Banned

Adding hydraulic lift assist to storage lids?

So i was fishing caught a decent one and went to reach for my pliers in the compartment in front of the console. Layed my rod down next to me....and either thought nothing of it and shut the lid, or the lid closed in the heat of the moment....and snapped my damn rod almost right in half. I think the lid got closed in the havoc cuz the fish was gut hooked and I was in surgery mode.

I know the glass boats and higher end boats have those hydraulic assists. Anyone ever add any to their trackers? How do you screw them in...or do you need to weld/solder it to the lid? I figured a rivet would make the smallest footprint on the other end of the lid, and figure using screws is a no no since the sharp end will be sticking up on the casting deck area. is there an adhesive that might work, or what needs to be done to install them.

If you all have any recommendations for parts itd be appreciated too.

2. Member
    I installed stainless spring lifts that I got cheap off of ebay on the two front compartments just like the one that was installed on the middle rod locker on my boat from the factory. They don't really assist any in opening the compartments, but hold them at 90 degrees when open. I thought about installing the hydraulic lifts instead, but was not sure what size to get. I clamped mine to the lid where I wanted them and drilled holes through the lid and rivited them from the top side. Here is a picture of one that I installed

3. Member
    This may have been talked about a few years ago might also try a search on the tin boat page. Also look in the "sticky" or projects above here and on tin boat page.

4. Member
    The only lid that's big enough to warrant a lift assist is the rod locker, and it already has one. It would be a waste to put lifts on most of the lids in my PT190.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbully71 View Post
    The only lid that's big enough to warrant a lift assist is the rod locker, and it already has one. It would be a waste to put lifts on most of the lids in my PT190.
    What do you mean? Lid came down on my rod. not really doing it for the assist, more doing it to avoid losing a rod in a similar situation.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmc575 View Post
    What do you mean? Lid came down on my rod. not really doing it for the assist, more doing it to avoid losing a rod in a similar situation.

Or....you could just avoid laying rods across an open lid...
    2020 Nitro Z21 Pro | Mercury 250 Pro XS |Ultrex 36v 112 MDI | Solix G2 chirp/mega SI 10 and 12 |Garmin 93sv UHD w/LiveScope| 8' PowerPole Blades

7. Member
    I would also be interested in adding these to my Boxes, I have installed two worm bag holders in my lids so the lids are a little more heavy and you never know if a wave or gust of wind would slam them closed, Ive looked at them on Ebay and amazon there cheap enough its just getting the right length a lift weight to work without having the lids pop open when hitting a wave, I know you could always lock them but that would get to be a pain when fishing, the spring looks like a good ideal I just dont know if there is room for it to fold down I have either 14 or 15 3700 boxes in the front box. mine is a 2006 so I have 2 side rod lockers and 2 storage boxes in the middle. and would love to add spinner bait and buzz bait racks in the other one.