Admitting defeat. Could use help

After 2 seasons, tons of seat time and a million interweb searches I am admitting defeat on how to handle chine walk. I have an 05 triton tr196. Anyone in the west metro willing to spend some time in the rig and help me out?

If no one takes you up on this I will meet you up towards Fergus falls/Detroit lakes area. In a couple weeks
    Last edited by Fishysam; 06-27-2019 at 12:08 PM.
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

3. Member
    ^^ wish I had a like button for this.
    1985 Ranger 340v w/ 1985 Johnson GT150 Crossflow
    2018 BassCat Pantera Classic w/ 2018 Mercury 200 ProXS

4. Member
    I'd say it's not that difficult...but, I know some of those Tritons are real bastards to drive! I have experience in my Bullet, and people say they are difficult to figure out; ut I was lucky to figure it out right away.

Have you tried different props? Engine heights? Balancing your boat better?

5. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    If no one takes you up on this I will meet you up towards Ferguson falls/Detroit lakes area. In a couple weeks
    Id take him up on this! Once you get it dialed in and learn to drive it, it will be second nature to you! Can’t say enough good about a member looking out for another like this!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by RFeyoMN View Post
    I'd say it's not that difficult...but, I know some of those Tritons are real bastards to drive! I have experience in my Bullet, and people say they are difficult to figure out; ut I was lucky to figure it out right away.

Have you tried different props? Engine heights? Balancing your boat better?
    If you can drive a Bullet, you can definitely drive a Triton. I do agree that it sounds like something isn't set up ideal. Tritons like to chinewalk, but after my Dad having both a Bullet and a Triton, I can confirm that while you deal with chinewalk on the Triton, it requires a lot more to balance a Bullet on that small bit of pad than it does to get a Triton to stop walking.

Agree that once you get it, you get it. But it's definitely a feel thing, and it's counterintuitive in the same way that backing a trailer is counterintuitive. Awesome offer above!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

Mike where do you live? I live in Edina. Feel free to PM me.

8. Member
    Cant say thank you enough guys. To answer some of the questions. Yes, I have tried different props. I have adjusted motor height as much as I can. I have a set back plate and am limited to what adjustments i can make. I have tried to balance my boat as much as i can. Trust me i have tried just about everything i have found on the web. With the exception of having someone show me. But I'm open to more suggestions. I run a 25 tempest with 2" ptp

It is just like riding a bike and having someone there to help will take about 10 minutes to get you dialed in. We will get you going.

Boat balance, ptp, prop, etc all help, but having an game plan for how to stay ahead of the walk is what is required. If you wait for it to start walking you are screwed. Do you have pro trim and a hot foot?

Guessing a Merc 200? If so, the one you have is exactly the prop I'd be sticking on it first. It does sound like the motor is up a little high for that setup and that would definitely make it act more squirrely - closer to 3.5" PtP would probably make it much easier to handle - but also totally get that it doesn't sound like it's easy to adjust yours by much. I'm really saying all this to hopefully validate the fact that that setup would definitely not be easy to drive once it really gets going. Still something that can be overcome with a little help though. You'll get it once you see what you need to do!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

11. Member
    It was at 2.75 ptp. But I talked to mark crofton and he said my prop is hard to beat for my boat but he suggested raising it to 1.75 and learn how to drive my boat. Lol. He said it in a much friendlier helpful tone though.

Quote Originally Posted by mnmike View Post
    It was at 2.75 ptp. But I talked to mark crofton and he said my prop is hard to beat for my boat but he suggested raising it to 1.75 and learn how to drive my boat. Lol. He said it in a much friendlier helpful tone though.
    If Mark Croxton told you that, then ignore this hack hiding behind a keyboard!
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"