Question Getting debris out of livewell

Any good ways of getting fish scales and small debris out of the livewell? Since the drains are not at the very bottom of the livewell, it always leaves about a quart of water and I just can't flush it out.

2. Member
    ShopVac

I keep a gallon jug of peroxide in the garage and just dump a few cups in each well after the tourney - the peroxide dissolves anything organic and kills any potential invasive species and any smell. Peroxide is also a livewell additive so its actually good for the fish. You can buy it in bulk at any beauty supply store like Sally's etc.
    2024 Phoenix 21 XE - Mercury 250 PRO XS Serial #3B429919
    2017 Phoenix PHX 21 - Yamaha 250 SHO
    2010 Skeeter 20i - Yamaha 250 SHO
    1988 Procraft 1780 Competitor - Mercury 100

Quote Originally Posted by Meleagris1 View Post
    I keep a gallon jug of peroxide in the garage and just dump a few cups in each well after the tourney - the peroxide dissolves anything organic and kills any potential invasive species and any smell. Peroxide is also a livewell additive so its actually good for the fish. You can buy it in bulk at any beauty supply store like Sally's etc.
    I'll give it a try. My wife is a hair stylist and I'll have her pick me up some.

5. Member
    There is a youtube video out somewhere, I tried to find it quick with no luck, where Aaron Martins shows you how to use a small minnow net to scoop out debris. That's what I use. I put in water to fill up the lower section where the plug is, then scoop all the debris out, then drain. It's really easy.
    2022 Phoenix 721 / 250 Mercury ProXs / MK Ultrex
    HB Helix 12 G4N / Garmin 106sv / Livescope

6. Member
    I keep a big thick cotton towel in my shop just for that. I push it down into the bottom of the livewell a couple of times and the big towel soaks it up. Then I wring the towel out over the side of the boat. Only takes a minute to do both sides.
    2024 G3 1710 / 2024 Yamaha 90 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix618Pro View Post
    I keep a big thick cotton towel in my shop just for that. I push it down into the bottom of the livewell a couple of times and the big towel soaks it up. Then I wring the towel out over the side of the boat. Only takes a minute to do both sides.
    Quote Originally Posted by DEFMP View Post
    There is a youtube video out somewhere, I tried to find it quick with no luck, where Aaron Martins shows you how to use a small minnow net to scoop out debris. That's what I use. I put in water to fill up the lower section where the plug is, then scoop all the debris out, then drain. It's really easy.

I like the towel trick but both are good ideas

Couple years ago someone suggested a cheap kids water blaster. That's what I use pulls out scales and fish poop too. Shoot it into an empty gallon jug.

Have your wife buy a gallon of the 20% peroxide but then you can mix it with 2/3 water to get normal strength peroxide which is all you need.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix618Pro View Post
    That's what I do. Soak up the water with the towel then use it to wipe scales and other crap out of the bottom.

11. Member
    I use an ear syringe to suck up the last little bit of water. Keep it in The boat. Old towel to dry and scoop out debris and scales.
    2011 721
    2021 250 Mercury 4S, Fury 24

12. Member
    The water that remains in the livewell is a design flaw that I'm surprised they haven't fixed yet. This could be fixed by placing drain on bottom of livewell rather than an inch or so above bottom. Personally, I don't feel I should have to shop vac, towel dry or suction up any water from a livewell that the valve was opened on. It should be dry.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

Quote Originally Posted by dstep0 View Post
    The water that remains in the livewell is a design flaw that I'm surprised they haven't fixed yet. This could be fixed by placing drain on bottom of livewell rather than an inch or so above bottom. Personally, I don't feel I should have to shop vac, towel dry or suction up any water from a livewell that the valve was opened on. It should be dry.
    Love my Bird but I have to agree.

The idea behind that depression is to give regurgitated material a place to settle and stay out of recirculation. I came out of a Skeeter that didn't have this and although its not perfect it does keep a % of crab and fish parts out of the water (and your pumps). My PHX holds maybe 1 cup of water that spot and the peroxide easily dissolves everything in it. From the point of view of invasives though it actually its more of a problem because if you don't use bleach or peroxide then you could unknowingly transport them.

15. Member
    The idea behind that depression is to give regurgitated material a place to settle and stay out of recirculation. I came out of a Skeeter that didn't have this and although its not perfect it does keep a % of crab and fish parts out of the water (and your pumps). My PHX holds maybe 1 cup of water that spot and the peroxide easily dissolves everything in it. From the point of view of invasives though it actually its more of a problem because if you don't use bleach or peroxide then you could unknowingly transport them.
    This is an excellent point. I never considered it before. Like most guys, I just complained about the little bit of standing water. I towel it out and it stays really clean. Also, I've never had any pump issues in 6+ years of running two different Phoenix boats so I'm guessing they put the drain in the right place.

16. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    yep!
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

17. Member
    I always wondered if that were the reason for that depression. I've never heard a for sure answer or anyone else speak of it. Always question and wonder why they have to remove that bit of water lol. Good deal.

18. Member
    That's what the screens are for. I'd much rather clean the screens every couple trips than have to towel out water.
    Phoenix 721 - Yamaha SHO 250 - 8' Blades

That's what the screens are for. I'd much rather clean the screens every couple trips than have to towel out water.
    The screens keep much of it out of the pumps but if there is a lot scales and crab parts the screens can get blocked, and it all keeps recirculating in the water without a place to settle. That pocket traps heavier debris keeping both the screens and water a little cleaner. Its not a perfect system but I do think it does its job.

20. Member
    +1. Super annoying.