150 HP ETec G2 (C150PLHAAD) - NO OIL Alarm

Hi,

1.5 hours into my club tourney last night she threw the NO OIL alarm, hence I had to limp 2 hours back to the ramp, not real happy but not real sad either....

Taking her to the Dealer this Friday, the question I have is:

Has anyone else experienced this, and I suspect it's a pump or sensor issue, and for those who have had this experience, was it easily fixed and an isolated event i.e. not repetitive?

The Dealer stated that they are not aware of any chronic issues....

Thanks
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop
    82# MotorGuide Tour Pro TM
    Fishes as good as anything out there, with the TM down...

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Have to ask, did you check the oil tank to see if there was oil in the tank?

3. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Have to ask, did you check the oil tank to see if there was oil in the tank?
    Yes Sir... as a matter of fact I topped it off prior to the event. Cap was on correctly too...
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

4. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    I think there were a few issues with the oil level float on some earlier engines....was a bulletin on it....Seahorse would know.

5. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmeister View Post
    I think there were a few issues with the oil level float on some earlier engines....was a bulletin on it....Seahorse would know.
    i bought mine in 2018
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

It is possible that it is something simple such as a crimped grommet restricting the low oil switch. Let us know what the dealer finds out and corrects for you.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

7. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Will do…
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

8. Member
    +1 to Seahorse, had the crimped grommet issue on one of our Pro Staff 150s. Dealer fixed us up quick.

9. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    OK, so my NO OIL alarm issue was a loose connector on the oil pump. Tech found it like 10 minutes. Apparently the connector was not seated enough for the captive tabs and worked itself loose over time.
    All good now!!

Thank you all for your input...

H2E!
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

10. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    Hi,

1.5 hours into my club tourney last night she threw the NO OIL alarm, hence I had to limp 2 hours back to the ramp, not real happy but not real sad either....

Taking her to the Dealer this Friday, the question I have is:

Has anyone else experienced this, and I suspect it's a pump or sensor issue, and for those who have had this experience, was it easily fixed and an isolated event i.e. not repetitive?

The Dealer stated that they are not aware of any chronic issues....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by King_Fish View Post
    OK, so my NO OIL alarm issue was a loose connector on the oil pump. Tech found it like 10 minutes. Apparently the connector was not seated enough for the captive tabs and worked itself loose over time.
    All good now!!

Thank you all for your input...

H2E!

Glad it was a simple fix that got took care of in a timely manner...I have a question. when you said you had a 2 hour limp back to the ramp was your motor in slow mode or did you just idle. Did the light stay on non stop?

12. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    Glad it was a simple fix that got took care of in a timely manner...I have a question. when you said you had a 2 hour limp back to the ramp was your motor in slow mode or did you just idle. Did the light stay on non stop?
    When the problem started we were running WOT, NO OIL came on and she went immediately into slow mode. I turned her off for a couple minutes, restarted w no lights and took off again. Rather than turn around and head back toward the ramp, I continued on, and went through the same evolution a couple more times. Once I decided to head back, she threw the alarm again and it was now on solid. The engine started fine and would only run in slow mode at this point, with NO OIL on solid, so off I went idling for 2 hours back to ramp. The dealer told me that when this motor is in slow mode it can run without oil feed, so in slow or safe mode the motor is protected, basically it did what it is programmed to do.
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop

13. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Thanks for the explanation. I have experience a no oil light three time and all three times it was the next trip out after I filled my oil tank. First time was as soon as I started the motor at the ramp. The motor only ran a couple seconds and I turned the key off. I squeezed my oil primer bulb and restarted with no issues. The next time it happen after filling my oil tank it happen twice in a row. I had just left the no wake zone at the ramp and was about 1/2 mile up the lake when the alarm went off. I throttled back and killed the motor. Alarm was only on for a few seconds when I turned off the motor. I primed my oil tank bulb and took off and it happened again as soon I hit around 4500. I done the same as before but this time the rest of the day it ran fine.

Based on what you described and what happen to me I don't "think" a motor goes into slow mode unless the light stays on continuous. In my case I shut my motor off after a few seconds so I do not know if my light would have stay on solid.

What I find odd is the three times mine went off it was the very next trip after filling my oil tank. Coincidence maybe or possibly I need a new oil primer bulb since pump the bulb appears to be what made my alarm not re-occur.

14. Charlie Don't Surf! King_Fish's Avatar
    You are correct about slow mode only when the light is on. The first few times mine came on , cycling the key switch cleared the light. When it finally came on solid, I could not clear the light, and that is when I began my 2 hour tour of the Mon. River....in S L O W mode.

Good luck to you, hopefully something easy will fix yours too.

BTW - the G2 does not have a primer bulb
    2018 Ranger RT198p
    Charcoal Metallic
    Etec 150HP G2 HO
    24p Raker Stainless prop