back to ramp.

Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Earlier on there was a big discussion on here about your question. Based on discussion I removed mine. If I had it to do over I would not remove.
    Best I can tell it does not hurt a thing. Now someone will come along an say warranty issue. I doubt it!
    In the very unlikely event that your fuel pump died you could use bulb to get you back to ramp.
    It states in the installation manual to remove it and replace the line , rules out any fuel restrictions that may be fuel related if u were to have a issue.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    Would squeezing a primer bulb really provide enough pressure to run a fuel injected motor?
    2011 Tracker PT 175 TF
    2011 Merc 60 ELPT 4S

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Tracker View Post
    Would squeezing a primer bulb really provide enough pressure to run a fuel injected motor?
    No- but it can cause other problems in the fuel system.

There should be NO PRIMER BULB installed with this engine. The Installation Instructions and the Service Manual are both quite clear on this topic.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    I removed it. Thanks
    Last edited by blackwater; 06-27-2019 at 01:35 PM.

7. Member
    150 4 stroke primer bulb question. Serial #2B467082 Do I need to remove the primer bulb? I have read the installation manual and I cannot find any mention of primer bulb except "run out of fuel condition" Priming the FSM it says "if a primer bulb is installed it can be used during the priming event to shorten the amount of time required to start the engine" If I need to take it off I certainly will. Do I replace it with a piece of tubing?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lperry View Post
    150 4 stroke primer bulb question. Serial #2B467082 Do I need to remove the primer bulb? I have read the installation manual and I cannot find any mention of primer bulb except "run out of fuel condition" Priming the FSM it says "if a primer bulb is installed it can be used during the priming event to shorten the amount of time required to start the engine" If I need to take it off I certainly will. Do I replace it with a piece of tubing?
    In the future, please try to keep your (separate) engine in a separate thread so as to avoid confusion and/or Post Hi-Jacking. Thanks!

There should be no primer bulb in the fuel line- and preferably no additional splices, either.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor