Did U.S. military personnel really earn all their medals?

A friend emailed me this internet article and after reading, it reminded me of some of the things I experienced while in service.

https://johntreed.com/blogs/john-t-r...l-their-medals

2. Member
    I read most of the article. Seems Like John has a burr under his saddle for not being awarded more medals for his service. First, thank you John for your service. Most of the men and women i have met during my 24 years active duty and 12 years as a civilian with the 101st are there to serve their country in the best manner possible. I have never met one who is there to collect any medals. Being a West Point grad, Ranger, SF, or any have any other qualification does not give one more credit for earning any medal. Those type units will put their members in higher risk missions that may or may not end in action that merits an award. As for senior NCO's taking care of themselves or their their peers is just not true. Maybe 1 in a million. I retired as a SGM from a company in 5th SFG(A). My major concern was ensuring the teams had the necessary resources to complete their assigned missions, the right training, and the best support possible when they were deployed. There will never be an all equal system for awarding medals for heroism. So much of it depends on the right up and the understanding by the approving authority of the actions performed. OK, I've said enough. God bless America and all those who served and are serving our great country.
    Mike Williams
    SGM retired.

3. Member
    Great post Mike.

I do remember one certain 2nd Lt.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

5. Member
    They gave Bronze Stars away like potato chips in Iraq...I got one and if I was totally honest I was embarrassed to accept it .....I closed on and engaged the enemy but so did my Junior NCOs and enlisted...I got a Bronze Star because of my rank...I honestly believe that...It was pretty common over there..
    With the current point systems awards are a pretty decent percentage for promotion..Commands feel like they are helping their soldiers out by giving awards...That could be debated all day but that is where some of it is driven..If a soldier comes from a unit that is tight with awards it could put him at a disadvantage ....Awards will always be a hot topic and the system will always be questioned...
    Last edited by brnzbaklvr; 07-02-2019 at 08:35 PM.
    "Historically the most terrible things-war, genocide and slavery-have resulted not from disobedience but from obedience"
    Zinn

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brnzbaklvr View Post
    They gave Bronze Stars away like potato chips in Iraq...I got one and if I was totally honest I was embarrassed to accept it .....I closed on and engaged the enemy but so did my Junior NCOs and enlisted...I got a Bronze Star because of my rank...I honestly believe that...It was pretty common over there..
    With the current point systems awards are a pretty decent percentage for promotion..Commands feel like they are helping their soldiers out by giving awards...That could be debated all day but that is where some of it is driven..If a soldier comes from a unit that is tight with awards it could put him at a disadvantage ....Awards will always be a hot topic and the system will always be questioned...
    At least you closed with and engaged the enemy. I deployed with an Army support battalion as a civilian in 2012. One of the first things there was an award ceremony for the Soldiers that were headed back home. They called us all to attention and started reading the first award, a Bronze Star. I was immediately impressed and started paying better attention to hear the citation... Awarded for outstanding performance as a supply officer. Next Bronze Star, outstanding performance as a logistics officer..... It went on until they got to the enlisted, they got AACs. I guess that awards are easier to get since my retirement in 2003. Semper Fi to all who have served but don't get wrapped up if you were or weren't given medals for every routine task you performed. In the end, it somehow helped a grunt sporting a weapon and closing with the enemy.

7. Member
    Maybe, maybe not but no one ever asked me to explain precisely how I obtained mine. That is like my high school and college diplomas/degrees as no one asked me how I got them. Interesting fact but very true, think about it.

8. Member
    I earned every medal I received, even if I had to put myself in for them.

9. Member
    I hardly earned any of the awards and promotions I got, guess I was smart enough to give intent and let the Marines do their jobs.

I was just a one termer...no career. I had the National Service (Patio Commando) ribbon that every basic trainee gets and expert marksman. After my tour in Guam I was told that I qualified for the two Vietnam ribbons but I never put them on. My time in "direct combat support" from 3000 miles away paled in comparison to the guys with bloody bandages and muddy boots, I saw on the MedEvac flights going to the Navy hospital. Other airmen I knew wore them but I wouldn't.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

11. Member
    Before I read this, I always thought the Bronze Star was only for Valor. Apparently it is not.

"The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, after December 6, 1941, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguishes himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight."

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I was just a one termer...no career. I had the National Service (Patio Commando) ribbon that every basic trainee gets and expert marksman. After my tour in Guam I was told that I qualified for the two Vietnam ribbons but I never put them on. My time in "direct combat support" from 3000 miles away paled in comparison to the guys with bloody bandages and muddy boots, I saw on the MedEvac flights going to the Navy hospital. Other airmen I knew wore them but I wouldn't.
    When I was in you worn everything on your service record or you got dinged.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    When I was in you worn everything on your service record or you got dinged.
    There wasn't anybody asking many questions where I was at when I got back. I was a SP so I wore fatigues most of the time but even when I moved into law enforcement I still never wore the Vietnam ribbons. I didn't do anything to deserve them and I they could have dinged me all they wanted. I had a high school friend that caught a phosphorus grenade over there...another that was in the 101st that was so messed up when he came back that he drugged and drank himself into a grave in his early 30s. I did my time..."humped the ramp" and (mostly) stayed out of trouble and got out...the good old United States Government provided me with a college education and made it possible for me to buy a house...that was all the reward I needed.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by csurp View Post
    Before I read this, I always thought the Bronze Star was only for Valor. Apparently it is not.

"The Bronze Star Medal is awarded to any person who, after December 6, 1941, while serving in any capacity with the Armed Forces of the United States, distinguishes himself or herself by heroic or meritorious achievement or service, not involving participation in aerial flight."
    Wow I did Iraq twice with Army Nat.Guard UH-60 Bn. Most if not all pilots got a bronze star and E-7 and above got a bronze star. As far as a unit looking out for it's people most E-7 and above would already be maxed out on award points. Might have helped the young officer and warrant officer pilots. But for a NCO doesn't take much to max out award points for promotion.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weez556 View Post
    Wow I did Iraq twice with Army Nat.Guard UH-60 Bn. Most if not all pilots got a bronze star and E-7 and above got a bronze star. As far as a unit looking out for it's people most E-7 and above would already be maxed out on award points. Might have helped the young officer and warrant officer pilots. But for a NCO doesn't take much to max out award points for promotion.
    Hmmm, this is odd unless they were on a staff tour and not flying. I see Air medals and aerial achievement for most. A Distinguished Flying Cross would be more appropriate than a BSM for aviators

I spent 30 years in uniform, enlisted and commissioned officer. There came a point where writing awards for my people meant much more than receiving them. The upper level awards have more to do with rank and or position than they do with performance.